So How Do Treasure Do It?

squirtle

I think the talent they have is that they can deliver excellent gameplay but at the same time they bring charm and really quite gentle humour along too. Usually games that are as competently put together as Treasure's are quite serious, but you (I) spend the majority of the time giggling when playing some Treasure games. It's light-hearted fun but the gameplay doesn't suffer for it.

There certainly are a few on there...the kind that make sure all their games remain shrink wrapped and cut a slit on the bottom to slide the game out...or theres worse where they buy special shrink wrapping packs, sorta like dust sleaves to put over their games. :D

;)

Come across a few people like this in my time!

Sure everyone likes stuff in nice condition, but I think it can be taken a bit far. I mean when a game is opened, no matter what you do to it, its still open!

I suppose its like collecting anything really, you can take it to the extreme.

Alot of the stuff i collect (and play) is old; eg SFC, Megadrive, N64, so I don`t have a heart attack when i see the odd mark /crease on the box. Nice to get stuff mint though, that is 10-15 years old.

Saying that, I have a few factory sealed games myself :):D

:)

Got to be my favorite level in any game ever.

I've got an N64 setup on my desk in work, and Sin & Punishment is the only game that sit in the slot. it might as well be a Sin & Punishment console.

The battleship level to me is mind blowing; its the way the flight path gets more and more crazy at the level progresses, flying upside down, with the top of your head nearly touching the ocean is crazy. Also in the balance of the level, there is so much to shoot at, replay value to top score is a great challenge,

Your right about that.... bit its the bits on any difficulty where it slows down and you have to deal with the rubbish slow homing missiles.... id rather just destroy the turrets to be had with them, but on harder difficultys the invicable planes (invicable to all but shot back misiles) cut you up as they fly towards you ;)....

anyway, anybody played Rakugaki showtime? ive seen it for £90 @_@;

Hey - new here, but I've been reading this forum for a few months.

Going back to the original point, I agree with Squirtle in that I love playing Gradius V and Ikaruga, even though I'm utterly hopeless at both. Only time I get to really play games is after work (get home around 7-ish), and I'm never at my best anyway after staring at a screen all day.

Problem is, when after yet ANOTHER failed attempt to beat Ikaruga's level 3 boss, I switch my cube off and walk away, I feel like such a pussy. Still, it's fun while it lasts.

First couple of levels of Gradius V seem to be a bit more forgiving, so you can have a decent blast without getting annihilated too quickly.

TBH, I sometimes can't tell if I genuinely like these games, or just think I should like them. I honestly don't have the time or inclination to memorise attack patterns and all that nonsense, and for pure satisfaction value, I'd pick something like Metroid Prime 2 over either of these any day.

Still, they look cool, and I will persevere, by hook or by crook, cos I want to see the cool boss designs I'm so far missing out on.

A colleague of mine posted an intersting comment on his blog, about how people ousource their MMORPG playing, so why not outsource stuff like Ikaruga too? Get someone else to unlock your levels, then you can sail through them at your leisure.

Ousourcing twitch gaming

TBH, I sometimes can't tell if I genuinely like these games, or just think I should like them.

I know exactly what you mean, except I don't get it with twitch gaming but with RPGs and adventure games.

I think that everyone has certain 'native' genres, but a sensible gamer will try something in a genre they're not a fanatic in, based on recommendations from other people who know what they're talking about. I certainly know I've done this. At times I've felt "this isn't my kind of game" but ultimately it's been worth it. A bit like watching a film in a genre you're not too keen on, but which is a very good work so can still be appreciated.

A colleague of mine posted an intersting comment on his blog, about how people ousource their MMORPG playing, so why not outsource stuff like Ikaruga too? Get someone else to unlock your levels, then you can sail through them at your leisure.

Ousourcing twitch gaming

Haha! There are other ways to solve the problem, in games which don't require strict adherence to a ruleset by not being social (online). For instance, in Ikaruga's case it unlocks the extras by how long you play, not just how far you get (not ideal, but better than being forced to have a skill transplant). Tap in codes have gone out of fashion, I'm not sure if I think that's a shame or not.

