Illustration Club

stan

It's a bit open to interpretation I guess, but personally I interpret 'painterly' as meaning there being a quite distinct variation in texture and colour to make it look more brush-strokey. I dont know if that's the kind of thing you're on about?

I wouldnt mind being better at the same thing tbh, but that comes as part of wanting to be looser in general. I find the thing with digital is that you can get a bit too stiff and clinical if you arent careful, hence my trouble with manmade environments. Although I'd prefer more stylised skintones too tbh.

I do find that building stuff up gradually in many layers helps a little though.....I get to start loose (theoretically), tighten stuff up incrementally as far as I choose to take it, and all the while you're introducing subtle hue or value variations all over the place.

Then again I've seen some people go in totally the opposite direction and just directly bung on very hard, contrasting colour with a hard edge brush, single layer, and not bother blending anything, resulting in a very graphic-novel kinda look. I'd love to do that. Sinix did a youtube series of faces a couple of years ago like that might be worth a look. No directly relevant commentary from him unfortunately (and it was in corel paint, not PS) but maybe some technique could be gleaned just by watching?

As far as inking goes, I'd gathered that was just a ballache of a job that no-one ever particularly enjoys doing?

Not logged on to post here for aaages...

Pic I did last weekend for a bit of fun. Had a message from El-p asking for a copy not long after I uploaded, which was pretty cool. First thing I've done in a while too. Time to get back on the ol' horse.

15255782289_cbe2f1155c_z.jpg

EL-P

Godlike.

No idea about pencils! But commissions we were tought to always retain all rights to the image. That's the big one. It is even starting to become a practice with fine art sales. Including adding resale rights percentages.

Remember if you set a basic amount for an image up front and it becomes more complicated or the brief changes you wont be getting paid for that unless you're being paid by the hour instead. If only it was illegal to charge below minimum wage for someone's time. I honestly dont know why art seems to be the exception, but obviously dont get ripped off! Although, maybe someone else can explain advantages of working for free. (there must be some, but I generally dont think its a great idea for all the reasons.)

disclaimer: I am no expert (mainly opinion and one excellent illustration module) and I wish I studied business!

@Vulgar Monkey:

Yup Fresh Paint is very art material orientated - and good fun it is too, although not a patch on ArtRage obviously.

The feature is coming into some apps. Autodesk have just released Sketchbook with some textured brushes although, as far as I can se, of the five of them 4 are rubbish and the update isn't worth the press release they've written up about the new apps. Shame.

Looking forward to trying the new Adobe apps though. Just been manically busy.

Yeah, I've drawn so much more this year then the previous 4 combined, and my techniques got better, but colouring and inking are a fucking nightmare. I tried looking up tutorials as just a starting point but nothing is going to help, I just have to get on with it, like you say. It's not like I want a magic advancement in my talent, but I could do with a proper "how to" on how some of the pros work, usually it's just "I do this, then this, then I'm done." there's nothing on how they choose a pallete, how they have their shortcuts set up, what opacity they use, are they custom brushes, etc etc.

To persist with the musical instrument analogy, you might just need to find the right how-to. I spent ages getting frustrated trying to follow various ukulele lessons online until I found a video a guy had made that in one simple moment unlocked absolutely loads of it for me - suddenly I was able to access all kinds of things I hadn't understood at all. Obviously I was and am still very much a novice but it at least became fun to learn and practice.

my latest show opened in London last week entitled Albion it explores uk wildlife and in particular endangered wildlife.

I customised an E-type series 1 for the show. heres the flyer and a few pics of the car. Its at Iris studios adrian Mews Ifield road London SW10 9AB

post-3501-0-78417300-1413291310_thumb.pn

post-3501-0-86494700-1413291433_thumb.jp

post-3501-0-24580600-1413291447_thumb.jp

post-3501-0-46524500-1413291456_thumb.jp

• 4 weeks later...

I like the way the cloth drapes over her. Did you use any photo ref for that?

Yeah wherever possible! But mainly I knew the material is thick on the kimono bit so I guess the folds should be quite wide, apart from on the joins or seams or whatever. It would be handy if I had a robot wife /life model on call. Maybe I should join the Danny Choo gang alrighty. Actually, when looking at kimonos it was hard to find much reference for folds in the material due to all the patterns making it hard to see.

Just had a quick query if that's ok.

I'd actually meant to ask this a bunch of times but always forget since I dont do that many reference studies.

So yeah - slaving flipping/zooming across multiple open images so that they're always syncronised. Is that something they added in later versions of PS? I'm still on CS2. Tbh it's very rare I find it lacking on features compared to newer ones (and they're almost always just little convenience things) but it's more the not knowing that bothers me. :lol:

I dunno as I've used those things but photoshop CS is dangerously accessible. only about a tenner a month for each program. I just have photoshop. If you have a decent graphics card it certainly takes advantage of that a little more now. That much I do know. Especially for things like liquify.

Cant you pick up an older Intuos for the price of a pint these days, pretty much?

Edit:

Also, found myself out down some rock/metal club for a mates birthday the other day....a rare occasion these days, I dont get out much. As is often the case, I find myself spending the early part of the night being a barfly, content to talk bollocks while people-watching, and I find myself realising how interesting it is to watch people rock out in terms of dynamic movements and wishing I had a pad and pen for a spot of gesture drawing. Ignoring the fact that it'd a) look weird and b) be too fucking dark to see what I was doing, anyway.

I normally find gymnastics, martial arts, things like that for gestures, but after a bit of fucking around on google I'm actually finding it quite hard to get decent references for metallers. Not having much luck plumbing the depths of my memory either, unfortunately.

Kind of wish I went around with a gopro glued to my head just for my own reference. :hmm:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I been busting my ass trying to actually draw and paint, its my last hurrah in trying to "make" it. Its not completed by any means, but I'm sick of it at the moment and wanted to post something here since its been too long.

post-1659-0-43221500-1420212062_thumb.pn

To be honest I;m

Amazing work on this page!

I've not done anything recently since working on the comic and subsequently game artwork, which is a slow process, but I'm really wanting to develop and get in on this professionally. Has anyone in this thread studied using any online / long-distance tuition? I can't afford a full degree, but London Art College do diplomas for £300ish but not sure how much use it would be. Any recommednations or advice from professional peeps?

Anyway here is one illustration I did last year which I don't think I posted at the time. It was for a Sheffield Gamezine... with hindsight I think curving the hills was a mistake - needed to be blocks, really.

SteelcraftSM.jpg

Nice:)

At the moment I'm just studying from books and just putting in the hours. I too would love to go to Uni to study, I don't have any art qualifications except for a GCSE in art. I feel it be great to get inspired by other like minded people, however, I know that's dream with my current situation. Maybe its the wrong way to go, but I wouldn't pay for an online degree, there's plenty of tutorials available online if needed. It all depends on what you want to do, the only field I say you would have to study at Uni is animation.