Is Halo Worth Giving Another Go?

kamrantaz

No, at least not single player. I gave it about three serious tries before giving up. It's an absolute snorefest; frustratingly slow movement speed, repetitive grey/blue environments, instant-kill enemies and groundhog save system, supposedly epic battles that are far too obviously triggered to really have any impact, and a plot which is admittedly more interesting than most computer games, but still fairly uninspiring.

I suppose the plasma grenades and melee attacks are fun, but other than that, no.

Multiplayer, it's a riot, especially with a few X-Boxes linked up.

Re-visit Halo... yes indeed.

I gave up on it first time round as it just pissed me off. Think i was in a general gaming lull though as nothing was giving me that itch.

Re-visited 3/4 months later and loved it, finished Normal, Heroic and am currently 3/4 the way through on Legendary but then got distracted by Halo 2 the wonder that it is on Live, Co-Op or home multi-player.

Cloney's being harsh on the singleplayer mode but opinions can't be right all the time :lol:

Blimey, aren't we all a bunch of misery gutses today.

Let me see, you're asking if you should have another crack at what is considered by many to be the finest FPS ever made, with some of the most finely tuned combat & weapon systems ever designed, whose single player campaign could occupy you for months on it's hardest setting, let alone it's split-screen/system link up multiplayer?

Well, durrr! :lol:

Let me see, you're asking if you should have another crack at what is considered by many to be the finest FPS ever made, with some of the most finely tuned combat & weapon systems ever designed, whose single player campaign could occupy you for months on it's hardest setting, let alone it's split-screen/system link up multiplayer?

Well, durrr! :lol:

Double o/\o

Halo has still got it. I was hoping that the sequel would mature and develop over time like the first one, but I'm still not feeling any major love for any of the levels. I went back through the original on Heroic over Christmas and got totally drawn in again, three years after launch and I was playing this over recent purchases. Still essential.

The controls certainly haven't been bettered on a console. I'm not sure why, but Halo 2's controls feel far twitchier by comparison. And the weapons sound better- apparently they went and used the LFE channel throughout, forgetting that it'd be done by bass management anyway (where the surround sound system itself shoves some of the bass onto the LFE), leading to a surplus of bass.

Yes, you should.

It's one of the most epic, astounding and playable games ever made and the best shooter avaliable on any format.

Absloutly wonderfull :unsure:

Although Halo 2's multiplayer is the finest around sadly the single player has nothing on Halo's tense and intelligent battles. Go with the first.

The controls certainly haven't been bettered on a console. I'm not sure why, but Halo 2's controls feel far twitchier by comparison. And the weapons sound better- apparently they went and used the LFE channel throughout, forgetting that it'd be done by bass management anyway (where the surround sound system itself shoves some of the bass onto the LFE), leading to a surplus of bass.

Thats what i hated the most about halo. The controls were shite with the large pad. The 1st level was ok, loved the pistol but the 2nd level just left me cold especially that odd vehicle you had to use.

Reminded me of a poor version of command and conquer: renegade which was great.

True. Like controlling a vehicle with a hot air balloon strapped to it.

Eh?

The Warthog control is fine. Takes about 2 minutes to get the hang of it, then it feels liks second nature. Even my girlfriend likes Halo, and playing it in multiplayer and can control the vehicles well. I don't understand this idea that there is a problem controlling the hog. Baffles me.

Oh, and if you can, get the NTSC version. It's quite a bit faster than the sluggish PAL version.