IGNORED

Brothers In Arms

Daanos

I've been playing an early version of Brothers in Arms lately, and I wanted to post some impressions here. Nothing big, just a small story. I'll add some more once I've played it a bit longer.

First thing I noticed is the beautiful atmosphere. The first chapter really makes a good impression, it shows every aspect of war (well, as far as I can judge that is ;)). Chaos, dying teammates, other teammates going crazy because of it, bombshells all over the place, wonderful. Although it's not on such a huge scale as the beach landing in MoH:AA, I think the atmosphere is better. The only thing that I found a bit strange was the fact that I couldn't find my crosshair. Ah well, no problem I thought.

I was wrong. There is NO crosshair. Not in the options menu, nowhere (not in this version that is, but I strongly doubt it'll be in the final since it'll change the whole concept). Because of the missing crosshair and the tactical gameplay, it reminds me more of Full Spectrum Warrior than, let's say, Call of Duty. In every fight you order your teammates to fire at the enemy targets (supressed fire), so you can flank them and attack them from the side or rear. It's a bit repetitive actually.

Don't get me wrong. This is NOT a bad game. NO fscking way. But if you're expecting a Call of Duty of MoH beater, you'll have to adjust your expectations.

So is it necessary to hold your weapons with the scope mode ( I.E. with the blurred effect on them due to taking aim) in order to fire exactly where you would like to? could be a great addiction towards realism in war games , you won't have again that crosshair that does not exist in real life.

I am waiting news very soon from you since BIA is one of the games I would really like to see how they managed to recreate that "war feeling", and if they succeeded at all. ;)

I'm very surprised you say it's no MoH beater. Having followed the game a bit it seemed they had put a whole helluva lot more thought into things than MoH showed. There's the whole accurate locations taken from actual WW2 reconnaisance photos, real soldier's names who fought there, easy cursor-based troop command facility and supposedly very advanced AI routines etc.

'Course I haven't played it, maybe I've just bought into the hype of all those superb looking vids and developer interviews.

I'm glad it doesn't have an on-screen crosshair mind, given that they're going for realism.

It's a completely different game to MoH and Call of Duty, so comparisions are fruitless, apart from the obvious "they're both set in WW2!".

I was getting sick of the OTT set pieces followed by bouts of so-so combat within those two series anyway, so if BiA can give me dynamic, intelligent, highly enjoyable squad combat, I'm sold.

I'm glad it doesn't have an on-screen crosshair mind, given that they're going for realism.

.::: Odd that people approve of it. When I read about the crosshair I thought that it would be skinned alive as with TimeSplitters.

.::: Odd that people approve of it. When I read about the crosshair I thought that it would be skinned alive as with TimeSplitters.

From watching the game videos it seemed clear that the lack of crosshair (and lack of zoom scope) adds to the tension felt by the player. No longer can you be certain that a shot from 100 yards away is going to result in an instant death headshot. Rather there was a palpable sense of dread that you might not even hit the enemy at all and, if they were running, that it would take a great deal of skill to bring them down which I think is far more representational of the real situation and pretty exciting.

Doesn't sound like anything a small blob of blu-tac or a felt tip pen can't solve :unsure:

I've resorted to those sort of tactics on games where the cursor is the same colour as the level (counterstrike used to suffer from it on desert levels until they added a choice of colours) but I think I'd feel guilty doing it when there's not mean to be a cursor

it's supposed to be like Full Spectrum Warrior.. which is A Good Thing

Nope, no it isn't. FSW was a very well implemented training simulator but as a game suffered from repetitive trial-and-error gameplay. Manouvering men into the correct position, laying down covering fire while another team flanks got tiresome very quickly. Realistic maybe but not much fun.

I've been looking forward Brothers In Arms for a while and it concerns me that the gaming mechanic may be similar to FSW, but as long as I can shoot a gun myself (unlike FSW) then I'll be happy.

Also, I don't care if the landscape has been recreated to look exactly like it did during the war, I'll be no the wiser if it wasn't. This is reminiscent of The Getaway which spent more time creating the exact streets of London but not enough on the game itself. Sure, it might be great for Londerners who know the area but for those that have hardly been there it might as well heve been Birmingham (apart from the famous landmarks).

I'm looking forward to getting this. The atmosphere won me over, especially as I've currently got enough shooting games to finish and wasn't really looking for more. I like the realistic approach to firing your gun - should add a lot of tension if the mission design is tight.

It seems that a crosshair will be in the final version after all, since I just unlocked it in the preview version :unsure:

Fat chance it'll be available from the start in the retail version. Though I doubt it'll be on by default.

Then again, this is not an arcade shooter with cheating AI, is it? :unsure:

Then again, this is not an arcade shooter with cheating AI, is it? :angry:

.::: Nah, but I'm rather concerned at how developers go and make things so realistic they forget it's a game and make a frustri-fest out of it.*

I didn't mind the lack of a crosshair in TimeSplitters myself, but hearing it in combo with the other remarks makes me back off.

