rllmuk
FishyFish

Doctor Who

Since when has this show ever featured possible futures that might change if mankind bucks up its ideas? Utter shite.

I usually enjoy Doctor Who even when you lot say an episode was crap.

But that episode was utter, utter, shit.

• Upvote 4

that was a terrible episode - a pretty scary monster design (though did look rubbery suit in a few shots ) ruined by a very heavy handed preachy episode.  

Spoiler

So much for the doctors fixed points in time spiel he (before becoming a she) used to spout - now it’s oh the future can be changed if you want - you would think that the eradication of the earth would be up there in the fixed points in time list! 

6 minutes ago, papalazarou said:

that was a terrible episode - a pretty scary monster design (though did look rubbery suit in a few shots ) ruined by a very heavy handed preachy episode.  

Hide contents

So much for the doctors fixed points in time spiel he (before becoming a she) used to spout - now it’s oh the future can be changed if you want - you would think that the eradication of the earth would be up there in the fixed points in time list! 

They’ve already shown it’s still there in 5 billion years.

Oh dear, after a promising start to the series that was possibly the worst episode ever. And not just of Doctor Who.

Spoiler

After the teleporter warps them back to the TARDIS at the end, why didn't anyone suggest taking the TARDIS back to the dome a second after they left, to rescue Kane and Bellatrix Lestrange? (Especially since the initial coupon cube teleporter didn't seem to be a time machine.)

Fair enough, there could have been some technobabble reason stopping them - but at least ask!

Also, BENNI:

2 hours ago, deKay said:

I usually enjoy Doctor Who even when you lot say an episode was crap.

But that episode was utter, utter, shit.

Truest words ever spoken on Rllmuk since time someone asked "Do they have Doctor Who in Canada"

8 hours ago, Death's Head said:

"Will someone please shoot me?"

:ph34r:

Which was a fairly accurate reflection of the viewer’s experience by that point.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Darren said:

Which was a fairly accurate reflection of the viewer’s experience by that point.

Was it ever explained why he randomly was part of them? or taken by them? or whatever?

Did I fall asleep and miss something?

No, nothing was explained, nothing made sense. I'm struggling to choose a worst moment but I think it might be "the good news is this tunnel takes us back to the base, the bad news is... it goes straight through the baddies' nest!" If you told me it was written by an 8-year old who won a competition on Blue Peter to script an episode, not only would I believe you, I'd be quite relieved that it's actually a plausible reason for how it ever got made.

• Upvote 3

One bit of positivity: just been reminded that it did have two mildly amusing jokes. One was:

“He’s moving at thirty-seven klicks an hour.”

“That doesn’t sound like my Benni.”

And the other was this ("screaming" is pushing it though):

I was amused to see them materialise on the planet Tenerife. I've had a drink at that building. :)

But yeah, not great. Nice idea, awful execution.

Fucking hell that was abysmal. Made the worst episodes of the McCoy era look like The Sopranos.

• Upvote 4

Why you doing this? 

‘My mom never came to any of my birthdays’  has to take the biscuit for me.

Yep that is the worst episode of Who I have seen in over 30 years.

Yep, truly awful.

Felt like one of the runaround-a-base episodes of the RTD era, or even Classic Who, which can be decent enough if done competently, but will never be the best.

Then it just kept getting worse and worse. The old woman and "Benni!" The monsters that looked expensive yet still silly. The exotic paradise resort that looked like half a building on a cold day. Really cheap-looking alien people with green wigs and shit who would have honestly fit into the Baker/McCoy era. Pulling a Planet of the Apes twist half way through.

I don't often notice bad direction, but I noticed very obvious bad direction and editing in this episode. Reaction shots cut against b-roll of the aliens. Incomprehensible fast cuts to show "action" happening. The episode doesn't even end... the Tardis crew get transported back to the Tardis and everyone else is... left to die? No thoughts of taking the Tardis back to rescue them.

At the end when the Doctor gave a speech about global warming almost straight to camera, I said, "Okay thanks Greta."

• Upvote 1

I was actually really enjoying this, there were a few laugh out loud moments and the close up aliens rather well done - then half way through it became complete garbage. After last week I’m not sure I’m gonna make it through the rest of the series.

I'm not sure what the hell they were thinking with the bit where MAH BENNEH!!! was apparently so badly torture that he wanted to die, but expressed it with all the urgency and emotion of someone ordering an Earlybird special at Harvester. Reminded me of this.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, SqueakyG said:

The exotic paradise resort that looked like half a building on a cold day.

The rest I'll give you, but the building is real. ;)

He's got an oxygen tank

But it's a pile of wank

You know I can't take many more of these

Oh-oh-oh-oh

B-b-b-Benni and the Dregs

• Upvote 3

On 12/01/2020 at 21:52, sdmilne said:

Since when has this show ever featured possible futures that might change if mankind bucks up its ideas? Utter shite.

The TV Movie and Turn Left shows time being reversed and events changed within the episode itself. Inferno, Rise of the Cybermen, and Doomsday also depicts parallel Earths where different events occurred.

On a different note, Wikipedia claims 2020 is the year when Rory Williams is erased from existence in the Chibnall-written Cold Blood episode.

7 hours ago, knightbeat said:

On a different note, Wikipedia claims 2020 is the year when Rory Williams is erased from existence in the Chibnall-written Cold Blood episode.

Who?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SeanR said:

Who?

Rip Hunter init 

Anyway thank fuck with Doctor Who every episode is a new tale cos after Sundays worst episode ever I was nearly done with the show. 

But the Tesla ep looks much better. Please be much better.