Brothers In Arms

Daanos

Jesus wept, this is fucking great, I didn't expect it to be like this. The atmosphere in that first section when you're behind the wall is incredible, it's so tense and panic stricken and the audio really helps with the sense of involvement. Haven't played much of it yet but first impressions are very strong, already it's a step ahead of anything similar that I've played. Can't wait to see more of it tonight.

I liked that speech at the start: "A soldier has two families - one that you raise, and one that you raise hell with" :o

I dunno. I bought this last night. It's fun and everything, but it seems there's some sort of inherent flaw in that the double squads work exactly like FSW, but with you being a soldier on the ground instead of a hovery being in the sky you can't always see (and therefor choose) the point you'd like to place your teams on the map.

You need direct line-of-sight to tell your men where to go. When you're only six feet off the ground in war torn villages, that can be a hinderance. I dearly wish they'd have let you issue troop commands from the Situational Awareness view, which hovers above the action.

That, and the iron sights take up so much of the screen I'm missing all the ragdoll!

It *is* fun though. The guns provide wonderful feedback and it all feels dangerous and raw when you're out fighting. If I can reconcile this line-of-sight thing I'll have no complaints.

They are pussies though, for putting that crosshair in at the last minute. I play with it off, but I hope on Live that the host can set them off across the whole server.

I dearly wish they'd have let you issue troop commands from the Situational Awareness view, which hovers above the action.

I've played a few more levels now and I can see what you mean, but I reckon you'd have too much of an advantage if you could issue orders in awareness view. I think the point is you're using tactics to the best of your ability under extreme pressure, and after a while you need to be able to give orders by reflex and not take too long to think. I like the way it zooms out in awareness mode, nice touch.

I've really enjoyed the few levels I've played just now. The controls for issuing commands are straightforward and easy to pick up, the AI seems solid and so far my team haven't made any tragic mistakes for me. They utilise cover even if you don't order them too, I've seen them laying down suppression fire and covering other team mates backs when they're moving into position. I was playing Republic Commando last night and I was thinking how much I hated squad based shooters, but this is a cut above, it works well and there's a strong sense of connection between you and your men. In Republic Commando I didn't care about my team, I just wanted them to get out of my way but here I'm enjoying their presence, they add a lot to the game.

Enemy AI seems good too. If you poke your head above cover when you're flanking they'll track you down if they spot you, I expected them to stay in position but they seem to employ the same tactics as you and hold you down with suppression fire and flank your team. I thought that was quite impressive, you can see them moving into new formations to counter the orders you've issued your men with. You could probably learn a bit about tactics by watching the enemy and the way they use cover.

If only you could get in the vehicles though, I saw a brilliant opportunity to drive through a roadblock but sadly the vehicles are only for cover and decoration.

I've played a few more levels now and I can see what you mean, but I reckon you'd have too much of an advantage if you could issue orders in awareness view. I think the point is you're using tactics to the best of your ability under extreme pressure, and after a while you need to be able to give orders by reflex and not take too long to think.

This is the sort of thing I need to accept so I can get on with les killing au la nazis. I mean, I suppose it makes sense. As a real captain bloke, you wouldn't be able to say, "Right men, move out to that little wall on the other side of the house that I spookily imagine might be there." You'd just be able to manually point at places you can actively see and go, "Get over there!" Perhaps I shall make my peace with it.

Aye, the squad AI does seem pretty good. I've not played Republic Commando, but I have played an assload of Ghost Recon 2. No matter how much I enjoy that game, those guys are idiots. And they cannot BEAR to be away from you! In GR2 you tell them flank left, or stay there, and in ten seconds they're back up in your face like they got scared on their own. It's impossible to set up a two-pronged attack because they long to be close to you. The Brothers in Arms boys are much better.

Enemy AI can be positively frightening. My squad got wiped out last night, except for me, with about four enemy positions up ahead. The enemy was totally wise to the fact that I was on my own and started coming out of their positions to gain ground, running from cover to cover, fence to fence, getting closer. It really felt horrible. Which is brilliant. I remember kill.switch had some AI like that, albeit in an eclosed arcadey way.

