IGNORED

Doctor Who

FishyFish

Overall, Flux has been like a disappointing takeaway.  When you get all excited about a tasty meal and at the end, it just turns out to be a bit bland and you don't think you'd order it from there again.

I think my gut reaction to the ending was 'Oh'.  

It's been quite a confusing series, but when there's little reward (i.e. satisfaction) at the end of it, it's hard not to feel disappointed.

Good job RTD's return is on the horizon because that for me is a reason to be excited about Dr Who again - sadly, the Chibnall era has been a huge let down. 

I can't say I had much in the way of expectations when Chibnall was announced as the showrunner. His earlier episodes weren't exactly spectacular, although I did enjoy 42 quite a bit. I was giving him the benefit of the doubt though, as I was hoping he'd at least be able to produce the show to a more consistent schedule and hopefully be able to curate a great team of other writers.

Oh well.

Can someone explain how

Spoiler

If the Flux has destroyed most of the universe in contemporary Earth times, that there are loads of other Who stories set far in the future that should never have happened because the places and characters in them would have been destroyed already?

I mean, there’s probably some bollox explanation, but there’s a lack of any internal consistency that renders trying to understand anything largely pointless. It’s just a load of yelling overexcited nonsense, running around, waving the magic wand sonic screwdriver about, and then the Doctor suddenly figuring it all out with some deus ex machina gibberish.

I don’t know if this is poorly remembered rose-tinted glasses on my part, but thinking back to something like Horror of Fang Rock or Image of the Fendahl or something and they feel like absolute masterclasses of TV SF when compared with the current over-cooked style over substance stories.

2 TURDISes out of 5 (mainly because the weeping angels episode was pretty good for a while).

33 minutes ago, FishyFish said:

Can someone explain how

Hide contents

If the Flux has destroyed most of the universe in contemporary Earth times, that there are loads of other Who stories set far in the future that should never have happened because the places and characters in them would have been destroyed already?

Timey wimey innit.

Proper answer: 

Spoiler

I saw someone say on Twitter that there was a line when Swarm and Azure take the Doctor to the time place where one of them says they've rewound it all ready to start it going again and torture her with the infinite destruction now that they'd won. Then their boss killed them before they set it going? I don't know, I missed it and I can't be arsed checking on iPlayer so no idea if that's true.

35 minutes ago, FishyFish said:

I don’t know if this is poorly remembered rose-tinted glasses on my part, but thinking back to something like Horror of Fang Rock or Image of the Fendahl or something and they feel like absolute masterclasses of TV SF when compared with the current over-cooked style over substance stories.

Na I've watched both recently and they are TV SF masterpieces compared to the majority of this drivel.  The sonic screwdriver needs to do one, they need to stop being so frantic and allow the the stories time to breath.  Surprisingly the cliffhangers worked for me with Flux, they kept me interested, unfortunately the payoff was utter bollocks.

35 minutes ago, FishyFish said:

After sampling Blink last week, I've gone right back to the start of the RTD era and I'm loving it, by comparison to Flux, so far. I'm only three episodes deep, but just having stories where people talk to each other and reveal their motivations without a ridiculous pile of hyperactive nonsense constantly going on makes a huge difference. :lol:

I'm going to go at this with an episode guide though, so this rewatch will have an unfair advantage. I'm already poised to skip the first RTD story I remember being a bit poo, where aliens invade London.

7 minutes ago, nakamura said:

Not for the average mug on the high street. Most people don't consider the writing etc on making a tv show. They will see a woman = bad, maybe they would have had that view anyway, but it hasn't helped. 

I've really not seen that view expressed, even on Twitter. I mean there was that Tory MP moaning about the role driving men to commit crimes and all that, but in sane circles I think everyone knows where the fault lies when it comes to bad writing. 

Speaking of Twitter, I was surprised to see Paul Cornell of all people praising this season, along with several people in his replies. He wrote the Human Nature/The Family of Blood two parter for the Tenth Doctor (not to mention the NA it was based on), which was amazing, so you'd think he'd know better.

Utter rubbish. And as with everything Chibnall writes, an unsatisfying riff on other things (in this case the TNG All Good Things finale was obviously a huge inspiration).

Wasn't as bad as I thought it would be but it was utter bilge. Was surprised to see Paul Cornell say he loved it. Strangest thing of the series to me, that.  

31 minutes ago, The Boatman said:

Chris Achilles has died at the age of 74. For a certain generation of fans his cover artwork is unforgettable.

