Illustration Club

stan

That stuff sounds perfect - I might have to give it a go! ..so long as it's not too expensive.

Also, that does kinda makes sense.. I think! If you use the tool from the pen tools pallete that looks like a < (kinda!) then clicking on the anchor point will reset the points. If you deselect the whole shape, then use the white pointer tool to select the anchor point, then the curve handles will be on show for you to manipulate. The < tool will change the handles independantly to each other, or the white pointer tool will affect both. Sorry if this is all stuff you know already and I've missed the point!!

It took me forever to find out how the white pointer tool worked, I must have spent months trying to move points by altering the shape, adding extra points, getting rid of old points, adjusting the curves again, instead of just clicking the anchor point and moving it ;D

Ah right. I only ever used the white pointer to move individual anchor points, and then not at all when I found you could do that with the < and the space bar. I'll give that a wizz.

ps Flow Enhancer is pretty cheap, about £4 for a bottle that'll last ages.

What's your guys opinions of Wacom Tablets (or just tablets in general)?

I've recently upgraded from crappy second-rate software to Photoshop CS3 ext, and am just starting to get the hang of things. It's perfectly fine, but I was curious as to how much of a difference tablets can make....are they intuitive? Cost-effective? Reliable? Things like that, y'know.....

From what I've seen idly browsing around here, I'd bet you guys have more experience of the tools of the trade than I. Good stuff, I'll have to look around here more often.

I find tablets to be good for what theyre meant for, i.e. to create freehand looking lines. I can't stand using them for anything else though. Whatever you do, make sure its a Wacom mind. My A6 one was £40. Does the job fine.

Good to know. Think I may have to grab one when I have a job. They actually seem pretty well priced for what you're getting.

Oh, and btw.....Farg, and maybe Orchid.......they're vector-art yeah?

That impresses me even moreso, since it seems bloody unwieldy. When I first got PS-CS3, I made a point of sitting down, reading through the help files and playing around with the tools for an afternoon. Just to get a feel for it, like.

And well.....the pencil tool (for vector stuff) seems utterly incomprehensible.

Why is it that they work the way they do (ie: to do a curve you have to draw two lines in seemingly unrelated directions)? It hardly seems the most logical way to do it, but I'm sure there's a good reason.

It's not that I'll ever likely do much vector stuff, I'm just curious.

I found you could do that with the < and the space bar.

I didn't know you could do this ;D

and re: tablets - I've been using an a6 wacom also, it must be over 6 years old by now and still going strong. I have a larger a5 one with added buttons and better sensitivity, but I don't really find it any better, especially as I prefer to work with it on my lap. I only use it for colouring, though, I can't stand doing line work with it, and definately not vector work.

-

Ever since I came across Charley Harper's work (I love love love it) i've been going nuts for drawing wildlife. A trip to the zoo is imminent.

egret01-763900.gif

orangutan-717641.jpg

Good to know. Think I may have to grab one when I have a job. They actually seem pretty well priced for what you're getting.

Oh, and btw.....Farg, and maybe Orchid.......they're vector-art yeah?

That impresses me even moreso, since it seems bloody unwieldy. When I first got PS-CS3, I made a point of sitting down, reading through the help files and playing around with the tools for an afternoon. Just to get a feel for it, like.

And well.....the pencil tool (for vector stuff) seems utterly incomprehensible.

Why is it that they work the way they do (ie: to do a curve you have to draw two lines in seemingly unrelated directions)? It hardly seems the most logical way to do it, but I'm sure there's a good reason.

It's not that I'll ever likely do much vector stuff, I'm just curious.

I never use Photoshop for vector art, that's what Illustrator's for. I just scan in sketches and use the mouse/pen tool to draw curvy shapes and such. Getting the hang of the pen tool takes a little while, but once you've nailed it you can do pretty much anything with the program.

Wallpaper you say? WALLPAPERRRR?

Regarding a University interview, what sort of course are you thinking of applying for?

I'll have to do a foundation art course first but then hopefully graphic design or illustration although illustration scares me. I've also considered animation but it's scary too :)

I never use Photoshop for vector art, that's what Illustrator's for. I just scan in sketches and use the mouse/pen tool to draw curvy shapes and such. Getting the hang of the pen tool takes a little while, but once you've nailed it you can do pretty much anything with the program.

Truthtruth, I love you curved line tool, I really do.

Very nice.

