IGNORED

Phantasy Star Universe

Beertiger

Hey folks, i'm a vet from the old Edge DC PSO days, if anyone remembers Splinter/Tizer or Doc fiend.

Am I right in thinking the servers will be platform specific? Shame if they are. I'll probably import for my PS2 or possibly the 360 version but no PC here :P

You still post on your Dreamcast then? :P

SEGA is proud to announce the start of the Open Beta for Xbox 360 on October 11th!. This will be the first chance to play the newest addition to the long running Phantasy Star series. The Beta test period is expected to run until October 18th and will allow participants to play through a portion of the online game. We encourage users interested in the Multiplayer aspects of Phantasy Star Universe to check out all there is to see in the Beta environment!

Getting started is extremely easy! If you want to participate you must have an active Xbox Live Gold account. The Beta will be available for download on the Xbox Marketplace between October 11th and October 12th. Once you have the beta downloaded, you'll be able to play immediately!

Official site confirms the HL is $9.99 per month and is that PSU is accessible through a Silver Live sub. (The demo's only accessible for Gold subbers though, as stated above.)

No word at all on being able to pay with gamer points. It appears at this stage that the only payment options are Playsega's Visa/Mastercard ones.

Inflated sterling price. PSO:BB is £5.99 a month, which I think is more than the US $ equivalent for BB. I can't recall the exact $ sub for BB though - but I can confirm you can't pay in $ if you're a UK cardholder (at least, I never could).

I know there are rumours of the gamer points deal for 360 owners - I've read them too - but the official site doesn't mention it at all when it describes the payment options. So for now, so close to release, I'd say it remains firmly in the 'rumours' camp.

Inflated sterling price. PSO:BB is £5.99 a month, which I think is more than the US $ equivalent for BB. I can't recall the exact $ sub for BB though - but I can confirm you can't pay in $ if you're a UK cardholder (at least, I never could).

I know there are rumours of the gamer points deal for 360 owners - I've read them too - but the official site doesn't mention it at all when it describes the payment options. So for now, so close to release, I'd say it remains firmly in the 'rumours' camp.

Boo.. I need a Visa now? I mean, can you just get a visa like that?

Yes it does:

For the Xbox 360 version, you'll need a broadband connection and an Xbox 360. You'll need to set up an Xbox Live account with a Gamer Tag, if you don't have one already, and then grab your GUARDIANS License from the Xbox Marketplace, and you'll be good to go!

So points, as expected.

Oh and...

Which version of the game should I get?(2-5)

That depends on you, but each has their own advantages. PC users and PS2 users from the same country can play together in the same Phantasy Star Universe world! Xbox 360 users will be able to play with their Japanese counterparts and also use the Xbox headsets for voice chat capabilities. It just depends on what you're looking for, and where your friends are… Maybe you should just get them all!

MASSIVE LOL SEGA!

Hooray for Wednesday. It'll be a good week.

Cheers Gorf Knight, 'tis as I feared.

Still, I've been thinking about this for a while, and I think I'm going to be in. I feel I missed out a bit by never playing PSO. Indeed, I've never played an online RPG at all. I might hate it, but I want to give it a try.

PSO isn't an "online RPG" in the WOW sense. It's very much its own beast.

D'oh! Right you are.

How will the $9.99 through Xbox Marketplace translate into sterling cost, according to your experience?

I don't have a 360 so I wouldn't know but doing a conversion from dollars to US Marketplace Points should give us an idea.

I'll bet its 800 points though as most of the downloadable content is in multiples of 400 points.

I've been playing this in Japan for over a month now, it pretty good. You'll be happy if you liked PSO as its basically a considerably jazzed up version of that. If you play with friends (especially rl life friends), its great. If you're just playing with random strangers it may get a bit boring.

Just like every online game though, it does have its flaws. Its equivalent of mags are just as tedious as before and navigating player run shops is needlessly time consuming. Sega also locked a lot of content at release and feed it to us in dribs and drabs in order to keep our interest and montly payments going, which is pretty annoying.

I still reccomend it though.

-Jools