IGNORED

Doctor Who

FishyFish

You saw the creature inside the Dalek in Genesis of the Daleks (possibly in other stories too).

I want to see the inside of a Dalek! Someone find a pic please :P

I seem to remember Ace smacked one in with her baseball bat after its head got knocked off.

Well it looks like The Doctor will be with us for the near future.

http://media.guardian.co.uk/broadcast/stor...1448436,00.html

Second Doctor Who series already in pipeline

Jason Deans, broadcasting editor

Wednesday March 30, 2005

The BBC has wasted no time in commissioning a Christmas special and second series of its Doctor Who revival, less than a week after the time traveller returned to BBC1 after an absence of 16 years with nearly 10 million viewers.

However, the BBC head of drama commissioning, Jane Tranter, was unable to confirm whether Christopher Eccleston, the ninth doctor, or Billie Piper, who plays his sidekick, would be returning - opening up the possibility that the man with the sonic screwdriver might have to undergo yet another regeneration within a year.

Ms Tranter said she had commissioned the Christmas special and a second series of Doctor Who yesterday - just three days after the sci-fi show began its new 13-part run on BBC1 with 9.9 million viewers, beating off stiff opposition from Ant and Dec's Saturday Night Takeaway.

"So now we've got to start talking to Billie and Chris about what they want to do. I want to make Doctor Who again, but there is a mischievous element to it, in that you can keep regenerating [the Doctor]," she added.

"I think Chris is fantastic as Doctor Who. But we've still got another 12 episodes to go. People will have to wait and see what happens," Ms Tranter said, speaking at a Broadcasting Press Guild lunch today.

She added that Eccleston and Piper's contracts included options to do more series, which is standard practice in returning TV dramas.

But Ms Tranter indicated that it was not yet certain that the pair, who have been generally well received by viewers, critics and die-hard fans of Doctor Who, would continue to be part of the show after the current series.

The lead writer on the new Doctor Who series, Queer as Folk creator Russell T Davies, will be writing the Christmas special, which will be broadcast towards the end of this year.

Ms Tranter revealed that Doctor Who was "probably the riskiest thing I've ever commissioned", because of the cost and the commitment to a 13-episode series, adding that she was shocked at how popular the first episode had proved on Saturday night.

"In all honesty I had got myself into proverbial steel jacket as far as Doctor Who was concerned. I told myself I'd be completely and utterly thrilled if it got 6.5 million, but there was a little voice inside whispering '4.5 million'," she confessed.

She said that Barb's AI index, the audience research measure of how much viewers enjoyed a show, had scored 81 out of 100 for Doctor Who - above the average for the corporation's dramas, which is 78.

Ms Tranter added that the BBC had always envisaged that the Doctor Who revival would be scheduled early on Saturday evening, even though this put it head to head with Saturday Night Takeaway, one of ITV1's biggest entertainment hits.

"We wanted it to be early Saturday evening, because that had been the slot before, and Russell [T Davies] had written it with that time in mind. There's something there for every adult to chew on, but also something for children. If you played it at a different time, it's just not going to work," she added.

I'm glad that they are feeling upbeat about the future of the show, but the speed of which they bring up the regeneration is worrying. In this context I'm sure it was a joke, but with Eccleston saying that he doesn't want to get too bogged down with the role, it would not surprise me if they did a Colin Baker with him (especially if Russle T Davies drops out)

Would it diminsh the franchise to invent some plot device that could bring the Doctor past his final incarnation? I'm fine with it, but I just wondered if any purists out there would be offended.

Would it diminsh the franchise to invent some plot device that could bring the Doctor past his final incarnation? I'm fine with it, but I just wondered if any purists out there would be offended.

I'd be amazed if CE didnt want to do a second series, but who knows. Also [sad fanboy mode on] They've already done the plot device thingy in "The Five Doctors". The High council of Timelords (see said it was sad :ph34r:) of gallifrey offered the Master a new cycle of regenerations in exchange for his help. [sad fanboy mode off]

The FAQ at Outpost Gallifrey has the following to say (although it's not official and hasn't been updated in light of today's news yet):

What are the chances of a second series?