Usable vehicles would indeed be nice. No worries, only 62 years until Modern Combat doesn't come out again! I still even want Op Flashpoint, even though it's meant to be terrible.

If only you could get in the vehicles though, I saw a brilliant opportunity to drive through a roadblock but sadly the vehicles are only for cover and decoration.

some videos suggested that you might use a tank, a Sherman if I am not wrong, because I remember that at the E3 one of the developers told me that it would have been definitelty a possibility to drive a tank. Oh well, maybe they removed that feature!

I've played a few more levels now and I can see what you mean, but I reckon you'd have too much of an advantage if you could issue orders in awareness view. I think the point is you're using tactics to the best of your ability under extreme pressure, and after a while you need to be able to give orders by reflex and not take too long to think. I like the way it zooms out in awareness mode, nice touch.

I've really enjoyed the few levels I've played just now. The controls for issuing commands are straightforward and easy to pick up, the AI seems solid and so far my team haven't made any tragic mistakes for me. They utilise cover even if you don't order them too, I've seen them laying down suppression fire and covering other team mates backs when they're moving into position. I was playing Republic Commando last night and I was thinking how much I hated squad based shooters, but this is a cut above, it works well and there's a strong sense of connection between you and your men. In Republic Commando I didn't care about my team, I just wanted them to get out of my way but here I'm enjoying their presence, they add a lot to the game.

Enemy AI seems good too. If you poke your head above cover when you're flanking they'll track you down if they spot you, I expected them to stay in position but they seem to employ the same tactics as you and hold you down with suppression fire and flank your team. I thought that was quite impressive, you can see them moving into new formations to counter the orders you've issued your men with. You could probably learn a bit about tactics by watching the enemy and the way they use cover.

Where are you in the game at the moment? I need to capture a farmhouse filled with Germans now, but it's pretty damn hard if you ask me. D-Day plus two I think. Or plus three.

some videos suggested that you might use a tank, a Sherman if I am not wrong, because I remember that at the E3 one of the developers told me that it would have been definitelty a possibility to drive a tank. Oh well, maybe they removed that feature!

I read up on this, apparently you do get to give orders to a tank using the same method as issuing commands to your squad. That's good enough for me.

Daanos, I'm at the same section as you, the rest of my squad are dead and I'm inching closer and closer to the farmhouse using stealth and cover. It's tense and drawn out, but I reckon it's doable. I'm trying to get around the back of the building to sneak up on them but they're cunning opponents, you can see them getting into position to counter anything you do.

Some of the battles have been fantastic. There's one section near the beginning where your squad are laying down suppression fire on the enemy so you can make a clean break to get inside a small cottage. You can go up the stairs and shoot the enemies through the window whilst your team are distracting them, the tactics and AI worked together brilliantly for that section, such a sweet victory as you're almost on top of them when you kill them.

The sensation of gaining ground and and moving toward your goal is strong. It's not like a usual FPS, you see every bit of cover and hedgerow as a potential base which makes you think tactics all the time, the level design is excellent. Great stuff.

I still even want Op Flashpoint, even though it's meant to be terrible.

You're joking? Flashpoint is the best war game ever made - it's atompshere, freedom and realism are unmatched.

Unless you're on about the seemingly non-existant Xbox version, in which case...yeah, it probably is.

You're joking? Flashpoint is the best war game ever made - it's atompshere, freedom and realism are unmatched.

Unless you're on about the seemingly non-existant Xbox version, in which case...yeah, it probably is.

Yeah, sorry, I mean the never-coming-out Xbox version. I don't have a PC, but I've played Op Flashpoint on a friend's and, gameplay wise, it's everything I want from a war game.

Meerman: I'm playing the US version. Came out here Tuesday/Wednesday. However, I daren't go online with it until it's out in Britain. And then I want to go the Germans and kill all the American scrotes that bitch talked me in Halo 2.

