Illustration Club

stan

i also only use the mouse + pen tool in illustrator. it may be worth trying out some fancy paint programs like painter or art rage or whatever, but i have no clue how to use those ;x

also fargal ex and gunstar <3 both use photoshop for their painterly things, and they manage okay, the bastards.

I done this in illustrator

japanese-garden.jpg

when i try printing out though a lot of the darker colours come out really dark but the medium and light tones seem fine. Apart from altering manually any ideas?

also i totally forgot to mention that it look sgreat! i remember you starting this forever ago? lots of effort gone into it, good job!

also that inky sketch is wonderful too, makes me want a go.

christmas present horse portrait:

tia.jpg

For a tablet I would recommend Photoshop or Painter, if you're feeling fancy then it might be worth trying out Artrage, Sketchbook Pro and SAI~

Sometimes I find myself using a tablet pen in illustrator but it doesn't make any real difference to my workflow, guess it just feels more natural doing artwork with a pen than it does a mouse!

If you're Mac based I like Pixelmator a lot for tabletty painterly thangs. Artrage is also pretty sweet and pretty cheap. Also it comes bundled with most Wacom tablets.

Doodled this today while having a sick and snow day. As always in Brushes on the iPod touch which is still the art package love of my life. A few changes here and there to do but almost done and dusted.

test-imagine004-small.jpg

thanks minkee, lovely horsie , yeah that picture is adapted from one i did ages ago just made it wider and illustratored . I preffer to use the tablet for Illustrator stuff , often creating basic outlines for elements , then going back to them and neatening them up.

C-cat: You're getting better and better with that thing! Is that really all done on an iPod? That's pretty crazy. If you want any constructive critisism: the eyes stand out a lot. They should probably not be such a bright white if you want to give the impression that the brim of his hat sticks out so much. The skin colour goes darker around there so the eye whites would be too. But then he is a crazy wizard guy so who knows, really.

Orchid: I like the image you've done there, it illustrates the title really neatly. Not so keen on the text though, the main font is okay but it would have been nicer if it was all worked into the image a bit more, instead of just placed so rigidly ontop. Hope that makes some sense!

another thing i did for someone's christmas present - the guy loved it but i wish i'd had some more time to spend on it ;x

pan02.jpg

Orchid: I like the image you've done there, it illustrates the title really neatly. Not so keen on the text though, the main font is okay but it would have been nicer if it was all worked into the image a bit more, instead of just placed so rigidly ontop. Hope that makes some sense

Yeah totally makes sense :( Was in quite a rush to get it finished and everything on the page.

Loving your latest :(

Is that really all done on an iPod? That's pretty crazy. If you want any constructive critisism: the eyes stand out a lot. They should probably not be such a bright white if you want to give the impression that the brim of his hat sticks out so much. The skin colour goes darker around there so the eye whites would be too. But then he is a crazy wizard guy so who knows, really.

Yeah cheers Minkee :( That was intentional, to an extent, as I wanted the eyes to be the first thing you looked at in the image. In retrospect they could be softened a little bit... But I still want them to be the focal point. And similarly was pushed on the deadline (and working through a gentle case of swine flu) so the little details got pushed to one side.

Serious question for you lot.

My lass is at college doing an Art and Design course. She's wanting to go onto uni and do traditional illustration. Now I think she's quite good at it, but she is quite self depreciative. At the same time, I'm quite envious at her skill, as I can barely draw stick men.

An argument has become a bone of contention, and I want it sorting!

I'm of the opinion that being able to draw, and art in general is a skill. It's something you're born with, and through practice, can be honed. She's of the opinion that anyone can draw, it just takes hard work and practice. She keeps saying I should try drawing, instead of lamenting how I cant.

I have absolutely no artistry skill at all, shit with colours, and cant design websites etc for toffee. I'm OK at programming and stuff though (ish) So what do you think? Skill your born with, or lots of hard hard work and you can find the skills?

Personally: bit of both but possibly not in the way you're thinking. Some elements of art are down to a personally creative attitude and desire to see what happens when x shape meets y colour so that's, I guess, something you're born with/part of your psyche. Then again a lot of art creation (especially computer art creation) boils down to a series of rules that, once learned, make you more aware of what makes a good picture. Then practice hones the lot.