Did that start out as a photo, a sketch, or did you paint it straight to digital?

It's from a photo.

Another one. I got bored on the actual bra, so didn't do a detailed job of it. I'm trying to do them in an evening (although not every evening) rather than spend 10 or so hours on each one.

pnkgrlcw7.png

I like that drawing, Fargal, and the vibe it has.

Broken Klassic, that is immense. How did you not get half way up that head and think, "This'll do."?!

I started at the top and worked down... 8)

I wanted it long enough so people would have to scroll down a few times and then go 'oh...it's a monster'. Was meant to count the number of heads/faces/things at the time as well, but forgot. There's 185 in there. Had I'd known that, I probably would have gone to 200. Tried three times to do another picture like it, to no avail.

ttpngqm2.png

TT

from 12 characters............

http://a-r-v.deviantart.com/art/12-characters-62323823

It's from a photo.

Another one. I got bored on the actual bra, so didn't do a detailed job of it. I'm trying to do them in an evening (although not every evening) rather than spend 10 or so hours on each one.

pnkgrlcw7.png

My comment on that would be that compared to the relatively simple shading and form (which look good by the way), the hair is too complex. Not necessarily in the shading, just in how detailed the outline is. But that's just personal taste I guess.

That stuff sounds perfect - I might have to give it a go! ..so long as it's not too expensive.

Also, that does kinda makes sense.. I think! If you use the tool from the pen tools pallete that looks like a < (kinda!) then clicking on the anchor point will reset the points. If you deselect the whole shape, then use the white pointer tool to select the anchor point, then the curve handles will be on show for you to manipulate. The < tool will change the handles independantly to each other, or the white pointer tool will affect both. Sorry if this is all stuff you know already and I've missed the point!!

It took me forever to find out how the white pointer tool worked, I must have spent months trying to move points by altering the shape, adding extra points, getting rid of old points, adjusting the curves again, instead of just clicking the anchor point and moving it ;D

Doing something in Illustrator now. Priceless information that, thank you 8)

My comment on that would be that compared to the relatively simple shading and form (which look good by the way), the hair is too complex. Not necessarily in the shading, just in how detailed the outline is. But that's just personal taste I guess.

Exactly what I was thinking. The hair on the side of her face looks hairy (for want of a better word).

Right, my pc died a month or so ago, and I was bored shitless. So I did a few quick 10-minute doodles with the simple intention of passing time and nothing beyond that. However, when I got my hands on Photoshop I needed something to learn the ropes on, so I used them.

Got some powered-armour from a certain old dos classic.

http://img527.imageshack.us/img527/933/armourwiphiresvh5.jpg

I'm leaving this be, unless I get a brainfart.

http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/9974/snap007jp4.jpg

This is my current WIP.

Still a lot of stuff to do yet (colour adjustment, detailing, lighting etc), and I've still got to add a couple more layers for things like combat webbing and decals etc. The shadow/hightlights are just placeholders to remind me where I want them, gotta clean them up later. Still gotta do that for the faces, too *sigh*.

Anyway, the point of me putting this up.......I figure before I put the polish on I may as well get opinions. Mainly in regards to postures and such. The standing guy in particular looks a little off. Also lighting. I'm thinking bright the light levels way down dark, then add some red internal lighting (like they do in the films when a helicopters going in quiet) with hightlights from whatever light is coming in from the bay doors at the end. 'Course, this depends on time of day/surrounds, which I haven't decided on yet.

Anyway, the point of me putting this up.......I figure before I put the polish on I may as well get opinions. Mainly in regards to postures and such. The standing guy in particular looks a little off. Also lighting. I'm thinking bright the light levels way down dark, then add some red internal lighting (like they do in the films when a helicopters going in quiet) with hightlights from whatever light is coming in from the bay doors at the end. 'Course, this depends on time of day/surrounds, which I haven't decided on yet.

First things that spring to mind are the guy on the left, sat down, apears to have the dainty hands of a child. Perhaps bulk them up slightly; same goes for Mr. Laptop. With regards the guy standing, something just doesn't look right about that foot to me. The angle you've chosen means the bottom of it is a perfectly horizontal line and takes any sense of depth away from that part of the image. It's possibly a bit long too - people vary of course, but I believe its a fairly general rule that your foot will be the length from your elbow to your wrist (just checked and mine is) - your bloke's foot goes to where his fingertips would be.

Hope those are some fair comments. Keep it up.