IGNORED

Illustration Club

stan

face_study_by_i_am_not_a_user_name-d8oe8

Been trying out the painting on Corel Painter. Took a bit of getting used to the different brush behaviour - iirc I ended up just sticking with a basic oil brush as it was somewhat predictable. I wouldnt mind getting to grips with the rest fully but I suspect you could sink weeks into it before you can really get your workspace together just how you like it.

Quick initial doodle for a new figure I'm working on. I then send it through to my concept artist who actually can draw properly and flesh the thing out a bit more...

Anyway, this is my idea for a Cyclops

cyclops2_zps9tmervko.jpg

Anyone have tips on getting Photoshop CC to work as smoothly as CS5.5 (which ... expired) . Alternatively where to buy 5.5 for cheap.

Trying to open fairly large ,5000x7000 ish many layer, files is laggy as hell as well as taking up to 5 minutes to load!!Which before took a fraction of that, barely even hanging on the progress bar. I feel like I've tried everything but upgrading to windows 8.1 from win 7. I hate you Adobe.

I use PS CC (coming from CS6) and it grinds like a dog on my works iMac 27". The files aren't even that big, just lots of layers. This is for web design rather than illustration. Anyway since Christmas my main tool is Sketch App and PS is strictly for bitmap editing.

Just another quick WIP.

Lovely. :wub:

Yeah I even downgraded it to cs6 (you can do that with the monthly payment if you want). that one is marginally quicker on some things and slower on others(than CC, but miles slower than cs5). I guess its all the bloated video and 3d stuff that was bunged in around that time. Though I dont see why that should be detrimental to everything else if its not being used.

@MrPranny, there has to be something else in the preference file which maybe causing it. I have a lower spec laptop than yours and it can manage OK. It buckles under pressure when I use large brushes however, that has always been the case in my experience.

I did do the very enjoyable scouring of the internet for info and changed everything about in prefs. To be fair it runs a little better on the laptop than on my desktop. I can only assume its to do with photoshop using only one core perhaps? My desktop has 6, though I doubt each one is that fast. Anyway, maybe I should post an image and stop whining :)

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone have any advice re stylus'. (Styli? Whatever. :P )

I've spent half an hour mucking about on a Hudl2 with sketchbook express, but the stylus was one with a big thick rubber end on it and got possibly worse response than my finger. I wouldnt be able to write my own name with it, put it that way.

I'm considering using something like this for sketching to speed up my initial workflow a bit. Also because I sometimes find myself reluctant to do anything when I know I'm gonna have to be sat awkwardly in a corner with a laptop and wacom, between the joint/posture issues it causes me and the heat issues it causes the computer.

Are they easy enough to find/try out instore somewhere? Like shoes, I'm reluctant to buy anything online that relies a lot on tactile feedback.

Hate to say it but the Hudl 2 is one that utilises a (Sanyo?) Screen that works poorly with the majority of styli.

I'll fire mine up when I get home bit for the most part styli just dint get enough traction against the screen to give you a solid draw.

That said the most bullet proof and brilliant of all styli - the Dagi - does work well. I've a vague recollection that the Stylus Sock (small bit large), New Trent (Limir not Arcadia) and Wacom Fineline all worked well. I'll check later.

It's a crying shame though. The Hudl 1 worked fab with nearly all styli and remains one of my favourite tablets of all time. The Hudl 2 - for connectIon alone - was a huge dissapointment (although the rest of it is ok).

Hate to say it but the Hudl 2 is one that utilises a (Sanyo?) Screen that works poorly with the majority of styli.

I'll fire mine up when I get home bit for the most part styli just dint get enough traction against the screen to give you a solid draw.

That said the most bullet proof and brilliant of all styli - the Dagi - does work well. I've a vague recollection that the Stylus Sock (small bit large), New Trent (Limir not Arcadia) and Wacom Fineline all worked well. I'll check later.

It's a crying shame though. The Hudl 1 worked fab with nearly all styli and remains one of my favourite tablets of all time. The Hudl 2 - for connectIon alone - was a huge dissapointment (although the rest of it is ok).

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know how good stores tend to be about testing out tablets/stylii instore for art stuff?

Seems to me it'd be a bit like trying on shoes at a shoe shop - all the specifications in the world are no good if you cant get a feel for the tactile feedback etc.

edit:

Also, couple of bits and bobs from the last few weeks. Not recent, but I dont like asking questions without posting a picture. Bit like how they do stuff in the female form thread I guess. :P

last_flight_of_the_kestrel_by_i_am_not_a

keeping_the_peace_by_i_am_not_a_user_nam

Hmm, just realised I never remembered to do a quick levels/colour pass on this one at the end. Bleh.

edit:

Right, fucksake, I just realised I asked the same thing a month ago! I'm forgetting myself, literally.

Bah, nevermind then, you've still got pix from me at any rate. :doh:

• 3 weeks later...

So, I've been doing more reading around potential upgrades, and may be erring towards a Surface. In any case I'm less than totally confident in the lifespan of my current laptop, so it could double up as a replacement for that too.

Anyway, it all sounds very good, except I hear the pen nibs are not terribly durable and arent readily sourced, unless you can get MS to send out spares.

Anyone have any experience/thoughts on this?

If it were a wacom pen, I'd at least know I could fall back on a couple of cheap DIY bodge fixes, but I'm not sure if these work the same way. Are they literally just a nib or do they have some kind of conductive property / connect to internal pressure sensitive components? If not, couldnt you just bung something in there like with the old wacom spaghetti trick?

No art to post atm that I can think of - just been doing sketches and fabric studies. Very unremarkable, soz.

• 4 weeks later...

Some top drawer work in here, as always. <3

I've started dabbling in screen printing. Have built a nice little printing room in my house. It's pretty cool, but smells a bit like a meth lab. These were the first things I made there. Solvent ink on high-quality vinyl. T-shirts are next!

19729269755_b1ff421eca_z.jpg

19733886331_3d503a11c3_z.jpg

19542643239_98dc8fbe22_z.jpg

19106658904_9f94c3c281_z.jpg

19106652884_bdd6d44949_z.jpg

This is a bit of a team up effort really. I employ the services of a concept artists in my figure making stuff, and I usually tend to ask him to make up quick pose sketches to see which ones could work well in full on 3d form. What's great about his stuff is that it's remarkably easy to chop up and manipulate to create montages and stuff like that. So, the poses are his, but the cut-n-pasting is mine :P

11223773_10153219583944219_3339429655036