Brothers In Arms

Daanos

I'm glad it doesn't have an on-screen crosshair mind, given that they're going for realism.

Can you spin round really quickly, jump stupid heights/length, not climb over some walls you should be able to, never get tired, soak up bullets, run backwards very quickly, etc etc

There's realism and there's realism.

Brothers in Arms is the first game I've bought for my Xbox since Halo 2, it's the first Xbox game I've been interested in since then to be honest. I've been playing it for a bit now and it really is shaping up to be a fantastic little game. For anybody who didn't like Full Spectrum Warrior (myself included)- this really isn't anything like said game and is far more action oriented. It's more like PC Call of Duty but taken a big step further, and it absolutely shits over the awful console versions of COD.

I'll be taking it on Live tomorrow most probably, after I've played a bit more of the single player too. How many players can you have in one game- and how does it all work?

For the record, I've closed my original Xbox Live account and opened a new one with the Gamertag Paulando. I have absolutely no friends on the list yet, so if anybody who's interested in a few games tomorrow can post their Gamertags that would be very helpful <_<

Can you spin round really quickly, jump stupid heights/length, not climb over some walls you should be able to, never get tired, soak up bullets, run backwards very quickly, etc etc

There's realism and there's realism.

Takes a while to turn around, cant jump that high, they have the old barriers in place where you cannot go, you never get tired, cant run backwards quickly, and what i like most is there are no health kits anywhere in the game, but it takes a few shots to kill you but not a lot.

I must say that I am impressed with the AI of the enemy as they are always trying to out flank you unless you have them supressed. I am trying this on normal and would be interested to see how they react on higher difficulty levels. I wish the situational awareness view was a little more flexable, as on bigger maps it is sometimes hard to judge where the enemy is in relation to Baker or the rest of the squad.

Also I wish there was an option to climb over objects like fences or crates as on a certain map I had to walk around to find a gap in a fence (as I could not jump high enough) whereas my squad just climbed over the fence. Also the enemy is also able to clim over fences. The melee attack seems weak and produces unrealistc effects when you hit certain objects (I have perhaps been spoilt by Halos meaty melee attacks).

Giving this a good solid amount of play overnight, I came across a bit of dodgy AI where my own squad is concerned. Once, towards the end of "Operation XYZ" just as me and my fellow paratrooper wandered into a building, only to come across a room full of Germans. My team mate merely stood by, perfectly still, getting mercilessly cut down in the process as I frantically try to repel the Germans. It pretty much spoiled the moment for me there!

But still, it's a very impressive game indeed.

Way I got through it was to nab a quick firing German weapon, combined with a team mate who'd happily make a few shots meant it was quick work in the end. Wish I'd saved a grenade for that bit really!

I'm just about to take out a German mortar squad. I stayed still a little too long first time around,and managed to lose 2 of my squad :lol:

So this comes highly recommended then? I have to be careful about how much I buy now as I seem to have bugger all time to play :P

The music on the advert is really good, love that kind of stuff :lol:

It does from me! Considering yesterday I bought this, Oddworld, and Resident Evil 4, and Brothers In Arms has managed to take up the vast majority of my night..

Definitely recommended as a single player game. Finished the campaign on Normal on Friday, will certainly up the difficulty and play through again. Despite weird unresolved Halo 2-type ending.

Now that it's safe to play online though, as people in Britain have it, I really don't think that much of the Live play. Ubisoft QA has been on holiday again, so the voice is totally buggered, along with a few other nice bugs, and there's really not enough variation. You can't change any parameters to keep it fresh. Same objectives in the same conditions. I don't see much longevity here. <_<

Still not too convinced tbh. I've heard Live multiplayer is pretty bad but I wondered about co-op/split-screen play? How about system link?

Also, ALSO, do you think it'll stand up to repeated play? Something FSW lacks, it was just the same thing over again (even on hard, it was piss easy once you'd twigged what events were where, etc). Comments?

I love the multiplayer aspect, the maps and games themselves are incredibly fun and each player having their own squad really adds something to the game. The poblem with the Live part though is that it's a nightmare trying to get into a game, especially since it's a 40 second loading screen before you get into the game only to be told it's full, etc. But the few times I've had one, it's been fucking great. Even if you just had one or two people you knew with the game you could have fun, because you both have about 8 men each it adds a lot to the game and makes it feel populated.

And on that note, is anyone up for organising one?

I'm not overly impressed so far, seems decent enough but not the killer game some have made out. Maybe I just havent given it enough time or maybe its just not my cup of tea?

i've got 2 days off at the end of the week and I plan on putting in some hours then and see how it goes :)

I'm not overly impressed so far, seems decent enough but not the killer game some have made out. Maybe I just havent given it enough time or maybe its just not my cup of tea?

i've got 2 days off at the end of the week and I plan on putting in some hours then and see how it goes :)

I felt the same as you, I was having fun but not blown away - it didn't feel like it had that magic 'polish' for classic status. Then suddenly it all just clicked, I just got two squads - men and a tank, and this game has REALLY taken off. I fucking love it. Seems like the first day's missions are just a warm up to be honest, persevere with it.

I'll probably return it under GAME's 10-day return policy. It's good- but I can probably get through it in 10 days, the online features are reportedly shit and I'd rather rebuy it for the PC as the graphics on the Xbox are 'rather ropey'.

Can you get store at GAME? I want Splinter Cell 3 but it's out on the 1st April!