I Watched Goodfellas Last Night

Lovelyman

Quite easily when you have the stupid double sided DVD of the film. Completely and utterly stupid.

It was a disgrace the Special Edition took so long to appear, the double sided only original was the reason I had to wait soo long to own it on DVD.

Some bloke meets a beautiful arty woman in a coffeeshop in SoHo in NYC. She invites him over to her place. And then... well, a lot of odd stuff happens and he meets a load of odd people and he tries to get home and the plot lines kind of weave in and out of each other. I saw it by chance on the telly late at night once, having no idea it was any good and I was gripped. I'd love to see it again.

More After Hours love here, despite the fact that in many ways I see it as a horror film and most of the nightmares I've ever had were based/inspired around it.

As for Goodfellas, I honestly believe that in all round terms, it's the finest film ever made. The direction, performances and soundtrack are flawless and it mixes comedy, romance and drama brilliantly. Loads of films have been robbed at the Oscars over the years but this one was the most hard done by.

As for Goodfellas, I honestly believe that in all round terms, it's the finest film ever made. The direction, performances and soundtrack are flawless and it mixes comedy, romance and drama brilliantly. Loads of films have been robbed at the Oscars over the years but this one was the most hard done by.

Yep, I have thought that for many, many years and although I watch lots of films, Goodfellas is still unsurpasable. People always refer to De Niro in regard to Goodfellas but for me Liotta was even better. De Niro is now an embarassing caricature of his former self while Liotta has went on to make stonking films like Narc in recent times. Liotta was probably the only bright spot in the lamenatable Hannibal. Outside of Meet the Parents / Fockers I can't think of a decent De Niro film in a long, long time. De Niro used to be my acting idol but now I literally go out of my way to avoid the mans films. I have had Godsend on DVD for ages but i have been warned by everyone not to watch it. <_<

YOutside of Meet the Parents / Fockers I can't think of a decent De Niro film in a long, long time.

Very true. He had a good run in 1997 with Copland, Jackie Brown and Wag the Dog but that's almost a decade ago. Shame, as he's probably my favorite actor ever.

The man is a living legend though.

Vito Corleone.

Travis Bickle.

Al Capone.

Jake La Motta.

Jack Walsh.

Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle.

David 'Noodles' Aaronson.

Rupert Pupkin.

Louis Cyphre.

Michael Vronsky.

Jimmy Conway.

Sam 'Ace' Rothstein.

Neil McCauley.

Feel free to add.

Goodfellas is my second favorite film of all time, we had the soundtrack as backing music when we got married, entering to 'From Rags To Riches' was a great way to start married life :wub:

:) Please tell me just the two of you danced to 'Life is but a Dream'. If I ever get married that song will be danced to.

Very true. He had a good run in 1997 with Copland, Jackie Brown and Wag the Dog but that's almost a decade ago.

I know Wag the Dog is supposed to satirical but I just never ever liked that film. I am not disputing De Niro's performance but the film never struck me as being anywhere near as good as Copland and Jackie Brown.

Hmmmm. I'm sure it was Sunshine *shrugs*

EDIT: It was bugging me so i checked and the bit i was thinking of with Sunshine of  Your love was where Jimmy decides to kill Maurie after Lufthansa

That's an excellent scene. The way the camera just slowly zooms in on De Niro sat at the bar with the blackest of black looks on his face. Superb.