So Did Anyone Else Get Banned From Live Tonight?

Miner Willy

A bit strange this one: turned on my Xbox tonight and tried to go on PES4, and immediately got banned for having modified hardware. My chip wasn't on, and I don't think it has been on for probably the best part of a year. Fuck knows how it happened.

So has anyone else had the same?

They must have a new way of determining whether you've got a chip or not, then.

Well that's why I posted it. There's not been an update or anything, has there? It just seems really bizarre to have suddenly happened like this.

I just remembered that I did have the chip on a couple of weeks ago while I was playing an imported KOTOR 2, but it's been off ever since then, and I've been on Live pretty much every night since then with no problems.

Was it was definitely for using a modded Xbox?

Or have you been a naughty boy on Halo 2?

Definitely a chip. The message was the one about being banned for having modified hardware. Nobody else uses my Xbox.

Anyway, I've been thinking about this. If it's only me that this has happened to then I guess I must have fucked up somehow. It's wierd because I'm usually very careful about turning the switch off etc, but I dunno, maybe I made a mistake back when I was playing KOTOR 2 and it's taken a couple of weeks to catch up with me. Seems unlikely, but moreso than MS having a new checking system and me being the only one on here who got done. Hmm.

Or maybe they detected a US save game from KOTOR 2 or something? I don't know much about this stuff.

but if you havent tuned on the chip for like a year, wouldent that mean you do need a new power cord ?

anyway they wont ban you for that, it will be that they can detect the chip!?!

I remembered I have used it a few weeks back, for KOTOR 2.

But yes, obviously it's for a chip. I think Soong was joking about the power cord.

if you have an old BIOS without the live protection i guess it only takes a tiny slip in concentration and you're banned.

MS did update the chip detection system in November '04, and whilst no-one knows 100% for sure how they now detect modded xboxs i can say for the most part that xbox's modded a long time ago aren't effected by this.

current theory is a cross-referencing of HD serial numbers and EEPROM values, hence if you ever change your HD you get banned. i think they started cross referencing in early 2004, but only started bannings in november

isnt it something to do with new games having checkers or installers on them. didnt the battlefront demo in the star wars dvd have a chip detector? it certainly installed something over a mates evo-x so he couldnt get past the normal ms front end.

I've been on Live regularly with my chip Xbox, I haven't been banned so it looks like you slipped up at some point. When thing I have switched off on my Xbox is the auto-connect. That's not to say it doesn't at least communicate with Xbox Live though, I don't know -- Gun Griffon likes to jump straight into a Live connection screen so if I am using the chip to play a game, I unplug the network cable.

There was a time I had the chipped Xbox in the router MAC address screen to disallow external activity but I got fed up with having to switch the PC on and turn it off when I wanted to play on Live :D

• 3 weeks later...
Holy fucking shit Ive been banned from live like a motherfucker. My entire F drive has been erased!

And I didnt fuck up once. Been playing with the chip off the whole time. Weirdio to the max!

I did wonder how you'd not been online for a while. Or is it a recent thing?