Some people are definitely further on than me. How did you do those mortar bastards in the big field near the church? I don't see any useful cover in the field and keep getting blown to bits on approach to their little death nests. Two neat things about the mortar bit though:

1. After my team got wiped out, further mortars would continue to strike their corpses and blow them high in the air, all ragdolly. Especially if I hung around them to make the Jerries fire on that location before running clear at the last moment.

2. I got caught very close to a mortar blast but not enough to kill me. It sprayed mud across my screen, knocked me on my ass, replaced the sounds of the battlefield with high-pitched tinnitus, made my vision blurry, and took away all control. I thought I was dead until my bloke eventually got back on his feet.

Also, I successfully tested the de-limb-ing system by blowing the left leg and left arm off a German soldier with a grenade. And there was much rejoicing.

Enemy AI can be positively frightening. My squad got wiped out last night, except for me, with about four enemy positions up ahead. The enemy was totally wise to the fact that I was on my own and started coming out of their positions to gain ground, running from cover to cover, fence to fence, getting closer. It really felt horrible. Which is brilliant. I remember kill.switch had some AI like that, albeit in an eclosed arcadey way.

I've experienced these sickening panic stricken moments too, it's hard to describe the atmosphere but it somehow feels more real and threatening than anything I've played before. It's terrifying when you see them flanking you unexpectedly, it's like they're second guessing you and outwitting you at your own game. I've watched enemy soldiers circling the entire area and coming up behind me, sometimes they'll wait until they're right on top of you before they start firing, obviously by that point you'll be covered from all sides by suppression fire so it's pointless trying to run away. In that regard, the way you feel hunted down and at risk, I reckon it's the most impressive AI I've seen in a game like this. It just works so well with the level design and concept of the game, it all fits together beautifully.

I liked your descriptions of the mortar attacks and the rag doll effects, I must admit that I've been too fearful to play with any of the physics yet, I might go back and revisit some earlier levels later to have a mess around. I think I ordered my squad to charge the mortars whilst I was covering them.

Speaking of physics, in the new Splinter Cell demo there's a bit where a guy is using a computer inside a metal cage, try lobbing a frag grenade in there, it sticks him to the side of the cage in a crucifixion pose.

How are you getting on with it now, Ayton? Have you got any further? Welcome to the forum by the way. ;)

Could I ask that people start to use spoiler tags for specific gameplay/tactical discussions as I'd like to continue to read the thread. Please. Thanks.

Sounds better and better btw.

How are you getting on with it now, Ayton? Have you got any further? Welcome to the forum by the way. ;)

Well, thank you sir! I think I may have to change my approach though, as no one has offered me out for being a n00b yet.

I have gotten further on, yes. From the ground in that field it looked as if there were no tactically useful positions, but when I went into Situational Awareness there were very clearly two hedgerows that allowed a suppress-and-flank. That's not very nice, sending your men on a desperate suicide charge, Uncle. I had them do the suppressing from cover, ran to the side myself and gave the Germans a little pineapple to play with.

To let you know where I am, I just broke through the

Click For Spoiler
roadblock
with my
Click For Spoiler
tank.

Getting a little further has really neutralized those initial feelings of being slightly underwhelmed. In the beginning I was a bit concerned about the linearity of the stages. These restricted your tactical choices and dampened any real urgency because you could see exactly what the game wanted you to do to proceed. But the mission previous to the one I'm on now gave me a whole village to play in. A small village, yes, but an open one, with church walls, back streets, hay stacks etc, basically a number of choices for cover/flanking, which made it feel much more like it was up to me how to proceed, and also gave the enemy all those choices, making them unpredictable in the way you describe.

Jacopo: I just mentioned it before your question but I'll mention it again in case you mean me. I got the retail Xbox version on Wednesday. American NTSC. From a shop. ;)

Jacopo: I just mentioned it before your question but I'll mention it again in case you mean me. I got the retail Xbox version on Wednesday. American NTSC. From a shop. :unsure:

Ah, ok, thanks. Looks like I'll be waiting a couple of weeks until I get my hands on this then. I've just been watching the E3 gameplay video again, and from reading stuff on here, I'm rather excited about getting my mitts on this.