Doctor Who

FishyFish

I love how Moffat wrote in Tom Baker's role. For those who don't understand: The Curator seems to be a much, much older version of the Doctor, who's gotten access to his older bodies, revisiting his favourite ones. In this case, the Fourth Doctor only significantly older. As the Curator, he minds over all his past work, making sure no one undoes what he has worked so hard for to protect.

In any case, Tom gave a wonderfull performance. Still with the exact same childish gleam when he was playing the Doctor.

@heretic: I'd say the new Doctors contacted all of the older ones via the TARDIS. Considering these paradoxes, where the Doctor meets himself, always wind up wiping the younger Doctor's memories, none of the other Doctor's remember what they've done to Gallifrey.

I love how Moffat wrote in Tom Baker's role. For those who don't understand: The Curator seems to be a much, much older version of the Doctor, who's gotten access to his older bodies, revisiting his favourite ones.

When you say "don't understand" do you mean this was actually explained and we missed it?

Moffat probably just liked the idea of an extra 'un-doctor' incarnation. Which is a really nice concept in itself. Separating the man from the role.

Wondered if this was a (possible) call back to the infamous Cartmel Masterplan, the idea of the Doctor having different names in Other, unknown, incarnations. Possibly.

Tried to watch that 'after party' thing on iPlayer. Horrendous. Managed about 3 minutes. Why do they make stuff like that? Who is it for? It's like a 1980's saturday morning kids show. Switched off when they mentioned One Direction. FFS.

Moffat's writing is hardly that great, man.

Needed more stupid Ranting Robots?

Tried to watch that 'after party' thing on iPlayer. Horrendous. Managed about 3 minutes. Why do they make stuff like that? Who is it for? It's like a 1980's saturday morning kids show. Switched off when they mentioned One Direction. FFS.

Watched most of it on Fast Forward (particularly the one direction bit!). Bit that made me cringe the most was the bloke insisted on calling them by the companion names whilst zoe (god does she ever take a breath?) ball used the real names. You missed Stephen Moffatt having a pop at Michael Grade which made it worth while.

Oh and for those who have not yet seen the fiveish doctors thing yet do, it gets a big laugh.

I quite liked that. There are a lot of stories I've enjoyed more (in the new series, I'm not a classic watcher), but it did a really nice job as a big spectacular. I'm not a big fan of the jammy dodger fezzes are brilliant self-indulgence thing that Moffat does but if ever there was a time it was appropriate, it was here. Some good laughs, and I thought that using shape-shifters (same appearance, different people) alongside the Doctors (vice versa) was a really neat idea.

The lack of Ecclestone was a shame, but I think it's more complicated than "oh, why didn't he just come in and film a few lines". There are a whole load of actors in my family and friends of family, and the politics of these things can be pretty complicated. I'm sure he had his reasons. Of course I might be cutting him a bit of slack because he's definitely my favourite of the three new Doctors and I'm still sad we only got one series of him.

Bloody hell, that one shot of Capaldi. Intense as fuck, man.

So how is Gallifrey lost then? I mean it's in that painting right and he knows where that is.

It's not in the painting. They just used a similar method on a much bigger scale but Gallifrey was moved into a pocket universe....and he didn't even know it had worked until Far Far Future Tom dropped the hint that it had. He certainly doesn't know how to find the pocket universe yet

When you say "don't understand" do you mean this was actually explained and we missed it?

Tom said (In his weird rambling way) that eventually the Doctor ends up reusing past appearances (But just thee fave ones). What you have to do after that is read between the lines. Listen to his other dialogue again and see what's implied. Also remember it doesn't matter since Tom Baker is never getting the role again and it's easy to make a far, far future doctor who's retired after the show ends and need never be mentioned again :)

The war council mentioned that the High council were doing their own thing. At that same moment they were trying to use the Master and the sound of drums to escape in End of Time. Shortly after that failed The Day of the Doctor happened and Gallifrey was locked away in a pocket universe. Wibbly wobbly but it does all fit. They weren't frozen at the time. Just time locked. Matt and Dave were only able to enter the time lock to help Hurt because the Moment let them in. Conversely the High council could only try to get out by using a link they'd created with the Master.

