IGNORED

Doctor Who

FishyFish

59 minutes ago, FishyFish said:

The opening was cringeworthy though. I really hope that moves might be made to calm the Doctor down somewhat. They're too full of themselves and spouting off about everything being brilliant and exciting all the time and on and on about all the stuff they've done and how they're protector of the human race and on and on and on without pause. Tone it down a bit Doctor Bighead.

The frantic beginning was almost worth it for the gag about the Doctor possibly setting the voice activated handcuffs "when I was Scottish." Although I didn't understand why she'd be put in her own handcuffs...

Was I the only one who thought the big bad crystal head dude (sorry I can never remember characters' names) was played by Paul Bettany until they saw the credits?

6 minutes ago, Darren said:

The frantic beginning was almost worth it for the gag about the Doctor possibly setting the voice activated handcuffs "when I was Scottish." Although I didn't understand why she'd be put in her own handcuffs...

:eyebrows:

6 minutes ago, Darren said:

Was I the only one who thought the big bad crystal head dude (sorry I can never remember characters' names) was played by Paul Bettany until they saw the credits?

No! I thought the same! Who was he, and who was Dogman as I recognised his voice too?

16 minutes ago, Darren said:

I did smile when it turned out that the voice activation had been mis-set as "relief" and not "release" and the cuffs clicked open when they landed on the deus-ex-machina mattress in the TARDIS.

1 hour ago, knightbeat said:

They were at war with the catkind of New Savannah?

Oh yeah, I was hoping there would be a sneaky callback to the cat people from Survival. There's still plenty of time! :lol:

And I watched What We Do in the Shadows afterwards and realised I'd be happy for them to lift some of the werewolf jokes from that too.

I enjoyed this more than I thought I would, it was a refreshing change to the usual set up.

Jodie is still the worst thing in it, but I will be watching the next episode, when I had been seriously considering not bothering with it at all this year.

I hope they slow it down a bit going forward.  Lately it is all just too frantic, with characters constantly  rushing around and shouting at each other non stop.  

I still largely enjoy myself watching it, but it would not hurt at all just to dial it all down a couple of notches.

14 hours ago, Waggo said:

I hope they slow it down a bit going forward.  Lately it is all just too frantic, with characters constantly  rushing around and shouting at each other non stop.  

I still largely enjoy myself watching it, but it would not hurt at all just to dial it all down a couple of notches.

It looks like the next episode is a lot more focused on the one thing. I assume the next few will be like that too. Hopefully. 

Someone has obviously had a strong word with Chibnall. 

I liked this again. Sontarans gotta sontaran 

It was the War games lite. (thank god cos that never ends) 

Do like these new villians as well. And it had the usual shoddy FX I love, to then  some really good stuff too. 

39 minutes ago, cassidy said:

And it had the usual shoddy FX I love, to then  some really good stuff too. 

The battle scene looked laughably bad. I wouldn't be surprised if they made it with a Total War mod or something.

That was okay, but had some really daft stuff in it.

Spoiler

The "they were retreating" thing was done far better in (I think) The Runaway Bride ("Don't you think she looks tired?"). For a start, that time the surprise superweapon was a Death Star style energy cannon built in secret by Torchwood, instead of being a few boxes of dynamite somehow snuck under every Sontaran ship in literally five minutes.

The episode had quite a few plot issues like that. It was otherwise quite fun though, with the Sontarans doing their thing.

52 minutes ago, loathsomeleopard said:

This had some big logical holes, but it also had a lot more time to breathe. Important I think to judge it as part of the whole -- we're only two eps into a six parter, after all. As with last week's ep, my expanded thoughts (and terrible puns) here.

Dan’s Dad and Mam rescuing him with kitchenware and then immediately complaining at him is just so very Liverpool. I mean, sure, it’s shot somewhere in Cardiff again, but it’s nicely done.

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.4318436,-2.9638891,3a,75y,111.75h,89.09t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sTNs60jJiBPW5BJeXuuV6bw!2e0!6shttps:%2F%2Fstreetviewpixels-pa.googleapis.com%2Fv1%2Fthumbnail%3Fpanoid%3DTNs60jJiBPW5BJeXuuV6bw%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D73.17738%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i16384!8i8192

1 hour ago, loathsomeleopard said:

This had some big logical holes, but it also had a lot more time to breathe. Important I think to judge it as part of the whole -- we're only two eps into a six parter, after all. As with last week's ep, my expanded thoughts (and terrible puns) here.

However, it’s again a little too convenient in a way, if only because if the entire Sontaran army goes down for 7.5 minutes every day or so, the Rutans would have abused the HELL out of that eons ago. Why aren’t there sentry guards, or landmines or something?

Because they're all hidden and don't know anyone knows they're there?

1 hour ago, deKay said:

I do know where Liverpool is. Are we certain they filmed there rather than “Cardiff can stand in for anywhere”? (Happy to e corrected if there’s obvious stuff that’s not a background effect, only been to Liverpool once)

6 minutes ago, loathsomeleopard said:

I do know where Liverpool is. Are we certain they filmed there rather than “Cardiff can stand in for anywhere”? (Happy to e corrected if there’s obvious stuff that’s not a background effect, only been to Liverpool once)

Dan's house is literally in that street in real life - same door and number and everything. Many of the places it has been filmed (Albert Dock, Liverpool Museum, Liver Birds) are really there. 

Also:

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/tv/liverpool-locations-you-might-missed-22057336

22 minutes ago, Made of Ghosts said:

Something I didn't understand: Mary Seacole figures out the Sontarans' sleep cycle by observing the one she has in captivity, but later on it's shown that they have to return to their ship to sleep or they die or something?

Maybe the sleep cycle thing is bred into them at a dna level so they have to sleep whether they're plugged into a goo tube or not. That would also explain why they don't have a basic rota system in place.

3 minutes ago, Exidor said:

Maybe the sleep cycle thing is bred into them at a dna level so they have to sleep whether they're plugged into a goo tube or not. That would also explain why they don't have a basic rota system in place.

That and they're canonically a bit dim.

Genuinely surprised how much I enjoyed that. A great episode of Doctor Who. Who is running this show and what have they done with Chris Chibnall?

I want a spin-off series now featuring Temporary Scouse Companion and Rubbish-Looking Dog Thing roaming round the universe bickering with each other.