A second series hasn't even been addressed on any level by any official branch of the BBC, though expectations are high for a second series and beyond. Everyone involved just wants to concentrate on this first series and make that a success. The few indications are that Eccleston has signed at least a two-year deal and the BBC has by all accounts put everything they can into the series return and want it to have a long run at 13 episodes a year for at least five years. The series ratings will be the prime factor in the show continuing but not the only thing. The actual quality of the show, audience appreciation, press and critical reaction will be factors as well. International TV sales and DVD sales also are prime factors as is merchandise spin-offs. The BBC want Doctor Who to be their Star Trek, a franchise that can cross media. A new series could also add a lot of forward motion to the long-stalled movie which BBC films has had in development formany years. All indications are it is going to have every chance for success and have another long run on BBC1.

It may be me being cynical, but talk of "regeneration" and stuff is a great way of the BBC saying (in light of recent cost cuts): "You know, we don't really need you Christopher Ecclestone", in a way to keep his salary low for a 2nd season.

It may be me being cynical, but talk of "regeneration" and stuff is a great way of the BBC saying (in light of recent cost cuts): "You know, we don't really need you Christopher Ecclestone", in a way to keep his salary low for a 2nd season.

or its also an amazing way to drive up hype for the show and keep an audience.

Whats the bets the series ends on a cliffhanger with the Doctors's life in real peril. Will he regenerate? Find out Xmas Day. Works for me :ph34r:

That what will happen I reckon and this is just speculation.

I'd be amazed if CE didnt want to do a second series, but who knows.  Also [sad fanboy mode on]  They've already done the plot device thingy in "The Five Doctors".  The High council of Timelords (see said it was sad :blink:) of gallifrey offered the Master a new cycle of regenerations in exchange for his help.  [sad fanboy mode off]

How about going back and using Paul McGann again when CE is done? It seems like a terrible waste of a regeneration. Why didn't they just say the TV Movie wsn't cannon?

How about going back and using Paul McGann again when CE is done? It seems like a terrible waste of a regeneration. Why didn't they just say the TV Movie wsn't cannon?

I have no idea what cannon means, but the less said about that movie the better. It was fucking terrible. To this day I haven't managed to sit through the whole thing without getting bored enough to turn it off.

Best to treat it like Peter Cushing and just pretend it didn't happen (well, so far as Docs go anyway, I liked Dalek Invasion of Earth).

Hang on - all the episodes have been filmed surely?

Earlyish April fool to DW fans?

Nope, just a not very well written article. They mean that he's left after one episode has been aired - the article later states that he'll be leaving "at Christmas".

When it said leaving at Christmas, I took it to mean that he'd be in series 2 (which will presumaby film this year). However it doesn't look to be the case:

http://www.gallifreyone.com/newstv.php

BBC News has confirmed rumors from earlier today that Christopher Eccleston has decided not to return to Doctor Who for a second series. Press Association, a news wire service, says "Actor Christopher Eccleston has quit as Doctor Who after just one series, it was announced tonight. The star, who has appeared in television drama Cracker and hit film, Shallow Grave, is worried about being typecast. He is also planning new projects and found filming the series gruelling. In a statement issued through the BBC, Eccleston said: ‘The audience's response for the new Doctor Who has been incredible and I am really proud to be part of it and I hope viewers continue to enjoy the series." Former pop star, Billie Piper, will return in the role of the Time Lord's assistant, Rose, in the next raft of shows. Meanwhile, the BBC confirmed it was in talks with actor David Tennant, the star of the drama Casanova, which is currently showing on BBC3, as a possible replacement for Eccleston. Earlier today, the BBC announced it had commissioned the second series." Outpost Gallifrey earlier reported that the Sun newspaper was leading tomorrow with a story entitled "Doctor Who Quits!" but that it was possibly speculation taken from the Jane Tranter comments earlier today; however, with the news flash on BBC News, and a statement from Eccleston, it now appears to be true. We will keep you posted on breaking news about this development.

I'm pretty certain that he could've carried it off for a couple of years without being completely typecast. Ah well, looks like he'll be in jeopardy come episode 13 then...