IGNORED

Doctor Who

FishyFish

Well that was a Chibnall ending and no mistake. Hyperactive nonsense that glossed over all the bits that he couldn't be bothered with and retrospectively fouls up what has been a quite entertaining series up till now.

As @papalazarou points out,

Spoiler

the fact he's wiped out Daleks, Cybermen, Sontaran, Lupari and 99% of the known universe does rather fuck things up going forward. Unless they just ignore that in the next episode of course.

The standout episodes of Flux were clearly the Crimean episode and (especially) the Village of the Angels - I just wish the people in charge of this show would realise that it's better when it slows down a bit and lets the characters shine.

54 minutes ago, Garwoofoo said:

As @papalazarou points out,

Hide contents

the fact he's wiped out Daleks, Cybermen, Sontaran, Lupari and 99% of the known universe does rather fuck things up going forward. Unless they just ignore that in the next episode of course.

You've seen the trailer for the New Years Day episode, I assume?

The more I think about it the more this episode really grates me…

Spoiler

So the doctor from even back in bakers day would never commit genocide even if it was the daleks etc.. (genesis of the daleks, parting of the ways etc…) yet in this episode it’s a 3 for one deal daleks / cybermen/ sontaran she happily let’s get all wiped out with not even a second thought!    

also really what was the point of the grand serpent? 

Yeah I’ve seen the trailer going to love how they explain…

Spoiler

Daleks are back even though they have been wiped out

That was frantic stupid rubbish. It basically threw away everything good that has built up over the previous episodes with no payoff whatsoever. There were only two good things about it: the Sontaran Augustus Gloop, and the fact that the final moment ironically mirrored the first for immediately undermining the thing that only just happened.

Even in the very worst episodes of New Who there’s usually an emotional core to the story within the ridiculous structure built around it (think Fear Her, moon egg, that London forest episode etc) but despite laying the schmaltz on thick this was hollow inside. What did it have to say about anything? It was just a load of stuff that happened. There’s no moral to this story.

9 hours ago, papalazarou said:

Hide contents

So the doctor from even back in bakers day would never commit genocide even if it was the daleks etc.. (genesis of the daleks, parting of the ways etc…) yet in this episode it’s a 3 for one deal daleks / cybermen/ sontaran she happily let’s get all wiped out with not even a second thought!   

Well this has been the problem with 13 since the beginning, hasn't it? It's like Chibnall doesn't understand the character of the Doctor. From suffocating spiders to bravely saving Space Amazon, her approach since the beginning has been wrong. And it's not like they're making a point out of, like with 10's Time Lord Victorious; I'm not sure they even realise how unDoctorish she is at times.

This episode in particular was hugely jarring, it's like Genesis of the Daleks never happened.

So the Flux is a scary destructive force that destroys matter so effectively it can wipe out the universe in a matter of days and the way to stop it is to, erm, to put a bit of matter in front of it. Great writing there Chibnall!

The Spooky Skeleton Squad kidnap Dan's potential love interest and apart from showing her face to him once, do sod all with her. Don't try and coerce him or anything so I guess they just did it for lols. Then she acts pissy to Dan for not turning up on time for their date when she knows damn well he was swept up in all this alien guff against his will, which makes her look an arsehole of the highest degree. I think Chibnall was going for one of those things where Peter Parker saves the city but is unlucky in love because he missed dinner because he was fighting the Lizard or something but can't tell his date, but it just doesn't work at all in this scenario.

And they hit us over the head that the finale of Jodie Whittaker's tenure is likely to be the sodding Master yet again and a bunch of creature costumes that the BBC have their warehouse. I can't wait.

8 hours ago, loathsomeleopard said:

So, so many unanswered questions. As I've done all season long, expanded thoughts to read here, but basically

Reveal hidden contents

That really, really, REALLY did not stick the landing. Some good performances in the moment, but so very many logical missteps or contradictions.

I can answer one for you:

Why don’t the Sontarans shoot the Doctor on sight?

Because they are incapable or hitting *anything* when shooting.

2 hours ago, Harsin said:

So the Flux is a scary destructive force that destroys matter so effectively it can wipe out the universe in a matter of days and the way to stop it is to, erm, to put a bit of matter in front of it.

It was the full universe destroying force until she asked the Ood who now runs Division to temper it a bit. Then it became the thing that would fit inside a passenger.

Fair enough, the whole thing was a massive mess but Chibs did try to make bits of it hang together.

I don't know if this includes iPlayer but oof, no wonder the beeb were so desperate to get RTD back.

The finale of Doctor Who:Flux was watched by 3.58 million viewers, according to overnight figures. A slight drop from episode 5's 3.82 million

It was the day's fifth most watched programme after Strictly (8.21m) , I'm A Celebrity (4.91m), Top Gear (4.20m) and Countryfile (3.74m)

Countryfile handily beating the finale of what used to be the BBC's flagship show.

For comparison viewing figures for the other season finales since the series came back.

spacer.png

Just been having a click through the Ratings Guide mentioned on that image. Sorting by Audience Appreciation (AI) is er... interesting. All episodes of Flux are in the bottom 20 of the post-2005 series, with Chapters Three and One taking the bottom and second-bottom spots, as far as I can see. AI is ordinary punters filling in some kind of survey, not fans.

