I've the same issue, just watching it on TV at the regular broadcast time.  @deKay are you aware of an option to force iplayer to output just stereo?  That might be the way forward for me, as some bits the music and sound effects are drowning everything else out.  Watched it live on Sunday and then Picard afterwards and it was like night and day.

15 minutes ago, deKay said:

Dunno, sorry. I play it all through 5.1 anyway.

That's why it sounds ok for you. It's been an issue for people watching in stereo since the show came back in the first place.

9 minutes ago, Flub said:

That's why it sounds ok for you. It's been an issue for people watching in stereo since the show came back in the first place.

Hence why I said:

On 29/01/2020 at 20:24, deKay said:

Check your sound setup. Are you putting 5.1 through stereo speakers?

I quite liked it actually, better than the Tesla episode for me and way better than Orphan 55. It does feel weird having a completely isolated stand-alone episode immediately following last week's madness.

Generally speaking I like the current show. Haven't seen this week's yet. But just in general, I like it.

But man - I re-watched Caves of Androzani at the weekend with someone who has never watched Classic Dr Who, and they were totally and utterly gripped throughout. 

Partly that's the format - I miss the cliffhangers so much. And partly it's because it's an outlier in terms of sheer quality. But the main thing that struck me was how much actual danger and threat is present for our heroes. They properly go through the wringer, and there's a real sense that they could die at any time. Like, really die. Even the Doctor isn't sure if he'll regenerate. So you're watching it on the edge of your seat, desperate to find out what happens next.

Nothing in the new series compares favourably IMO.

This excellent article sums it up nicely, vis à vis Nu Who:

The best that the Doctor can do here, as a direct action, is to see that he and Peri get out of the whole mess in one piece, and avoid a swift, brutal death leaving nothing behind but a horrifying blood smear and the smoking remains of a panama hat. And, of course, he fails.

This is miles away from the glib, wizardly Doctor who can restart the universe with a bit of intense handwaving and some deliberately obscurantist technobabble

https://tv.avclub.com/doctor-who-classic-the-caves-of-androzani-1798175709

"If you have been affected by any of the issues raised in this programme..."

Commendable message, and nothing wrong with explicitly stating it - but it did mean the episode had a real lurch in tone for that long epilogue.

A pretty good episode - Amy's Choice meets The Impossible Planet/The Satan Pit!

Getting the screwdriver out of her pocket and putting the gods back in their box far too easily were pretty shit bits of an otherwise good episode.

Also, if Yas is 24, what was she doing in school three years ago?

Enjoyable enough but I'm so sick of how the sonic screwdriver just seems to be able to anything and everything.

Seemed really excessive in last night's one and take away all sense of danger.

Totally agree. They already faced (and solved) this problem in 1982 FFS!

This was a particularly egregious use of it though. Shame, as the episode was one of the creepiest in a while, and the message of the week was a bit less heavy-handed than the previous "Plastic's bad, mmmmkay" one.

On 10 February 2020 at 07:13, memories said:

Enjoyable enough but I'm so sick of how the sonic screwdriver just seems to be able to anything and everything.

Seemed really excessive in last night's one and take away all sense of danger.

So, when the sonic screwdriver could not identify what the creature was you just ignored it? Or likewise when the TARDIS told the Doctor the hairs did not exist?

There are problems with the current run of Who, but the sonic screwdriver is not one of them.

They've been using the Sonic Screwdriver to write theirselves out of corners for years. This series is reminding me a lot of the Matt Smith era where they have a great Doctor Who who's largely let down by dull writing.

When Who first came back it was a huge family event and we'd all sit down and watch it together as a family. Granted my kids are a lot older now (my youngest is 14) but it's not been watched in the same way by us since the Smith era.