Jump to content
IGNORED

Bottom : An Appreciation


Hello Goaty ♥
 Share

Recommended Posts

38 minutes ago, Hanzo the Razor said:

Probably the hardest I have ever laughed at anything was the first episode of Series 3 was shown on BBC2.  When Rik plonked himself down and the big wheel carriage came away underneath him I was on my knees buckled over.

 

"Don't you dare call me overweight, young man." 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think I was too young to appreciate the humour of Bottom last time around, but I've been catching them on Sky recently and enjoying it. I did have a proper laugh during the Christmas episode when they're playing charades, and they all just start saying "Goldfinger!" :lol:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 03/11/2018 at 13:28, Capwn said:

I wonder how Bottom would be regarded if it came out today? Especially in regards to sexism. Was it actually in poor taste or was it so tongue in cheek where the butt of the joke were the men? I'm trying to remember a scene where it crossed the line but can't think of anything specific. They were often trying to have sex with women but did they ever force themselves on them? I honestly can't remember?

 

The BBC would never have commissioned such a show in 2018.  These days it's all about political correctness with the BBC.  Even if they did green-light Bottom in 2018 they'd insist one of the lead characters had to be female & the other from a minority ethnic group.  So instead of Richie & Eddy we'd have Imran & Julie.  With no violence.

 

Rik & Ade actually wrote a fourth series of Bottom but it was rejected by "some lesbian bitch" at the BBC according to Rik.  So clearly even 10+ years ago the BBC would never have aired a show like Bottom which is just sad & pathetic.

I grew up watching shows like Bottom.  I saw all the Bottom live stage shows too and there really was nothing like it.  Rik's performance left you speechless.  It was extraordinary to see someone so much energy & charisma performing right in front if you.

 

Rik & Ade said numerous times that Bottom was 'cartoon violence'.  It's no different to Tom & Jerry violently beating the fuck out of each other with things like frying pans, steam irons & baseball bats.

 

Bottom was so cleverly written.  They got the tone perfect and never had to resort to shock-tactics to get laughs like they did in Little Britain.  Rik's completely OTT acting and facial expressions had me crying with laughter.  Bottom was genius.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 04/11/2018 at 21:24, Hanzo the Razor said:

Probably the hardest I have ever laughed at anything was the first episode of Series 3 was shown on BBC2.  When Rik plonked himself down and the big wheel carriage came away underneath him I was on my knees buckled over.

When he throws the lit bottle of booze into the air to act as a flare so they are spotted:

"Wait for it to burst... Wait for it to burst.. Wait for... Right look out!"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Chadruharazzeb said:

I've often wondered why the film turned out so bloody awful. I mean it was abysmal, wasn't it? 

 

They didn't have much money to make the film & it wasn't too long after Rik's accident so he wasn't at his best.  Simon Pegg said he had trouble remembering his lines most of the time. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, ScouserInExile said:

On the "how does it stand up today" thing: it's kinda like Alf Garnet to me. He was openly racist, but in doing so he showed up how stupid racism was. Could it be made today? Doubt it.

its nowhere near as fucked up as Alf Garnet.  as has been said susinctly in this thread lately, they are the butt of all jokes. they're the clowns.they dont go around preaching and making fun of anyone but themselves.

 

sex shop scene - made to look sad and pathetic

following pub scene with the lesbians - made to look sad and pathetic and get beat up for their actions leading up to it. the women were strong and respectful, the laughter wasnt at them, it was at Richie for being so decrepit and useless.

 

the one where he's trying it on with the barmaid, she remains on top of the situation throughout, and is even iirc in on the scheme to take their money.

the war falklands war vet in that episode getting his own back and making richie and eddie look stupid. 

 

its a common theme throughout a lot of british comedy. self depreciation is one of the core comedy pillars in this country, that degraded and became unpopular with the ease of access to "fresh" US based comedy where its all about the big-man, the hero,  belittling others and cracking wise.  The question "could it be made today?" comedy has changed. i'm a strong believer that it's got worse. so much worse, but bottom is somewhat ageless. cleaverly written, sharp, self depreciative, slapstick, what more would you want?

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I saw Bottom Live 2 in Glasgow. They were brilliant. I can still see Rik flicking the V's at the audience and winding up various audience members about how much better England is than Scotland. Everybody took it in good spirit and some of his banter with the audience was priceless.

 

I seem to remember Ade was trying more to stick to the script but when Rik went off at a tangent he just had to stand there and let him go.

