Doctor Who

FishyFish

If this rumour has legs then I'm certainly more hopeful that RTD can come up with an interesting way to present it than I would be with Chibnal still in charge. RTD doesn't seem the sort to resort to stunt casting to get more viewers.

1 hour ago, Flub said:

If this rumour has legs then I'm certainly more hopeful that RTD can come up with an interesting way to present it than I would be with Chibnal still in charge. RTD doesn't seem the sort to resort to stunt casting to get more viewers.

It's just so backward. It's an admission you've no new ideas, and the show definitely needs freshened up.

Maybe it's a consequence of production issues that take time to sort, particularly with the 60th anniversary looming.

But I really hope it's just distraction.

12 hours ago, Mogster said:

I don't think RTD would want to just retread old ground, so if Tennant is coming back at all I'd expect it to be for a multi-Doctor story or something.

Yeah, Tennant returning for a 60th anniversary special seems more likely than him being the next regeneration.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

That was so so so bad,

Nice surprise in the trailer though

I should probably hide the surprise in a spoiler. I certainly wasn't expecting it

Spoiler

image.png.a4c50539a8562506d403b77080448b9a.png

22 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I'm watching, but I'm not really feeling anything. It's just...happening.

Yeah, exactly. I didn't care about any of it at all. Just a load of people running around and shouting and no actual emotional stakes to any of it whatsoever. A very poor episode indeed.

Spoiler

if that bit in the trailer made you squee then there is  bit in there that  looks like a fully kitted out ace  wielding a dalek kicking hand of omega powered bat to me  

Pitty the trailer was the only half exciting thing about another boring episode - so glad that chibs run is coming to an end.

I feel sorry for Jodie as under another showrunner she could have been fantasic with better writting, but has been bogged down with some of the worst storys and to be honest,apart from grahame some of the dullest companions in a long time.

If the centenary special is anywhere near the quality of this one then... (guest spoilers)

Spoiler

...Janet Fielding is going to have to tone it down a bit in the commentaries from now on.

Was it a covid thing that they shot all the action scenes with only one person on set at a time? 

15 minutes ago, Flams said:

Is Doctor Who back on? 😬

It's one of two specials on this year. 

Though it was not special at all. 

When the best bit is in the trailer for the next episode. Then it speaks volumes. 

I can't wait for Chibnall to go. 

2 hours ago, Garwoofoo said:

Yeah, exactly. I didn't care about any of it at all. Just a load of people running around and shouting and no actual emotional stakes to any of it whatsoever. A very poor episode indeed.

Same here. The Pirate Queen & Sea Devils are a great idea and the visual effects look amazing, but the story itself was very dull. I bet this was originally intended to be a two-parter and had to be scaled back for Covid reasons.

Still, we did get some great shots of the Tardis - the undersea segment is likely to be one of the defining moments of the 13th Doctor's run. John Bishop also continues to be brilliant in every scene he appears.

I thought I'd give this a go because I like the Sea Devils but I only lasted about 10 mins. 

The Sea Devils looked cool but almost everything else about it was complete shit. 

It's not just the terrible writing but the direction, the acting, the music, the visual design, just about everything. 

They really need to rip it up and start again. 

Absolute shit. 

Let's go over here, now here, no over there, explain plot, ignore plot hole now go here, you stay here, don't leave, run over there, they left, escape, cut to new place, don't explain escape, love, now go over there, plot, do you love anyone, explosion, cgi, run around. 

Bollocks, I hated it

Sadly the trailer for the next episode was the best thing about this special. I feel sorry for Jodie Whittaker, she's a good actor but she has been hampered by some awful scripts from Chibnall. 

13 hours ago, knightbeat said:

I bet this was originally intended to be a two-parter and had to be scaled back for Covid reasons.

I also wondered if this had been hit by Covid issues during production. It was bizarrely short for a special (shorter than a regular episode, even) and had really weird pacing. Even by Chibnall's standards there was a lot of shit just chucked in there that made no sense, as @loathsomeleopard points out above. Even the special effects looked ropier than normal. I wondered if they got to the point where they'd filmed just enough to edit it together and then just chucked it out the door and hoped for the best.

Either that or - given that this was apparently filmed at the same time as Flux - they simply ran out of time and/or budget, and this is the one where that showed.

So what's next for Doctor Who? A regeneration special at the end of the year then nothing until RTD returns for the 60th in November 2023?

5 hours ago, JamesC said:

The Sea Devils looked cool

My 10yr old gave them a thumbs down.  "They look ok but their mouths don't move properly when they talk. Can we watch something else?"