IGNORED

Doctor Who

FishyFish

10 minutes ago, Garwoofoo said:

Genuinely surprised how much I enjoyed that. A great episode of Doctor Who. Who is running this show and what have they done with Chris Chibnall?

I want a spin-off series now featuring Temporary Scouse Companion and Rubbish-Looking Dog Thing roaming round the universe bickering with each other.

Big Finish will have that for you the moment they get access to the license enabling use of 13.

.... Um... 

Tbh I'm finding Flux a minor bit better than the prior Chibnall stuff but it's pretty rubbish imo. Apart from the pacing oddities it's just the hammy stage type dialogue delivery. 

That plus it just feel like a cbbc sci Fi show.

Plus the bad guys masks are so rubbish. 

It's just so ugh :(

I enjoyed that, although it was a lot to take in at 23:30 at night.

Spoiler

When Jo Martin showed up, my wife reacted with "who's that?", and insisted she'd never seen her before.

She watched the whole last season.<_<

To be fair, she also has no memory of ever watching The Matrix, which we also watched together.

It's the strangest season of Doctor Who I've ever seen.

It borders on hyperactive gibberish. It seems laser-focused on driving away casual viewers. It relies on you having paid close attention to the last season of Doctor Who, and doesn't bother with recaps. It's often incredibly cheap-looking. It's inconsistently plotted (does the Flux destroy planets or simply knock down a few buildings? Both, depending on what the story needs). It all seems like a big excuse for a timeline reset and a clearing of the decks for whatever comes next.

But goddammit I'm more invested in this show right now than at any time in at least the last ten years. For the first time in forever I'm actively looking forward to watching Doctor Who each week. I was completely enthralled during last night's episode. Whatever Chibnall is doing, it is at least different for a show that's become incredibly stale (admittedly largely under his watch!) and he's proved beyond doubt that properly serialised Doctor Who works, and works well.

I'm still concerned, obviously: in previous seasons Chibnall hasn't so much failed to stick the landing as exploded into flames on the runway. But for now, halfway through Flux, I'm completely gripped by a season I nearly skipped entirely. That's quite something.

I watched the first two episodes of this series last night after hearing good things and found it shockingly enjoyable. Nice to see actual threatening villains all over the shop as well, Swarm is genuinely unsettling and they managed to maintain the ridiculousness of the Sontarans while also remembering that they’re horrible violent bastards at the same time. 

What’s frustrating is that this series makes it clear Jodie Whittaker was perfectly capable of being a great Doctor all along and that Chris Chibnall kneecapped her (and himself really) by going with such an overcrowded and boring main cast for so long.

13 hours ago, Flanders said:

I watched the first two episodes of this series last night after hearing good things and found it shockingly enjoyable. Nice to see actual threatening villains all over the shop as well, Swarm is genuinely unsettling and they managed to maintain the ridiculousness of the Sontarans while also remembering that they’re horrible violent bastards at the same time. 

What’s frustrating is that this series makes it clear Jodie Whittaker was perfectly capable of being a great Doctor all along and that Chris Chibnall kneecapped her (and himself really) by going with such an overcrowded and boring main cast for so long.

We really are at the equivalent of the 6th Dr era in nu-who aren’t we?

42 minutes ago, davidcotton said:

We really are at the equivalent of the 6th Dr era in nu-who aren’t we?

It feels to me like Chibnall is trying to do The War Games - a long serialised story that introduces fundamental new back-story to the character of the Doctor and paves the way for a dramatic reboot of the show. Some of the imagery, such as the Sontaran battlefield and the "Dalek sector"/"Cyber sector" are very reminiscent of that story too.

Unfortunately he appears to have landed smack bang in the middle of the McCoy era, with the show making a last-ditch effort to improve after several extremely poor years but getting bogged down in unnecessary complexity and appealing only to existing fans.

At least we know it's not getting cancelled again - yet - but without RTD swooping back in to save the day I think it would have been a certainty.

I don't think McCoy's later seasons were that bogged down in complexity or lore. I mean I watched them when I was 7 and understood them fine. The later stuff is pretty modern feeling modern scripts that focus on Ace and is a direct through line to New Who.

Leave McCoy out of it, he's great.

Well, my son and I have watched the first 3 episodes of this and both think it stinks. He absolutely hates it and has done so since end of the timelss child reveal. 

I think it's terrible, but I don't hate it. It's just confusing and stupid. Remember when they did that thing when all the doctors met up and it was cool. Yeah, well now we get to meet up with a previous doctor that no one knew about and she's a bad ass, with a gun and sass. Because we can now meet loads of doctors because there are loads of previous doctors we knew nothing about. 

But any minute now the doctor will stop running around shouting and waving her lady shaver around and recap the plot to someone and explain the next bit of the plot. Then start running around again before bumping into a famous person from history. 

I think Whittaker is a great actor, and when she's not running around being badly served by the script, she is superb. Too often though, it looks like a school trip to the yorvik viking centre and everyone is hypeed up on a cocktail of amphetamines and high grade sugar. 

45 minutes ago, Sidewaysbob said:

Remember when they did that thing when all the doctors met up and it was cool. Yeah, well now we get to meet up with a previous doctor that no one knew about and she's a bad ass, with a gun and sass.

nomore.jpg

3 hours ago, Pete said:

I stopped watching the Whittaker run after several episodes, can I just go into this latest series cold?

Not this time. As a minimum, you'll need to watch "Fugitive of the Judoon" (series 12 episode 5) that introduces a major character. It's  also useful to watch "Ascension of the Cybermen" (series 12 ep09) and "The Timeless Child" (series 12 ep 10) which introduces new backstory.

Slowly catching up with this. Watched the first episode last night.

First 5 mins, oh no, a wacky situation.

Rest - WTF is going on (in a good way). Relentless and loved the musical score at the end.

Enjoyed it loads. Be nice for it to take a breather for 30 seconds though!

12 minutes ago, Bluejam said:

Slowly catching up with this. Watched the first episode last night.

First 5 mins, oh no, a wacky situation.

Rest - WTF is going on (in a good way). Relentless and loved the musical score at the end.

Enjoyed it loads. Be nice for it to take a breather for 30 seconds though!

Ep2 slowed it down a bit Ep3 much the same as Ep1. It really needs to slow down. 

On 19/11/2021 at 21:54, Exidor said:

nomore.jpg

Ah, yes. This is the episode where Doctor Who experimented with corporate sponsorship:

Companion: 'Ere, doctor. 'Ow do I put up this shelf?

Doctor: I've got something that can do that.

Companion: Wha's dat? I thought the sonic screwdriver couldn't do this type of fing?

Doctor: It's my No More Nails gun. Available from all good retailers for just 19.99 union credits.

I wasn't looking forward to this one. Seemed like it was going to be a bog standard base under siege with an enemy that has long overstayed it's welcome. In fact it was very, very good and added much needed extra depth to the Angels while propelling the plot along at a good clip.

It's obvious that Chibs has decided to go out with a bang and is writing his own Virgin NA epic. I heartly approve of this decision.