Doctor Who

FishyFish

This has been great, if a bit schmaltzy. Matt Smith was a nice touch.

Reece Shearsmith was a bit lolsome though.

Just about to post exactly that.

I did like the bit after the credits. Especially the interview when he was doing panto. All the "I'm a legit actor" seemed a bit cliche in the show but there he was saying those exact words for real.

Maybe someone should force moffat to watch all of babylon 5 so that he can learn what the term "story arc" actually means.

Babylon 5's a big pile of shit

And tonight's show was nothing short of fantastic. I really liked the touch of putting Matt Smith in there - shame they couldn't have put more Doctors in it too. Loved the bit with the doors!!

I think it was the "I don't want to go" beforehand, which retroactively made good on Tennant's leaving-blubfest.

I lost it at the blubfest too. :ph34r:

But yes, I was welling up from that point onwards. I thought the whole thing was pretty wonderful, which now brings the score to 2/2 for the anniversary specials. :)

That was ace - daleks come the first season?! They need some more ideas, and a reboot of format.

Not just the first season, but the second serial! It's quite amazing how much of Doctor Who's iconic stuff was there right from the start.

Yes! An Adventure in Space and Time was superb. I'm a massive geek for all the details about the studio production stuff, so it was fantastic to see it all recreated in what looked like loving detail. Some dude in the credits was listed as "in vision boom operator" or something alongside the other technical jobs, so presumably they got someone on-screen who actually knew what they were doing. :)

It was great to see Hartnell's infectious enthusiasm for the role too and get a sense of what he was like off-set. I don't really know much about his tenure, and I think I've only seen about three of his stories (soon to be increased when I catch up with the episodes of An Unearthly Child they stuck on BBC4 immediately afterwards!), so I wasn't really aware that he was actually really keen on the programme despite his prickly demeanour.

And to cap it all off I watched The Night of the Doctor on the red button afterwards. Hadn't bothered before. I was trying not to be, but I'm definitely excited about Saturday now!!

Great docudrama, but the Matt Smith appearance was a little jarring, emphasising the disconnect between old man who and action hero who. Like Jeebus, I would have preferred Hartnell to have seen his character evolve up to the present day.

Anyone willing to CGI Peter Capaldi into the scene for the 51st anniversary?

As much as I'm looking forward to Saturday's episode, if it ends up with millions of Daleks flying around like fucking TIE fighters then I'm probably going to be dissapointed.

Giving Daleks the ability to fly is one of the worse things they ever did, as is all the hyperbole about a single Dalek being able to wipe out entire planets etc... Daleks used to be scary due to their sinister, remorseless, aggresive ways and that wasn't lessened by their need for mobility access. Something seems to have been lost in the programme's strive for ever more spectacle.

Last night's drama was wonderful though.

Babylon 5's a big pile of shit

And tonight's show was nothing short of fantastic. I really liked the touch of putting Matt Smith in there - shame they couldn't have put more Doctors in it too. Loved the bit with the doors!!

But at least it tells a coherent storyline over a number of episodes, instead of shoehorning in references at the end of the episode and passing that off as a storyline.

Tonight's show on bbc2 looks superb, stunning portrayal of Williiam Hartnell! 9pm dudes

Wow, that was amazing.

It's a bit weird that a drama documentary of the origin of the TV show itself is the best thing to come out of the show in recent times