2843DA8A-52A0-4D5C-8412-7B917F652222.jpeg

Aw fucking hell. That is shit news. 

I was lucky enough to visit the Cartoon museum a few years ago when the target book was released and they had the originals there. Fantastic art and a fantastic artist. 

On 07/12/2021 at 10:56, Garwoofoo said:

I think that's the general consensus though, isn't it? You don't hear much criticism of Whittaker at all really, Chibnall's been the target of all the flak. I think her reputation remains intact.

... I'm ambivilent. I think Chibnall's writing has been SO bad its easy to lay blame there but to me the best actors steal the screen and Whittaker just doesn't do that. Her character seems to be: moves around like a sped up Dave Gahan and pulls Mr Bean faces and whenever a moment has to be delivered it feels very intangible and unexciting. If she had come up against Brenda Blethyn, Miriam Margoyles, Michelle Gomez etc as Dr vs whoever she'd come off incredibly poorly I think. She strikes me as a very good background character who's never communicated the charisma needed to be a show lead imo. That said have skipped a few episodes and might have missed a couple of mind changing moments. I just find her really dull.

And while on triple post duty.... 

One of my questions from Dlux - not a spoiler I don't think - is, is there any reason why the weird pig snout skull dull bad guy with, I suppose at least a nice coat, was called Swarm? In ep 1 I assumed there would be some tie in with the flux - literally a Swarm of particles - but.... Was there ever any link? 

I don't think Whittaker was given much chance to develop her Doctor's character. So much of her run was filled with frantic expositioning, or indeed standing around while being expositioned to. Her Doctor has remained very shallow compared to, well, almost all of her predecessors as a result. 

I hope she ends up doing some Big Finish stuff at some point. They worked wonders with the Sixth Doctor, and I'm sure they'll find a way to make Whittaker's Doctor work.

• 3 weeks later...

Halfway through it at the moment....

So far it's ok.... I'd almost say it's good in fact. Don't believe for a second that Chibnall wrote it.

Loads of logic leaps as normal but even so ... It's not terrible which is a massive surprise. 

6 minutes ago, Sidewaysbob said:

Yeah but, weren't all the darlics destroyed last time? Or are we just ignoring all the flux now? So Yaz can go all doey eyed at the doctor every two minutes. 

I’ve quite involuntarily given up trying to follow the overall story these days. It just doesn’t cross my mind any more what state the universe is in, or if it even exists, at the start of each episode. I’ve already forgotten what happened in the series that finished the other week.

2 minutes ago, AstroBot said:

Has Yaz been doing the doe eyes all the time? 

It's Internet fanfic become Canon. Tbh am 1000% unsurprised but wouldn't say its because of pepper corn character growth. 

Tbh enjoyed the ep far more than I anticipated. I assumed it would be normal Chibnall rubbish with a bit of Aisling Bea being wasted in a role but still worth watching. 

Instead I got (imo) a much better story with fewer of the normal plot holes (still a draft 3 lot of them though. But normally Chibbers throws draft 1 on the table and says 'that's good enough').

I still maintain that someone somewhere did a LOT of uncredited script refinement after he'd said it was done. Nothing prior to this has been remotely as not terrible. 

19 minutes ago, Sidewaysbob said:

Yeah but, weren't all the darlics destroyed last time? Or are we just ignoring all the flux now? So Yaz can go all doey eyed at the doctor every two minutes. 

Yep and it was even the plot point of this episode as to why they were even more pissed off than usual. Which of course means if they were still destroyed in the Flux then most of the universe is still destroyed because Earth was supposed to be it’s last port of call before the Planet Time or whatever bullshit. But apparently there are holiday planets still up and doing business so fuck knows. I suspect we’re putting a lot more thought into it than Chibnall.

Also, even if you assume that all the big alien invasions form the RTD/Moffat era have been retconned away; wasn’t there a big old highly publicised Dalek invasion in last year’s New Year’s special. So shouldn’t Dan and the other two characters know what they look like.

I do wonder if the Yaz/Doctor relationship is being set up this close to a regeneration so RTD can make a statement on gender in relationships with a male actor as the new Doctor?

Anyhoo, I liked it, one of the better (best?) Chibnall-era episodes.

15 hours ago, Sidewaysbob said:

It's mentioned early in the episode that the Darlic fleet was destroyed in the Flux. I guess these were on annual leave at the time.