rllmuk
FishyFish

Doctor Who

40 minutes ago, deKay said:

Yeah but why couldn’t she

Reveal hidden contents

Regenerate? I know there’s always a way out but they gave a reason?

I'd forgotten the details too, so I looked up a summary on the absurdly detailed TARDIS wiki fansite:

Spoiler

As they prepared to depart, Missy offered to hug the Master and, after stating her enjoyment for being him, she stabbed the Master in the back, mortally wounding him in order to force his regeneration into her. However, Missy made the wound precise so that the Master would have time to reach his TARDIS before the regeneration occurred. As he was helped into the lift, the Master asked Missy to explain herself, and she told him she planned to stand with the Doctor, believing they had been leading towards it their entire lives. Furious, the Master declared that he would never stand with the Doctor, and shot Missy in the back with his laser screwdriver at full blast, mortally wounding his future incarnation past the point of regeneration. Laughing, the Master declared that their perfect ending was always going to be "shoot[ing] [them]selves in the back." Still laughing and in pain, the Master returned to Floor 1056 in the lift, leaving Missy to die alone. (TV: The Doctor Falls)

• Upvote 1

I always thought that ending was meant to be ambiguous, unless people are suggesting that 

this is an earlier version of the Master? I assumed this was a new regeneration after Missy.

Besides the rule of thumb is that unless you actually see a character die on TV then they're not dead, and even that's not exactly final when it comes to the Master.

51 minutes ago, Mogster said:

She did! Hence the 

Hide contents

new Master

I know that! I want to know the reason given why she couldn’t!

Spoiler

Well the Simm Master claimed that his laser beam 'deactivated' regeneration but we all knew that wouldn't stop him/her. What's more concerning is that I fully expect Chibbers to ignore her turn to the Doctor's side in the previous episodes.

That was a much, much better episode than last week.

• Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, Flub said:

That was a much, much better episode than last week.

Not gonna disagree with you on that. Actually enjoyed nearly all of it. 

Definitely the best of the Chibnall-written episodes so far. But I think it did drag in places: specifically the building site conversation, and Barton's presentation speech (decent enough as Social Commentary/villainous speech, but IMO it felt like it could have been trimmed by a few lines to increase the pace).

Spoiler

Plane escape was great! Nice nod to Blink with the responses to the recording.

Not sure about the prospect of Everything You Think You Know Is A Lie revelations about the Time Lords...

That was absolutely superb. It felt like the first episode in years that's got the tone of Doctor Who just right. Ambitious, nutty, and entertaining, it's starting to feel like a family show again.

I hope we see a lot more of the Master this season, he stole the show every time he appeared. The bit where

he's cackling while randomly shrinking 19th century bystanders, then gets attacked by Ada Lovelace throwing grenades

was about as perfect a Doctor Who scene as you could ask for.

• Upvote 3

Just watched both episodes and together that was the best Doctor Who in absolutely ages. More like that, please.

Better than most of last season, but still problematic. The plots are still overstuffed and nonsense, and the constant recapping of what's just happened (or is currently happening on screen) is really getting annoying.

I still think three companions is too many. This was greatly improved by just removing them from the main plot and letting the Doctor take centre stage for once.

2 hours ago, Garwoofoo said:

I still think three companions is too many. This was greatly improved by just removing them from the main plot and letting the Doctor take centre stage for once.

And adding two more companions.

The Doctor's pretty casual about wiping people's memories now isn't she? "Just a bit of mind-rape, nowt to worry about." 

2 minutes ago, Mr Combo Breaker said:

Yeah I thought that, Batman would be furious

I got that reference. 

One thing that confused me was that the Doctor kept going on about how she'd previously met O, and O confirmed this, so I was racking my brains trying to think which previous episode that was in, but drew a blank. From the way it was mentioned it seemed like we were also supposed to recognise him.

20 minutes ago, Darren said:

One thing that confused me was that the Doctor kept going on about how she'd previously met O, and O confirmed this, so I was racking my brains trying to think which previous episode that was in, but drew a blank. From the way it was mentioned it seemed like we were also supposed to recognise him.

In An Adventure In Space and Time, the Eleventh Doctor met William Hartnell. So maybe in an unseen scene in that programme, the Doctor also met Waris Hussein, who for some reason bears an uncanny resemblance to O. :eyebrows:

• Upvote 1

On 06/01/2020 at 15:46, Huz said:

Keep Graham, get rid of those other two.

Was it wrong that I thought Ada and the other one made better companions than the regulars (aside from Graham)?

20 hours ago, davidcotton said:

Was it wrong that I thought Ava and the other one made better companions than the regulars (aside from Graham)?

Ada. Ada Lovelace.*

*Alright, technically before she married and became Lovelace. But still.

> Nazis burst into French lady's room

> Doctor and Ada are shown hiding under the floorboards

> Nazis shoot all over the floor with their machine guns, then leave

> French lady lifts up distinctly intact carpet and floorboards to reveal a distinctly non-dead Doctor and Ada

I've watched the scene three times. Am I being dumb?

They didn't shoot the floor by where she was sitting because she was sitting there.

• Upvote 1

After enjoying the new episodes, I've just watched The Doctors Wife again. I genuinely think this is one of my favourite episodes of anything ever. It's just perfect. 

"Biting. It's like kissing, only there's a winner."

• Upvote 1

My favourite episode of modern era Dr Who is ‘The Girl In The Fireplace’.  Simply fantastic story telling, and the main reason why Tennant remains my favourite of the recent Doctors.  

Got to say though this new season is off to a flyer, and Whitaker is definitely growing into the role.  Bradley Walsh is a great companion too.

• Upvote 1

That was disappointing. My hopes were high for this one, since Ed Hime wrote by far the best episode of last series (It Takes You Away). But it turned out to be Midnight + Oxygen + [generic Base Under Siege episode] but without any of the things that made them interesting.

Spoiler

I'm surprised they didn't just go the whole-hog and break the fourth wall with that cringingly in-your-face climate change warning at the end.