Ah right, thanks!

Thanks for the info - but what that doesn't clear up is why all of the other doctors turned up to freeze (or whatever it was) Gallifrey.

I could understand that if it was John Hurt was the first doctor, and somehow he had managed to put something in his memory about all of them turning up at that specific moment in time, but why would the others find out about the plan if John Hurt was after them? Plus they said at the end that he would forget it all anyway - so how did the other 10 doctors find out about it?

Maybe it did a lot of fan service, but to someone (like me) who doesn't know that much about recent Doctor Who, it seemed like a total mess.

Apart from the last 15 minutes, which were great. Even then, I had no idea how it all fitted together.

And my wife thought it was utter bollocks, so I know I'm not alone ;-)

Just felt like it was too fan focused. It seems crazy having to have watched an online mini episode preview in order to get a better understanding of the actual special!

It's like this:

First Doctor: William Hartnell, who regenerates into:

Second Doctor: Patrick Troughton, who regenerates into:

Third Doctor: Jon Pertwee, who regenerates into:

Fourth Doctor: Tom Baker, who regenerates into:

Fifth Doctor: Peter Davison, who regenerates into:

Sixth Doctor: Colin Baker, who regenerates into:

Seventh Doctor: Sylvester McCoy.

The classic series ends during this generation and continues in the 1996 TV Movie, where he regenerates into:

Eighth Doctor: Paul McGann.

At some point between the TV Movie and the TV series restarting in 2005, there's a Great Time War between the Daleks and the Timelords on Gallifrey. The Doctor tries to avoid having any part in this war, but in the Night Of The Doctor mini-episode, it's revealed that the Eighth Doctor is killed in a starship crash. He's temporarily revived by the Sisterhood of Karn, who beg him to help fight in the war. To help him with this, they assist his regeneration. So the Eighth Doctor now regenerates into:

War Doctor: John Hurt. Due to his actions in the war, he chooses not to use the title 'The Doctor', but he is essentially the 9th incarnation of the Timelord normally known as The Doctor.

Wibbly wobbly timey wimey. The Doctor's a time traveller, from a race of time travellers, so phoning up himself in the past isn't going to be too tricky. It wouldn't be the first time they've all met at Gallifrey either, as the Time Lords gathered all the Doctors together in both The Three Doctors and The Five Doctors.

Thanks for the info - but what that doesn't clear up is why all of the other doctors turned up to freeze (or whatever it was) Gallifrey.

I could understand that if it was John Hurt was the first doctor, and somehow he had managed to put something in his memory about all of them turning up at that specific moment in time, but why would the others find out about the plan if John Hurt was after them? Plus they said at the end that he would forget it all anyway - so how did the other 10 doctors find out about it?

I know this! Billie McPipex, as the OS of The Moment, had pulled the two doctors out of the future to help John Hurt make the right decision, so she also had the power to grab all the others.

Do you really need every detail explained. It's entirely reasonable to assume The Moment did it, or he punched something into the TARDIS that sent it backwards on time or the TARDIS did it itself having been shown to be sentient on multiple occasions. An on screen explanation just slows down the scene.

Tom was a bit weirder, but of was beautifully fudged. It is heavily implied he is a vastly older Doctor revisiting forms, but he also says "or maybe I'm you, or maybe it doesn't matter" so there its so open you'd not need to address it.

I like dhow the curator said tha the may be a future version or he may have been the fourth, that it didnt really matter

also did anyone notice the roundels on the wall in that scene? Was the current doctor in the fourth doctor/curators tardis?

cool, that is what British sci fi does right for me, unanswered questions. Let the fans make it up in their heads. American stuff falls over itself to explain it all after a while.