IGNORED

Angry At Your Games

Kelthink

Right right: I used to GET FURIOUS when playing cetain games of old. Mess up, start again. If it happened numerous times, I would do something, like spit in a bin, or slam my fist down and curse lots. It started happening again, this time with GTA:SA, but I'm a little more relaxed now, and will merely snap my fingers, or make a funny sound with my mouth. And maybe grind my teeth.

Does anybody else do this, or am I the only one? Any bizarre reactions out there?

We talking classic game rage or just odd reactions?

When I try and control the outbursts I usually end up dancing in a circle or something. Not the best reaction with a room full of people. Laughed at much? Yes.

I feel the need to add: I broke my first ever pad this week fighting Jinpachi on Tekken 5. First breakage in 16 years of gaming frustrations. It is a sad day.

One of my mates is one of the worst for game-rage.

In his time he's gone through about 7 controllers by smashing them against the floor, including an original Xbox controller. I mean, how sturdy are those beasts and he still managed to crack it in two! He also kicked a chest of drawers bare foot, and broke the door off. His final act of rage was trying to push me through the window. Thankfully, he's calmed down a bit since then!

Any guesses as to the game which caused this rage?

When I was a kid I used to beat the heck out of cushions and stuff. These days I tend to swear violently or sort of point out the faults of the game as if to an audience, usually with some kind of pleading disbelief in my voice. Was doing that last night with Final Fantasy Tactics actually - I was in a fight and the opponents kept using magical attacks without any of their MP going down. I had a good out-loud rant about cheating games and how disappointed I was with such cheapness.

I try and rend the controller in two with my bare hands, while growling.

One of my more unorthodox reactions is to give a little speech in perfectly calm English to myself about how 'this isn't even fun any more, I'm not even ENJOYING it.'

I feel the need to add: I broke my first ever pad this week fighting Jinpachi on Tekken 5. First breakage in 16 years of gaming frustrations. It is a sad day.

Jinpachi is pretty easy as long as you know what to do with your character (and aren't in one of Lei's twattish stances when attmepting to sidestep his fireballs).

Not that it stops me from slamming my hand against the (thankfully very sturdy) arcade stick when facing a Sage level Paul Phoenix and eating yet another Death Fist...

Ninja Gaiden got the "Swear Award" for sure.

Closely and in the second position there is GTA: SA when you die thanks to the still shitty fighting/combat controls.

And last but not least that fu***** Metal Gear Solid 3 USa version, I can't stand the whole concept that the guards can kill you with a well deserved grenade thrown to you.

I have to say if a game gets me really annoyed, I will calmly turn it off, delete the save and trade it in. Whilst swearing and having an internal ranting session, cursing the programmers and, similar to Crispin, tell myself that I didn't even enjoy it.

I'm a controller-thrower par-excellance...

First game to REALLY enrage me was DK64 - the "Jack in the Box" boss to be exact. One controller was slammed-down so hard the 'handle' on the left side is broken - whilst, ironically, the other controller I had at the time has a knackered button from the constant hammering that boss gave it - so I reckon Rare owe me 2 controllers, and they can afford it too!!

Not much has angered me that much since thankfully - tho something on the PS2 did cause the broken casing on my current Dual-Shock, can't remember what tho...

Oddly, I've never thrown an XBOX Controller - tho that could be because of it's size and the likelihood it will kill someone :(

JP

Any bizarre reactions out there?

In the real world I'm a non-aggressive person. I want the world to be a better place. And I believe that love and truth are the answers for all of us.

But, if the next Xbox remote controllor does not have an "off" switch then I will not only not buy the machine but I will go into fucking rage and sell off every piece of gaming software and hardware I own and never come back to games again ever.

I usually shout something like, "IF IT ONLY DID WHAT I TOLD IT!" or "I DIDN'T DO THAT!" whenever a videogame character does completely the wrong thing: usually followed by a terrifying and uncomprehending stare at the TV.

Obviously, it's never my fault.