100 Greatest Cartoons

Popo

That South Park was really funny, and really clever. Make you realise how stupid the outrage about swearing on TV actually is.

Many people say South Park got shit after the novelty of swearing kids wore off, when really it got far funnier once that novelty wore off because then they started getting clever with their writing and satire. It's a shame some people who haven't watched it since it's 'kids swearing a lot' days still dismiss it as juvenile.

Next: Cripple fight!!1!11!!1!!

I agree. it annoys me on shows like this when they use clips from the older series. south park has always been good but the older episodes aren't half as funny as the newer ones. like the one they used with cartman speaking really slowly.

still my favourite show ever.

Dull facts time!

An American Tail, Antz, Captain Kremmen, Final Fantasy: The Spirit Within, Heavy Metal, Mary, Mungo and Midge, Monkey Dust, ReBoot, Shark Tale, The Jackson 5ive,The Polar Express, and Yellow Submarine were all on the original shortlist, but didn't make the cut. A pity in the case of Kremmen (which I'd voted for when the voting was open, IIRC), a resounding 'thank fuck' in the case of Monkey Dust, along with a prayer that this may lead to the end of 'dark' comedy.

Foghorn Leghorn, Monty Python, Mr Magoo, Pepe le Pew, Sylvester and Tweetie Pie, Thundercats and Transformers weren't on the shortlist, and still made the rundown.

Hey, working that out only took two minutes using Excel, stop staring at me like that.

It was nice to be reminded that though there was so much utter crap that I watched as a kid, there was also some quality stuff. And they at least kept the amount of air time their usual crap 'We have nothing interesting to say so we'll just say something sarcastic' pundits got down a bit.

And my own top 5. Only three of them made it in to their top 100 though.

1. Futurama

2. The Lion King

3. Batman

4. ReBoot

5. Samurai Jack

As much as the Simpsons is in the muchness of things probably the best TV show ever, and I certainly have no quarrel with it being at the top of this list, it annoys me considerably that it seems that absolutely no one in the media establishment will admit to it being shit now. No one. If you merely wave a yellow person at anyone they will begin falling over themselves to inform you about how incredibly funny it is.

Anyway, I'm not reading this bloated thread so someone answer me this:

Was Ulysses 31 in it? Or Dungeons and Dragons? Or The Mysterious Cities of Gold (my wife wants to know about that)?

Of those three, only Dungeons and Dragons.

What a rubbish list...

Looked forward to the program, lasted less than an hour watching it. Was going to be my first night not working this week and basically got more and more wound up with the presentation and basic lack of animation in it.

If I'd wanted to watch a show called 'The 100 top z list celebs and comedians you've never heard of spouting off about a cartoon they remember seeing as a child and "hey they can talk in a Charley says voice that'll be good for several clips" while showing probably less than 10% of animation in the entire show while Jimmy Carr gets paid too much to stand still and say something thats neither funny nor profound to usher in the adverts' I'd have known what to avoid.

Utter drivel. If I had more of a sense of burning injustice and three stopwatches I'd time the amount of prats speaking to animation to adverts and past it up on the controller of channel 4s face with a note that says must try harder on it.

I loved how the weird googley eyed Simpsons bloke was trying to say that the Simpsons was the greatest show ever or something:

"XX Called it the greatest show of the 20th century. Surely that makes it the greatest show ever (something like that)"

And then qualified his statement with something like "What shows were there in the 19th Century? Did Jesus have a show or something?"

Obviously, it was called Jesus: almost 2000 years too late.

Loon.

Also WHERE THE HELL WAS CITIES OF GOLD!? My missus was devastated.

And Mononoke and Spirited Away? Totoro pisses all over 'em. As does Fireflies no gravo. Although they never go bummed in this country. Mosy people getting in a hissy about this list seem to forget it was voted by the public.

But I really can't believe that Cities of Gold wasn't in it. I thought it was brilliant.

I was chuffed that they showed a clip from the Grune the Destroyer Thundercats. Best episode evar!

Pah. I'd have preferred a top 26 (only because the voting public and C4 are morons for ensuring Futurama is left out of the top ten when it's clearly fantastic), and then having some actual clips from the shows that show why they are good instead of just a random scene. Often repeated.

Take Samurai Jack. Now, I've never seen it but for it to be held in such high regard and win awards, I'm sure it's got to be more than just Jack fighting robot ants. Over, and over, and over, and over, and over. It looked shit.

Proper clips, and track down the folk that made them. Some of the Futurama commentaries are great, so why not get David X Cohen, Billy West (at least they had him and Groening) to tell us about making it, what they were doing and so forth? And not a single mention of how Futurama can tell a really good, moving story, or how South Park can be biting satire. Oh no - it's a drunk robot and a foul mouthed fat kid!

Bastards.

And Spiderman - I am convinced that everyone who voted for it was voting for the rather decent show that was on Live and Kicking back in the day. Not the 60s version which they showed (and rightly laughed at).

Take Samurai Jack. Now, I've never seen it but for it to be held in such high regard and win awards, I'm sure it's got to be more than just Jack fighting robot ants. Over, and over, and over, and over, and over. It looked shit.

Samurai Jack is an artistic masterpiece. It's beautiful in every way.

Luckily I'd seen probably all but 3 or 4 of the shows before, I guess if you hadn't then it didn't do many of them much justice.

Personally, I now have about 80 animations I want to track down on DVD.