I wish I could remember which photographer said it but the quote 'the first 10,000 images are crap' sort of sums that up.

Actually that all sounds a little more cynical than I mean it... Personally I think anyone can draw but only some take it on to be great, as the master said.

I've always always drawn, so I can't say from personal experience. However I like to think that you can learn. There's all sorts of courses and books that say the same thing. The only thing you can do is try, and find out. The worst thing that could happen is that you'll make some rubbish drawings, and rubbish drawings are excellent.

I really mean that, too.

Kick ass work, minkee <3 the colours!

Cool piece and interesting concept, c-cat114!!

DjSatansfury> She's completely right, anyone can draw and hard work is definitely the key, art is a skill and like all skills it is definitely obtainable. As far as innate talent goes, it's only a head start and one which is nothing without practice. I think there's a misconception, with art, in people thinking that if you can't pick up a pencil/brush and create something equally as good as Da Vinci then it's down to your lack of talent rather than you lack of practice. I mean, if I picked up a guitar and couldn't get a sound out like Hendrix first time and then immediately gave up blaming my lack of talent you'd call me crazy, right?

Here's somebody with no 'talent'-

stupidselfportrait.jpg

drawing23quicksp.jpg

Working hard for around 5 to 6 years-

petalslarge.jpg

memorieswebsize.jpg

Jonathan Hardesty

Forget talent, it's tenacity you want.

Serious question for you lot.

My lass is at college doing an Art and Design course. She's wanting to go onto uni and do traditional illustration. Now I think she's quite good at it, but she is quite self depreciative. At the same time, I'm quite envious at her skill, as I can barely draw stick men.

An argument has become a bone of contention, and I want it sorting!

I'm of the opinion that being able to draw, and art in general is a skill. It's something you're born with, and through practice, can be honed. She's of the opinion that anyone can draw, it just takes hard work and practice. She keeps saying I should try drawing, instead of lamenting how I cant.

I have absolutely no artistry skill at all, shit with colours, and cant design websites etc for toffee. I'm OK at programming and stuff though (ish) So what do you think? Skill your born with, or lots of hard hard work and you can find the skills?

This is a pet grievance of mine and I've had the same argument with mates, members of my family, class mates when I was at art college...

I think there's a tiny handful of lucky bastards out there whose heads are just wired up for art and drawing but the vast majority of talented artists are just people who've worked and worked at honing their skills starting with nothing (and I mean worked from childhood and drawn/painted obsessively every day) - I've never heard an artist talk about their own skills being something innate to them probably because most artists can remember a time when they had no little or no artistic skill themselves.

I'm a big believer in the idea that anyone can learn to be a good artist if they're prepared to push themselves - I've got to be, or I'd have given up years ago. When I was 15 I used to draw like Napolean Dynamite! This isn't an exageration, I was terrible. I'm pushing 30 now and in the past year or so I've only just reached a point where what ends up on the page or on the screen is recognisable to me as the same thing that was in my head - which is kind of frustrating and amazing to me at the same time.

I mean, if I picked up a guitar and couldn't get a sound out like Hendrix first time and then immediately gave up blaming my lack of talent you'd call me crazy, right?

I dont think any amount of guitar practice is going to make you play like Hendrix tho, remember he was making that shit up noone had done it before so theres def a little bit of god given talent in there.

Maybe it comes down to desire, I have always drawn since I was a kid, I enjoy it, compelled to do it even, spent my summers making comics with my mates. Perhaps thats the god given part, the drive to learn and create something.

I dont think any amount of guitar practice is going to make you play like Hendrix tho, remember he was making that shit up noone had done it before so theres def a little bit of god given talent in there.

Apologise, my point/example wasn't clear, I meant that picking up a guitar for the first time and expecting to be able to get out a sound as well as a 'master' guitarist (Hendrix was inserted as a qualified example) first time is very unlikely, and then blaming the performance on a lack of talent was (IMO) crazy, I didn't mean his exact play style, which would be a unique trait to himself, but his level of skill etc.

WELCOME TO HENDRIX CLUB. :)