Fu***ng Flood

AlanT

Dear all,

I have played many games from an early age, from the lowly ZX81 (with the 16Kb RAM pack oh yes!) through to owning all the major consoles today.

BUT, for the life of me I cannot stand the FLOOD. I adore the AI of HALO 1 & 2, especially on legendary. But for the life of me I just cant stand the incessant onslaught.

Does anyone feel like this, or is it just me becoming more grumpy in my years?

N.B. My apologies if this is covering old ground, but it isnt often I can post, or have the time to stay on here for long.

When the Flood first appear I thought it was great - watching the marine's recorded helmet video (ooer), then being surrounded by those little creepy crawly critters instilled a sense of panic that was different to the rest of the game. And getting back outside and just hiding for a while, watching them knock seven bells out of the Covenant was extremely satisfying.

After a while though, I was gnashing my teeth, no mistake. Gruelling is a word I'd use. I found myself trying to edge forward inch by inch, praying I'd cross over a quicksave checkpoint.

There was a level like this in Halo 2 too - can't remember which one, where I was just getting killed and restarting every 60 seconds. Madness.

The Library level is much more fun in cooperative mode though - you and a mate back-to-back against all the baddies. Plus it's not an instant restart if you die.

they bored the piss out of me in the first game.

i sat down to play halo2 and we were on earth "great!" i thought. then we switched to the arbiter "eh?" i carried on anyway, slightly disappointed at this. back to MC "woo!" then more arbiter, by this time i was slightly less than excited about the game, i then heard somebody say 'library' and just turned the game off right away.

went back to it weeks later and trudged through yet more never ending corridors.

ugh, you've just reminded me of how much a truly hate the campaign mode.

The 4-way battles in Halo were an excellent touch I thought. Usually most games are just you vs. the enemy, Halo just did so much more than the rest of the genre, raised the bar so to speak.

And now the battle splits 5 ways with the addition of the Brutes ;)

BUT, for the life of me I cannot stand the FLOOD. I adore the AI of HALO 1 & 2, especially on legendary. But for the life of me I just cant stand the incessant onslaught.

Does anyone feel like this, or is it just me becoming more grumpy in my years?

I think making that particular enemy one of the central pillars of the storyline, thus ensuring their inclusion in all the Halo games, was a massive mistake. I've never replayed any of the hateful Flood levels.

The flood are what made me give up halo 2 really.

I'm at that bit where

Click For Spoiler
You're in a lift that takes you to some place - a race to get there before the marines do. And you are on one platform and it's just respawn after respawn after respawn.

If the flood weren't in halo/2 you'd have to pry me off that game.

The Flood are brilliant, I thought- The Library is basically Smash TV in 3D, which is obviously brilliant. I thought the Flood were fumbled a bit in Halo 2, though- they seemed to attack in much less overwhelming numbers, and were much less aggressive in the way they attacked you. Plus, the sword makes them a bit too easy to take on. They do look at hell of a lot more scary than in Halo, though, what with the blood all over them and the fragments of armour sticking out of their mutilated bodies.

The Library on Legendary is incredible. Its pure point and shoot stuff, yeah, but its one of the most intense gaming experiences ever.

And for people who say the campaign is shit in either Halo games, play Rogue Agent, please. Then you'll understand 'shit'.

Why do people hate them so much? I mean, do you not like shooting things into a million pieces?

This is me playing The Library:

BLAM! Gotcha! Shit, there's another one, BLAM! Aaargh, it's an exploding one, shiiiiit! POP! Aargh, get off me! (Switch to assault rifle) ACK-ACK-ACK-ACK! Ha! Little shits! Fuck, there's thousands of them, Fire in the hold! (lobs grenade) Heh! How do you like those apples! COME ON YOU BASTARDS!

This is you lot playing the Library:

I say, this is rather tiresome. This foe really does lack the sublime subtlety of the Covenant hoard. This is almost like one of those videogame thingies which I hate so. I do believe I'm going to turn this off in disgust.

Get a grip, you bunch of fun-hating turd munchers!

that is exactly the same place I gave up.

just couldn't be BARSED with it... having to watch a cutscene and so long between quick saves...

... in general, dissappointed with Halo 2... so obviously a "stop gap" game and they've kept the best till Halo 3. hey ho.

I never thought of it like that, but hey you're kind of right!

No, he's wrong.

It's to do with the perspective. The flood in Halo 2 especially seem to appear from nowhere and rush from all directions - but you can only look in one!