IGNORED

Illustration Club

stan

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Not done any drawing for a while due to downsizing from a three bedroom house to a one bedroom flat. I massively underestimated how much stuff I had and how little space there would be so slowly been taking trips to the local charity shops and buying new small furniture which still takes an age to build as the place fills up with packaging…why am I telling you this? We’ll I guess I’m trying to justify buying a Wacom tablet for something that is a past time hobby at best. I’ve never used photoshop or anything like that before, bought Clip Studio Paint and, after the initial feeling of looking at the controls of a jumbo jet, have started to get me head around it. Decided to buy a pack of brushes from True Grit which allow you to create an old school style comic effect, which was limiting enough from a colour palette perspective to not be too overwhelming for me as a beginner. However, having to mix CMYK layers to create the colour pallet ended up being a fun challenge in of itself. So yeah, jumping in at the deep end with digital art. So much to learn, but feel like I’m enjoying it enough to fold it into my free hobby time now the flat is starting to feel like home.

48FC788C-B7A2-485D-951D-08F443856849.thumb.png.a83b3df72ed0823595d95926ad096df8.png

As you can see from the phone grab pic I’ve yet to suss out the export in a file size that the forum will accept, baby steps…

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Trying to push myself out of doing line art drawings and get my head around digital painting. Doing an Aloy piece mainly to have a go at skin tones and it's proper hard! Feel like I'm making some progress with it - although it took me longer than it should to realise I have a colour picker shortcut on the pen...

FP_6vFkX0AYIMer.thumb.jpg.a18171144de37c1fb95caeec6745abe6.jpg

Pretty happy with the eyes and nose, but really want to nail the lip bite - at the moment she looks like snaggle tooth though. More work needed on the chin (its wandering off to the left) and cheeks (feel too flat). If anybody has any pointers I'm all ears (thankfully didn't have to paint her ears)!

A9A9A9EF-6ADA-46A6-A8E9-2D86DDDF1018.thumb.jpeg.7ac4e0aeb132a386ee775c0793cf4136.jpeg

The problem I have with digital and real, is that a digital brush never runs out of paint. its always there and whilst the applied pressure sort of compensates. It's just not the same.  I have to use either digital or real in chunks, I can't swap back and forth because they do require different mindsets.  Colour choice is the biggest issue, digital gives you an almost infinite selection and its overwhelming trying to find just the right colour.

The best thing I found for flesh tones it to use a Zorn limited palette.  - Vermilion, Ivory Black, Flake White and Yellow Ochre

It looks like you're using Clip stupid paint the same as me, and you can download a Zorn palette from the assets thing.

Because you only have 4 colors the tones all line up and if you use an oil paint brush, you can mix and blend quite nicely.  But it's a tricky thing to get the hang of and needs a lot of practice to get right. 

On 11/04/2022 at 14:12, SpagMasterSwift said:

Trying to push myself out of doing line art drawings and get my head around digital painting. Doing an Aloy piece mainly to have a go at skin tones and it's proper hard! Feel like I'm making some progress with it - although it took me longer than it should to realise I have a colour picker shortcut on the pen...

FP_6vFkX0AYIMer.thumb.jpg.a18171144de37c1fb95caeec6745abe6.jpg

Pretty happy with the eyes and nose, but really want to nail the lip bite - at the moment she looks like snaggle tooth though. More work needed on the chin (its wandering off to the left) and cheeks (feel too flat). If anybody has any pointers I'm all ears (thankfully didn't have to paint her ears)!

A9A9A9EF-6ADA-46A6-A8E9-2D86DDDF1018.thumb.jpeg.7ac4e0aeb132a386ee775c0793cf4136.jpeg

Looks freaking great.

On 19/04/2022 at 11:25, Sidewaysbob said:

I've just done this, so I've not wasted my easter holiday extra days off. Now I'm going for a pub lunch and then open a bottle of wine and play assassin's creed valhalla all afternoon. 😎

PXL_20220419_100535798.jpg

This is fantastic. Perfect arrangement of colour and patches of black that makes the scene instantly readable and loads of loose texture work that sells the reality of it.

Long crappy day, topped off with a garden that stinks of rat piss. Time to head off to the art class and work on my muse project. 

This time with pastels and charcoal. I think I'm getting the composition fixed in my head now 

PXL_20220518_195156497.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I've been really enjoying using these Kuretake watercolour brush pens. They have a brush on the end rather than a nib, and you can get a lovely strong line with a brushstroke from them & then get a paintbrush out and add water to soften things up and get some quite nice effects (excuse the wonky proportions, still re-learning how to draw!):

20220528_162541.thumb.jpg.4f04df98083bfefed98724883f6f678a.jpg20220528_162625.thumb.jpg.83d95d54b9e5f6076bd20b1c238315da.jpg

I've been hovering over Buy It Now on the (£175!) 90-Pack for a while now 😬