The methodology must have changed since the classic series, because those are all rated much lower. Kind of a shame they're not comparable.

Overall, Flux has been like a disappointing takeaway.  When you get all excited about a tasty meal and at the end, it just turns out to be a bit bland and you don't think you'd order it from there again.

I think my gut reaction to the ending was 'Oh'.  

It's been quite a confusing series, but when there's little reward (i.e. satisfaction) at the end of it, it's hard not to feel disappointed.

Good job RTD's return is on the horizon because that for me is a reason to be excited about Dr Who again - sadly, the Chibnall era has been a huge let down. 

I can't say I had much in the way of expectations when Chibnall was announced as the showrunner. His earlier episodes weren't exactly spectacular, although I did enjoy 42 quite a bit. I was giving him the benefit of the doubt though, as I was hoping he'd at least be able to produce the show to a more consistent schedule and hopefully be able to curate a great team of other writers.

Oh well.

Can someone explain how

Spoiler

If the Flux has destroyed most of the universe in contemporary Earth times, that there are loads of other Who stories set far in the future that should never have happened because the places and characters in them would have been destroyed already?

I mean, there’s probably some bollox explanation, but there’s a lack of any internal consistency that renders trying to understand anything largely pointless. It’s just a load of yelling overexcited nonsense, running around, waving the magic wand sonic screwdriver about, and then the Doctor suddenly figuring it all out with some deus ex machina gibberish.

I don’t know if this is poorly remembered rose-tinted glasses on my part, but thinking back to something like Horror of Fang Rock or Image of the Fendahl or something and they feel like absolute masterclasses of TV SF when compared with the current over-cooked style over substance stories.

2 TURDISes out of 5 (mainly because the weeping angels episode was pretty good for a while).

33 minutes ago, FishyFish said:

Can someone explain how

Hide contents

If the Flux has destroyed most of the universe in contemporary Earth times, that there are loads of other Who stories set far in the future that should never have happened because the places and characters in them would have been destroyed already?

Timey wimey innit.

Proper answer: 

Spoiler

I saw someone say on Twitter that there was a line when Swarm and Azure take the Doctor to the time place where one of them says they've rewound it all ready to start it going again and torture her with the infinite destruction now that they'd won. Then their boss killed them before they set it going? I don't know, I missed it and I can't be arsed checking on iPlayer so no idea if that's true.

35 minutes ago, FishyFish said:

I don’t know if this is poorly remembered rose-tinted glasses on my part, but thinking back to something like Horror of Fang Rock or Image of the Fendahl or something and they feel like absolute masterclasses of TV SF when compared with the current over-cooked style over substance stories.

Na I've watched both recently and they are TV SF masterpieces compared to the majority of this drivel.  The sonic screwdriver needs to do one, they need to stop being so frantic and allow the the stories time to breath.  Surprisingly the cliffhangers worked for me with Flux, they kept me interested, unfortunately the payoff was utter bollocks.

35 minutes ago, FishyFish said:

After sampling Blink last week, I've gone right back to the start of the RTD era and I'm loving it, by comparison to Flux, so far. I'm only three episodes deep, but just having stories where people talk to each other and reveal their motivations without a ridiculous pile of hyperactive nonsense constantly going on makes a huge difference. :lol:

I'm going to go at this with an episode guide though, so this rewatch will have an unfair advantage. I'm already poised to skip the first RTD story I remember being a bit poo, where aliens invade London.

I've not finished Flux yet, but I'll say it again, Whittaker gas been totally betrayed by utter shit writing. Biggest moment in a long time for the series and it will always be remembered as a shit female doctor for the wrong reasons. 

Great actress, poor support 

7 minutes ago, nakamura said:

Not for the average mug on the high street. Most people don't consider the writing etc on making a tv show. They will see a woman = bad, maybe they would have had that view anyway, but it hasn't helped. 

I've really not seen that view expressed, even on Twitter. I mean there was that Tory MP moaning about the role driving men to commit crimes and all that, but in sane circles I think everyone knows where the fault lies when it comes to bad writing. 

Speaking of Twitter, I was surprised to see Paul Cornell of all people praising this season, along with several people in his replies. He wrote the Human Nature/The Family of Blood two parter for the Tenth Doctor (not to mention the NA it was based on), which was amazing, so you'd think he'd know better.

Utter rubbish. And as with everything Chibnall writes, an unsatisfying riff on other things (in this case the TNG All Good Things finale was obviously a huge inspiration).

Wasn't as bad as I thought it would be but it was utter bilge. Was surprised to see Paul Cornell say he loved it. Strangest thing of the series to me, that.  

31 minutes ago, The Boatman said:

Chris Achilles has died at the age of 74. For a certain generation of fans his cover artwork is unforgettable.

2843DA8A-52A0-4D5C-8412-7B917F652222.jpeg

Aw fucking hell. That is shit news. 

I was lucky enough to visit the Cartoon museum a few years ago when the target book was released and they had the originals there. Fantastic art and a fantastic artist.