IGNORED

Fu***ng Flood

AlanT

I can see how The Library in 2-player could be a great SMASH TV experience, but when I played through it singularly, its pathetic level design made me cry.

This has nothing to do with Halo's combat or The Flood themselves, of course. Both are excellent.

I thought the library was average in Halo 1 but in Halo 2 the flood are much more interesting to fight and are placed in more atmospheric locales. The fact that in Halo 2 they can control vehicles, grab you from a vehicle, and little touches like they'll run away and hide, and the wee flood can resurrect dead bodies all make them more engaging than Halo 1.

Added to this you get the mighty sword to take them on which is pure satisfaction, and also you tend to fight them in big battles with allies rather than just you vs the flood. That all makes the return of the flood a much more enjoyable experience, but I agree at times they can be very tiresome - the main problem being that there aren't that much tactics to fighting them other than blast blast blast like any other FPS, and they do feel filler when it's just wave after wave of them (like when you're on the monorail thing). Still, when they are part of big battles they're ace.

You know, you could just run right past a lot of them if you liked. Especially in halo 2.

The Library was fun for a while, but did get very tired. It would have been great if it wasn't the same stuff over and over. But after a while it just became a routine of using the same hiding places over and over and same methods of disposal.

I like what they add to the original: a twist (no matter how obvious you think it is) and a change of pace, eventually turning into a huge three-way (four-way) battle and finally The Maw: the player having to battle off flood, covenant and sentinels in order to stop the threat of the flood, the threat of Halo being activated and not the least the threat of the covenant getting their hands on Earth's coordinates.

And the horse you rode in on for sure.

In Halo 2 they're more annoying, but only because the story is more confused and the levels worse.

The Flood are definitely more annoying in Halo 2. For one thing, the infection forms are about fifty times harder to shoot- they jiggle all over the place, making wiping them out very annoying, and more than a little reminiscent of trying to shoot the fucking head crabs in Half Life. This, combined with the reduced range of your melee attacks, makes the infection forms a bit irritating to fight. Their new resurrection ability doesn't really come into play either, because you almost always have an energy sword available when you fight the Flood, so dead warrior forms rarely get the Lazarus treatment.

And the less said about the rocket-launcher Flood on Quarantine Zone, the better.

I was loving Halo 2 on Legendary, because you can play the same battles with Elites over and over and over again and not get bored. Witness people spending weeks trying to get past Hangar 2.

However, fighting the Flood over and over again on the same checkpoint just isn't nearly so much fun. It's okay if you can get through without dying too much, but the lack of brainpower required to defeat the Flood makes them very boring to fight after a short while.

The Flood represented a nice change in pace. It felt like a relief to just blast something.

Then, the Flood Vs Covenant Vs Master Chief bits represent the best part of the game.

So I don't agree, I liked them.

Agreed.

I wouldn't mind if the shotgun wasn't so bloody useless in H2. I enjoyed using it against the flood in the first one, but now they've tuned the game for multiplayer.

It's also annoying because, in the hands of the Flood, the shotgun means instant death for yourself.

Guest henofdoom

One of the best bits in Halo is at the end of Two Betrayals (on legendary) when you have to fight the large group of covies who are fighting the flood...

They're worth it just for that.....

One of the best bits in Halo is at the end of Two Betrayals (on legendary) when you have to fight the large group of covies who are fighting the flood...

They're worth it just for that.....

The three way battles were aces, but The Library... The Library!

I too though that the Flood was rubbish. Most of the time I didn't even fight them if I could avoid it and just scarpered past the bastards.

In the first game the Flood combined with amazingly repetitive levels drove me to distraction. How pleased I was to see their return in Halo 2...

They'll be in Halo 3 too, no doubt. In droves. The only sanctuary from their inevitable onslaught will be 'the ark', which is on earth of course. I imagine there will be more Flood than ever in Halo 3.

Personally, I don't have a problem with The Flood and find their exploding puff ball bodies quite satisfying.