Tap in codes have gone out of fashion, I'm not sure if I think that's a shame or not.

Ah, yes - remember they used to stick 'pokes' on the end of free tapes with Spectrum magazines?

They used to do it with Official UK Playstation mag, where you could download a save from FF7 onto your memory card with tonnes of materia (or whatever it was called), XP, etc etc. Still couldn't be bothered though, I'd already fallen out with Final Fantasy by that point, having played for 60-odd hours and got to a point where I was simply too weak to beat that chap that started chucking planets at you (grrr).

Big RPGs like that are games I'd love to be able to truly like, but don't. I bought FF9 at the time and loved it, but just started to get bored. A friend has given me a copy of FF X-2 now that I have a ps2, I popped it in and marvelled at the FMV, then completely lost interest once the first battle kicked in. Still, at least I know that's a whole genre I needn't bother with anymore - I can devote more time and money to Treasure shmups instead ;-)

Wait, Progear has been emulated

On the PC - yes (dunno about Xbox version though)

Problem is, when after yet ANOTHER failed attempt to beat Ikaruga's level 3 boss, I switch my cube off and walk away, I feel like such a pussy. Still, it's fun while it lasts.

First couple of levels of Gradius V seem to be a bit more forgiving, so you can have a decent blast without getting annihilated too quickly.

TBH, I sometimes can't tell if I genuinely like these games, or just think I should like them. I honestly don't have the time or inclination to memorise attack patterns and all that nonsense, and for pure satisfaction value, I'd pick something like Metroid Prime 2 over either of these any day.

Still, they look cool, and I will persevere, by hook or by crook, cos I want to see the cool boss designs I'm so far missing out on.

Top name, Top game, nice post. I know exactly how you feel. I like shumps because i love on screen mass destruction, but i've only recently come around to the attack and high score innovations companies are using to invigorate the genre. Even so, i do tire of certain games....

Ikaruga's mechanic works really well, whereas i'm not keen on Psyvariar's.

Conversly Graidus V and R-type Delta offer nothing new per se, but because they're based around wanton destruction, they remain fun to play.

EspGaluda strides both, mixing up mass chaos with the best score mechnic i've ever seen.

EspGaluda strides both, mixing up mass chaos with the best score mechnic i've ever seen.

I'm presuming Espgaluda doesn't have a European release? Psyvariar does, but you don't exactly sell that to me ;)

I don't know why I'm asking, anyway, Gradius V and Ikaruga are more than enough for my paltry skills.

I never 'got' the whole Treasure thing. I've tried a few but generally not really liked 'em;

Mischief Makers - admittedly this got all of about 15 minutes of my time. I bought it post Mario64 and the same day as Mystical Ninja, so I'm not surprised I wasn't impressed. ;)

Bangaio - Had people harping on at me for months about this so I finally bought it for £30. Looked and played like an Amiga game. And not a very good one at that. I feel I must have missed the point, but I got about 8 levels in and just hated it, shitty, fiddly little character graphics and everything. Sorry. :(

Tiny Toons : Defenders of the Loonyverse - I played the finished game of this for evaluation (we were looking to publish it) and, while innovative, it got really stale really quickly. Seemed a big case of being different for the sake of it. As I understand it now, I was in a fortunate position to play this unreleased 'gem', and probably could have snaffled the copy without too much hassle. Ah well. Did it ever come out in the end? :lol:

Freak-Out - Loved the look of the pencil drawn hub world. Liked the scarf idea and the controls. Went looking for the game but didn't find it. Found lots of dull level design, over elaborate bosses (I hate bosses so this was probably the worst possible title for me), and big round girls with big round tits. :(

Ikaruga - quite liked this, but never played it much, I have to admit. I've played other shmups that I like much more, but I'm not a massive fan of the genre so I know I'm not the best person to judge it's quality. Seemed nice enough.

I get there's a lot of love for Treasure, but I really don't get why. Especially with Bangaio.