My memory of post Baker old Who is very fuzzy. I seem to recall liking Davison and Baker but disliking McCoy. Has anyone watched this stuff in recent years ( I’ve not revisited it since broadcast). What do you think of the three actors and that period of a Who? Is it worth tracking down some?

I’ve just been filling in the gaps of what I’ve not seen  thanks to BritBox. Colin Baker I find a great Doctor for the most part, hamstrung by largely bad stories. Vengeance on Varos remains his best but Revelation of the Daleks has moments, and Alexei Sayle. The Two Doctors is a fascinating experiment in utter nastiness. I oddly enjoyed Mark of the Rani as well as at least everyone seems to be having fun!

I actually found aspects of the Trial of a Timelord fairly interesting, particularly the ‘overdubbing’ by the Matrix but it just falls apart really.

The only McCoys I was unfamiliar with were Time & the Rani (woeful and a poor follow-up) Delta & the Bannermen and The Greatest Show in the Galaxy (they’re excellent) and having now got them under my belt I feel fairly safe in saying you can’t go wrong in his era apart from Time & the Rani and maybe Dragonfire? Everything else is great. Yes, even Battlefield!

I would help you out with Davison but unfortunately BritBox has decided to stop casting to my Chromecast just I finished the Tom Bakers. However Caves of Androzani is great, one of the best.

I was going to say, The Caves of Androzani is possibly the best classic Who story I've seen, and definitely the best classic regeneration story.

I've still only seen one Colin Baker serial, that being the decent Vengeance on Varos, but his era is widely regarded as pretty rubbish due to the scripts he was given. He's also claimed that he was never allowed to play the character the way he wanted to, which I'd say has been proven by his excellent BF audios.

I've seen two McCoy serials; Ghost Light and The Curse of Fenric. Ghost Light is fun, but also completely off the wall to the point I needed to read an explanation about what actually happened. The Curse of Fenric is amazing. I think his first season is generally regarded as awful and a strong factor in why the show was cancelled, but Fenric shows just how much of a shame that was.

:wub: McCoy.

There's a lot to like. Even the serials that don't really work that well (Paradise Towers) or have bits that make you cringe yourself inside out (The Greatest Show in the Galaxy, The Happiness Patrol) have some great ideas and are a lot more fun than the worst of the classic series. Even some of the Tom Bakers! :o

If I had to recommend three stories I'd go for exactly what @Mogster has said (the McCoys plus The Caves of Androzani for Davison). If you like those, maybe skip the first series of McCoy if you're really risk-averse but then watch them all from Remembrance of the Daleks onwards!

Check out Timelash for the absolute nadir of the series.

The great thing about Androzani is that the Doctor shows up and tries to do his usual thing; unfortunately he’s landed on the planet of people who just will not put up with his crap. Literally the most suspicious and nasty people he could have met - I mean when the most reasonable person around is a psychopath in a gimp suit you know you’re in trouble. And the Doctor eventually just gives up and becomes utterly sarcastic with everyone. You can almost see why he ends up regenerating into the boisterous Colin Baker. That’s what makes it so dark and dramatic - what does the Doctor when his usual tricks don’t work.

Also, implied bat milking.

• 2 months later...

Daleks' animation does look laughably bad though. "A bit cheap" is underselling what looks like a first pass previsualisation sequence.

I'll watch it anyway though. I've gone more or less all in on Time Lord Victorious so I'm not going to turn down a free Youtube series. I just hope the story manages to overcome its looks.

Well, that was alright for a ten minute episode. It did look awful, although the Daleks themselves looked okay. Those shots of them flying through the city blowing up random buildings looked particularly bad though, with the low poly explosions.

• 2 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, knightbeat said:

Speaking of which, the TV Century 21 Dalek comic has been reprinted!

And has already sold out. Boo!

Oh bollocks I wanted that for Christmas!

Finally got round to the two Dalek! episodes that have been released so far. I quite like it! Probably enjoy it more if it wasn't part of a massive multimedia crossover, but ho hum. I love seeing the Daleks as protagonists and the spread of characters here is good. The various voices of the Daleks are great fun as well. 

The head looks a bit strange from that angle, but maybe it works better in others. Certainly better than the fat Daleks though.

I think the RTD Daleks were basically definitive though. They were a great modernisation of the original design, and still where my mind goes when I think of Daleks.

Is anyone else reading/watching/listening/err, wearing any Time Lord Victorious stuff by the way? I've read the two comics along with The Knight, The Fool and The Dead novel, I'm watching Daleks! as it comes out and I've finally got around to the Big Finish audios having listened to the Master short trips.

From what I've been through so far it's the novel that stands out. It's only short, and sort of a part one, but it does a great job of capturing the Tenth Doctor with a bit of a darker edge. It's super pulpy of course, as it should be, and the monsters it introduces are genuinely brilliant. I hope they show up in the TV show some time.

It's also the first TLV thing I've read that feels important, in that it's what I assume is the flashpoint for everything else in the "event". The other stuff I've read seemed more like side stories, although I have high hopes for the Big Finish full cast audios.

Yep. That last season did me in, I think. The one before that was shit, but I thought, "eh, it's usually a bit shit, and this was just a bit shitter. Let's see if the next season is less shit."

Oh god.

You know what I never thought I'd miss? Murray Gold's music. As LOUD and STUPID as it could get, there were some cracking themes in there, and he dialled it down when needed. This new music guy has no soul, I swear to god. Bland as fuck.

I think the current title theme is amazing though, but that's the only one that's stood out.

I liked the last season, especially that whole Judoon/mystery Doctor episode, The new Master was ace too, and it even looked pretty great at times. I'm really not sure about the whole Timeless Child thing though. The Doctor doesn't need to be the most important person in the universe, just a traveller helping out where they can, and opening the door to a billion new secret past Doctors is a bit much.

Anyway, I'm still really looking forward to the special. It's been a year after all. :D

I've listened to the first one and a half Eighth Doctor Time Lord Victorious audios now. The first was okay, and it was cool to hear a character from the novel. The second one, "The Enemy of my Enemy" however is brilliant so far, especially after watching Daleks!. :D