IGNORED

Doctor Who

FishyFish

17 minutes ago, Boothjan said:

Going to have to watch this part again - it's not very easy to follow as plots become more and more complicated.

I don't necessarily mean this as a criticism, but this isn't the sort of thing you'd watch as a family with your kids, is it?  Mine would be completely lost by this point.

Surely that's part of its current problems. Dr Who should be a show you watch with your family and kids.

I did as a kid and have been doing so the last few years with my own kids but these episodes are all over the place and I barely have a clue what's going on so when my kids ask questions I'm struggling to answer.

We all just want this lot finished, get the new Dr in place and get on with some fun silly time traveling adventures.

1 minute ago, memories said:

Surely that's part of its current problems. Dr Who should be a show you watch with your family and kids.

I did as a kid and have been doing so the last few years with my own kids but these episodes are all over the place and I barely have a clue what's going on so when my kids ask questions I'm struggling to answer.

We all just want this lot finished, get the new Dr in place and get on with some fun silly time traveling adventures.

I agree - but it's a difficult thing to do Dr Who right.  The science fiction in Flux has been good, but with that comes the risk of it being maybe too wibbly wobbly timey wimey for family viewing.

I'm with you regarding the last sentence - 100%.  

I don't even think the storytelling is necessarily complex, it's more rambling and incoherent and reliant on the final episode somehow tying it all together in a statisfactory manner (spoiler: it won't).

This mini-season is also suffering from one of the worst cases of small universe syndrome I've seen.

The perfect example of timey wimey but coherent storytelling is probably Blink, which told an incredible sci-fi story with non-linear elements but still managed to make you care about brand new characters. All that in the space of 45 minutes as well. I cared more about Sally and Larry after that single episode than I do about any of the characters in Flux.

The whole Division/Timeless Child thing is interesting to me as a Doctor Who fan and I want to find out more, but I don't think its made for a good story.

2 hours ago, Boothjan said:

Going to have to watch this part again - it's not very easy to follow as plots become more and more complicated.

I don't necessarily mean this as a criticism, but this isn't the sort of thing you'd watch as a family with your kids, is it?  Mine would be completely lost by this point.

In the earlier episodes I had a hard time following things as an adult :D they seemed to start things off with multiple threads that you just had to kind of hope would make more sense and gain more relevance as you got more breadcrumbs. Like you, I'm not making a criticism - I shrug and assume the initial bewilderment to be intentional - but sometimes it feels like the writing is torn between making accessible family viewing and satiating social media nerds who want something more crazy.

1 hour ago, Mogster said:

The perfect example of timey wimey but coherent storytelling is probably Blink, which told an incredible sci-fi story with non-linear elements but still managed to make you care about brand new characters. All that in the space of 45 minutes as well. I cared more about Sally and Larry after that single episode than I do about any of the characters in Flux.

And it coined the phrase "wibbly wobbly timey wimey" as a throwaway line.

Ultimately I think it's perfectly possible to do what Chibs is trying to achieve here. I just think it needs a better writer than he's capable of. There's elements that work but ultimately it's a massive and badly plotted mess.

It does still evoke Virgin NA feels for me though so I'm fine with it.

The thing is, as much as I can see the flaws in the execution, I'm finding this a lot more fun to watch than the previous showrunners' attempts at arc stories. RTD made up bad wolf as a tease without having an end goal in mind, so when it came time to resolve it it was a cobbled together load of nonsense, and Moffatt's crack in time or eyepatch woman or pandorica or whatever all seem to have a Silence-like ability to slide out of my brain even while I'm watching them.

Maybe I just like having cliffhangers back.

I still really like this. It’s barking mad and camp as hell and borderline incomprehensible in places and if you think about it too long it makes no sense whatsoever, but it is at least interesting. If Chibnall had come roaring out of the gate with something as bonkers as this three years ago we’d all have been a lot more intrigued. It’s just a shame that literally everyone (including me, admittedly) is expecting him to crash and burn next week. 

On 29/11/2021 at 12:57, Mogster said:

Just watched Blink after I read this post and realised I've never seen the weeping angel origin story. I know it's unfair to compare the current series with an iconic all-time great episode, but the contrast is almost unbelievable. Just night and day.

I'm going to have to revisit all the Tennant/Smith parts I missed out on, aren't I?

7 hours ago, Huz said:

Just watched Blink after I read this post and realised I've never seen the weeping angel origin story. I know it's unfair to compare the current series with an iconic all-time great episode, but the contrast is almost unbelievable. Just night and day.

I'm going to have to revisit all the Tennant/Smith parts I missed out on, aren't I?

Just beware the diminishing returns and you’ll be fine. 

im kinda confused after that really terrible ending.... maybe others can confirm  but

Spoiler

So there was no big time reset on this one all the daleks, cybermen and sontaran's have all been destroyed.  also the flux has destroyed the majority of the universe so there isnt much left apart from earth and a couple of other planets?  which is going to really limit flyboy, preggers and bungle the bears of to explore the universe ending?

What a complete waste of time. Grand Serpent? Pointless. Hidden memories? Pointless. Villains motivations? Pointless. Division? Pointless. It literally didn't advance anything or explain anything.

And what was all that twaddle at the end about no more regenerations?