IGNORED

Doctor Who

FishyFish

The question is, with this coming out now, when the first ep's done good BBC ratings, will they drop hideously as the viewing public figure there's no reason to attach to somebody who's (no pun intended) leaving? We could even end up with a situation where the timing of this story coming out (there's a R.Davies pun there, I'm sure) could kill the second series, if ratings drop low enough.

Bugger.

With the speed that they've gone after David Tennant (whose also Bloody Good btw) for the Tenth Doc, does anyone else suspect that RTD and co had an inkling that Chris Ecclestone didnt want to be a long term doctor? So what happens to Piper? Does she stay and hook up with Tennant (if he agrees, if he doesnt then what?) Also would Tennant be good as the Doc? Bit too young (and don't quote Davisons and Mcganns age at me please <_< ) Someone over at Outpost Gallifrey suggested Bill Nighy or Ian Richardson as an older doctor to give it a bit more variety. Would you go for an older Doctor or not?

But to echo a point above, Chris ecclestone one season, I mean wtf WAS the point? Surely Surely RTD sat down with him before he signed and explained what was involved in becoming the latest doctor. Typical though, you wait ages for one doctor, then two come along at once.

I'm sure David Tennant would make a decent Doctor but I'm joining the ranks against Ecclescake on this one I'm afraid. According to Outpost Gallifrey the story was supposed to be kept under wraps for some times but the tabloids got hold of it so they had to announce it.

I'm sure we'll all enjoy the remainder of the series but I'm pretty gutted about the news, I don't believe the "typecast" rumours for a second.

There's little to no information available about the last episode of this series. This, coupled with the episode's title, could lead to speculation that Ecclestone's departure has been on the cards for some time and that the producers were fully aware of the fact. Broaching it too early would have muckied the pre-launch publicity.

I'm kinda' (hur, hur) pissed that this has happened and wish that CE would've invested a lengthier commitment into the series, but as long as the show is given the chance to go on, I'll live with it.

I wasn't convinced when I first heard that Ecclestone had the role, but having seen Rose I think he has the promise of being a good Doctor - there was an aura of wide-eyed enthusiasm not too far removed from Tom Baker in his first performance which bodes well - but I guess we'll have to see how the rest of the series pans out to discover how big a deal his leaving will be.

On my way into work I've realised I'm quite angry with Eccleston really and I'm not that huge a 'Who' fan. I think a lot of people are going to feel let down by this. Can you imagine Patrick Stewart quitting Next Gen after one season after the anticipation that had built up for a new Star Trek series? He surely knew that it required some kind of committment? But to do only 13 episodes? Rubbish.

By the sounds of things, the Ecclestone/Tennant switchover will be in the Christmas Special episode.

Perhaps this is just a break from tradition, and we'll see a new Doctor every series? Seems odd to keep the same sidekick, though.

After seeing the first episode, I've got to say it's a pity. Ecclestone was superb, and carried the show for me (although the Shed Man was aces, too).

But yes, why do it if you aren't in it for the long haul?

Exactly. As he's already had a very successful career before Doctor Who I can't see how doing a couple of series of the show would make him typecast in the roll. Peter Davison has gone on to do plenty of other dramas and whenever I watch him I don't think "it's Doctor Who".

The Southern Electrics and I went to BBC Wales yesterday to film a live set. But that's not important. What's important is that I had my picture taken with the Tardis!

I too think it's a shame we won't get to see Ecclestone's Doctor develop over at least two seasons. Now they've got to start from scratch again with the character. If they keep up like this doing one season = one Doctor, they'll only have 4 series before he runs out of regenerations.

If they keep up like this doing one season = one Doctor, they'll only have 4 series before he runs out of regenerations.

Luckily our other favourite Who geek, Linkster, has provided the Beeb with a way out (see earlier post)

edit: actually, it was davidcotton in the earlier post

Blunkett, just fuck off.

As for the Ecclestone thing, I think it's hilarious. Fantastic publicity for the show. As for him quitting because it's shit, that really doesn't make sense. One doesn't get typecast by a shit show that no one watches.