*: That and I'm S.I.C.K. of war-shooters.

Looking at the various videos of this on Gamespot, I really fancy the look of this.

To be honest, i think I would prefer not to have the crosshair, as mentioned before, it can add to the authenticity.

Makes a change to see an easily controlled squad based tactical shooter. (I hope, as I have yet to play this)

What did the review give it?

Jouabilité (Gameplay) 17 /20

Le jeu est un FPS, mais vous passerez plus de temps à positionner vos unités et leur donner des ordres que d’essayer de tuer un allemand. Cela en réjouira certains, et en décevra d’autres. Les situations sont variées, le travail sur le terrain est intense, puisque vous devez toujours trouver un moyen de mettre hors d’état de nuire l’ennemi. Ceci dit, il y a quelques petites imperfections ; vous devez bien positionner vos soldats pour qu’ils tirent là où vous le souhaitez, ils ne se déplaceront pas d’un point A à un point B sans votre aide lorsque vous désirez qu’ils couvrent tel point. Il y a aussi les armes qui sont parfois un peu trop imprécises à mon goût. 17 /20

Scénario (Settings)

Je félicite les scénaristes qui ont fait tout un boulot pour bâtir une histoire solide basée d’un fait vécu. Ils ont dû passer des heures et des heures dans les archives nationales des États-Unis pour se cultiver sur cette guerre et s’informer sur l’histoire de la 502e RIP, tout en incorporant des missions dans le jeu dont l’influence provient de faits véridiques. 20 /20

Qualité graphique (Graphics)

Le jeu est très coloré et très fluide. On se croirait vraiment dans cette campagne maudite où tant de soldats ont laissé leur peau. Il y a par contre un travail plus minutieux qui aurait pu être fait sur les textures, qui manquent quelque peu de raffinement et de détails. 16 /20

Musique, sons et ambiance sonore (Music, sound and environment surrond sound)

Excellente ambiance sonore qui nous plonge facilement dans l’univers de la Seconde Guerre Mondiale. Les personnages sont attachants, ils ont de bonnes répliques, qui deviennent répétitives à la longue, mais on ne le remarque pas trop, tellement nous sommes concentrés sur notre tactique d’attaque. 19 /20

Durée de vie (Lastability/Replayability)

Au total, une vingtaine de missions en solo, dont certaines devront être recommencées quelques fois avant d’en arriver à être capable de remplir les objectifs. Le jeu se terminera une première fois en environ 15 heures, ce qui est pas mal pour le genre. Étant donné que ce "shooter" mélange également de la gestion, la rejouabilité est intéressante pour recommencer certains niveaux et s’y prendre différemment ou se donner encore plus de difficulté pour atteindre notre but. Mode multijoueurs qui risque d’intéresser les possesseurs de Xbox Live!, car pour une fois, on peut féliciter les développeurs pour avoir bâti des modes de jeu en ligne différents. 17 /20

TOTAL TECHNIQUE (moyenne des 5 éléments ci-haut) : 89 %

TOTAL INTÉRT (note d'intérêt attribuée par l'auteur) : 90 %

Apparently you can turn the crosshair on and off at will, no unlocking needed at all. You can also turn the cover indicating graphics on and off...

...oh yeah and to say its more like FSW than CoD is just plain baffling, Brothers in Arms is still an FPS game even if it does contain squad control, so its obviously more like CoD. From what ive seen (the gamplay footage from E3 last year) its a realistic FPS with the squad controls that FSW had.

It's really not like FSW, CoD or Timesplitters - it seems to bear far more resemblence to Opertation Flashpoint than anything else. Which gets me very excited.

It's not the first game to do the 'iron sight' thing either, Hidden and Dangerous did it years ago.

From what ive seen (the gamplay footage from E3 last year) its a realistic FPS with the squad controls that FSW had.

Having played it briefly last night I think that's a fair summary actually.

You play in first person mode with or without a choice of crosshairs when you're not in Iron Sight mode unless you're in a mounted gun when the camera goes third person.

You give your men orders by holding L which brings up a circle that you position on the battlefield and release L when you've got the place you want them to go to. They'll behave like the soldiers in FSW by firing at enemies and finding the best position to take cover in.

You can also make them lay suppression fire on the enemy by holding and releasing L over an enemy. Suppression fire will gradually turn the red (dangerous) indicator above the enemy grey (suppressed) which makes it safe for you to move and flank the enemy. While suppressed you can also order your men to flank the enemy.

If you press R while the cursor is over an enemy your men will charge in and assault them.

All the indicators above heads can be turned off like in FSW's harder modes for more of a challenge.

Another neat feature is the 'Situational awareness mode' where, by pressing BACK, the action freezes and the camera zooms out and above the battlefield giving you the opportunity to find the best course of action.

Cut scenes are in the game engine and handled very well; it doesn't take long to actually care about your squad.

Overall it's feels a lot like FSW but with you in control of one of the squad.