 

Anyway. Both were brilliant in their own way. Legends.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Steve007 said:

 

The BBC would never have commissioned such a show in 2018.  These days it's all about political correctness with the BBC.  Even if they did green-light Bottom in 2018 they'd insist one of the lead characters had to be female & the other from a minority ethnic group.  So instead of Richie & Eddy we'd have Imran & Julie.  With no violence.

 

Rik & Ade actually wrote a fourth series of Bottom but it was rejected by "some lesbian bitch" at the BBC according to Rik.  So clearly even 10+ years ago the BBC would never have aired a show like Bottom which is just sad & pathetic.
 

2

 

 Series 4 was never really started. They tossed around ideas for several years and just couldn't come up with something really good. They wrote something but nothing firm. 

Also, your first statement is just shite. Reads like something from UKiP. If the BBC was afraid of showing comedies with cartoonish violence and an all white cast then why do they show....vomit...Mrs Browns Boys. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Hanzo the Razor said:

I saw Bottom Live 2 in Glasgow. They were brilliant. I can still see Rik flicking the V's at the audience and winding up various audience members about how much better England is than Scotland. Everybody took it in good spirit and some of his banter with the audience was priceless.

 

I seem to remember Ade was trying more to stick to the script but when Rik went off at a tangent he just had to stand there and let him go.

 

Anyway. Both were brilliant in their own way. Legends.

 

I saw the one where they were stuck on an island - 3 maybe? Was quite disappointed to discover the "off script" bits were the same on the video as live (the video was from another night)

 

I also saw what I think was the last tour. It involved time travel or a rocket or something. It actually wasn't funny. At all. You could tell they'd run out of ideas and had no new jokes. They relied on "have a wank!" to get any laughs, essentially. And they might have been having a bad night, but they didn't seem to have their hearts in it either.

 

I think they were best off ending where they did. A couple of brilliant series and done. They could have forced another series or two out and it would have tarnished the legacy and soured the memories.

 

Which brings me to:

 

6 hours ago, Steve007 said:

 

 

Rik & Ade actually wrote a fourth series of Bottom but it was rejected by "some lesbian bitch" at the BBC according to Rik.  So clearly even 10+ years ago the BBC would never have aired a show like Bottom which is just sad & pathetic.
 

Fairly sure this is bollocks. Ade said a good few times that he didn't want to do it anymore. He cited a few things like he found it all too predictable to be fun anymore and that he didn't want to spend the rest of his life making knob gags. It caused a good bit of ill feeling between him and Rik, I believe.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, ScouserInExile said:

 

I saw the one where they were stuck on an island - 3 maybe? Was quite disappointed to discover the "off script" bits were the same on the video as live (the video was from another night)

 

I also saw what I think was the last tour. It involved time travel or a rocket or something. It actually wasn't funny. At all. You could tell they'd run out of ideas and had no new jokes. They relied on "have a wank!" to get any laughs, essentially. And they might have been having a bad night, but they didn't seem to have their hearts in it either.

 

I think they were best off ending where they did. A couple of brilliant series and done. They could have forced another series or two out and it would have tarnished the legacy and soured the memories.

 

Which brings me to:

 

Fairly sure this is bollocks. Ade said a good few times that he didn't want to do it anymore. He cited a few things like he found it all too predictable to be fun anymore and that he didn't want to spend the rest of his life making knob gags. It caused a good bit of ill feeling between him and Rik, I believe.

 

http://lostmediaarchive.wikia.com/wiki/Bottom_Series_Four_(BBC-Rejected_Scripts;_Mid-to-Late_1990s)

 

Quote

Before Rik Mayall and Ade Edmonson were planning and then dismissing other ideas for TV continuations of Bottom, the very first one they had was the fourth series of Bottom they had written some time between the finale of the third series and around the time Ade Edmonson started saying it was definitely time to stop because of the duo's growing age (a year after their last tour "Weapons Grade Y-Fronts" had ended). A fourth series was announced over the closing credits of the original broadcast of the series three finale and on airings of the show on BBC2 and the scripts were fully written and sent to the BBC before being rejected by, as Rik Mayall puts it, "some lesbian bitch", and because of this, Rik Mayall was extremely furious, stating things like "the BBC had killed my and Ade's baby".

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, DukeOfEarlsfield said:

An article from a random website, written by an anonymous poster with no named sources or links.

 

Do your own fucking research.  Some right moaners in this thread.  I'm just here to appreciate Rik & Ade.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, ScouserInExile said:

I just think this thread need a some serious debate, such as:

Which is better? The fight when they play chess or when they batter the gas man?

 

The chess fight by some margin. It's the build up to it which does it for me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.