IGNORED

Doctor Who

FishyFish

Am I right in saying the Tardis is actually a living being with a heart? It does get bloody confusing reading about it. Some say that, but then that it's powered by a captured black hole stored in the cloisters.

And yes, an episode based entirely inside the Tardis would be amazing. I'd love to see more of it.

No its not. Geez DSD get over your prejudice we've told you before, those fans write the show now. I guess their making shit up too. Doctor Who is all about making shit up isnt it?

I can see that but I can understand where DSD is coming from. With the TV show there is the feeling that someone (probably RTD) is filtering everything through a consistent vision. That may well be true of the books too but its harder to imagine that happening when the TV show was off the air. How did it work? Is there a Doctor Who central comittee or master-brain or were the writers totally free to invent anything they liked?

I'VE GOT TUBGIRL!!!

You get the correct pics because you've got them cached from when you visited the site.

I didn't visit the site.

I don't understand. Why were people seeing Tubgirl? I've just came back and had PMs etc asking me to edit the posts, but it's clearly been done already. Well, I say 'edit', they've actually been completely deleted.

I can see that but I can understand where DSD is coming from. With the TV show there is the feeling that someone (probably RTD) is filtering everything through a consistent vision. That may well be true of the books too but its harder to imagine that happening when the TV show was off the air. How did it work? Is there a Doctor Who central comittee or master-brain or were the writers totally free to invent anything they liked?

Pretty much a central committee, they would one or 2 editors responsible for story arcs and overall themes of the books. So there would be a consistent vision.

Peter Darvill Evans initially with the NA's, then it was Simon Winstone and Rebecca Levene(both involved with the TV series now)

With the BBC books it was Stephen Cole and then it was Justin Richards, who still commissions and edit's the 9th and 10th Doc books.

In answer to Jeebus, its a living thing grown on Gallifrey. Hence the Timelords ability to eventually crossbreed them with humans. That was a last ditch effort on their part though with them being involved in a Time War.

I too would love to see more of the TARDIS, in particular the Butterfly room linkster mentioned and the Library.

In answer to Jeebus, its a living thing grown on Gallifrey. Hence the Timelords ability to eventually crossbreed them with humans. That was a last ditch effort on their part though with them being involved in a Time War.

So what happened?

So what happened?

The Time War and Faction Paradox got retconned out of existence in a book called The Ancestor Cell

:angry: The instigator of the time war and creator of Faction Paradox ignored the retcon and spun it off into his own range but thats now finished too, and after some pretty bloody marvellous books too.

http://www.madnorwegian.com/fp/fp_novels.php

In answer to Sprite machine, Delorean.jpg :(

Yeah, they just give off a "not canon" vibe. I'm really very fussy about that sort of thing, I can't explain why. It's a bit like those mini vehicle Star Wars toys, they were never any good, because they weren't in the films dammit!

Fair enough. I just like interesting ideas, that's why the show appealed to me in the first place (it's about the earlest TV memory I have). The current show really isn't doing that for me, I'm enjoying the books a lot more. (well, not the one I'm on now, I hated it from pretty much the first paragraph. Soldier on...)

I'm enjoying the books a lot more. (well, not the one I'm on now, I hated it from pretty much the first paragraph. Soldier on...)

Which one? Is it Beltempest? As you have quite an average run of books upto Unnatural History? Unless you have The Infinity Doctors? That one can be read anytime btw.

Which one? Is it Beltempest? As you have quite an average run of books upto Unnatural History? Unless you have The Infinity Doctors? That one can be read anytime btw.

Yeah, Beltempest. He's got the Doctor all wrong so far, he's more like the fourth.

More than Alien Bodies? Fiddlesticks and Fapplegarp. Stopped me reading Who fiction for over 2 years that did(Think I've mentioned that in the past)

wowser. blew me away.

Alien Bodies was OK, I'l be reading it again when its time comes.

With four episodes to go, this is how Series Three is shaping up: -

Smith & Jones – 8.71 million

The Shakespeare Code – 7.23 million

Gridlock – 8.41 million

Daleks in Manhattan – 6.69 million

Evolution of the Daleks – 6.97 million

The Lazarus Experiment – 7.19 million

42 – 7.41 million

Human Nature (Overnight Figure) – 7.10 million

Series Three Average (at this stage) 7.46 million

Compared with the two previous series at this stage: -

Rose – 10.81 million

The End of the World – 7.97 million

The Unquiet Dead – 8.86 million

Aliens of London – 7.63 million

World War Three – 7.98 million

Dalek – 8.63 million

The Long Game – 8.01 million

Father’s Day – 8.06 million

Series One Average (at this stage) - 8.49 million

New Earth – 8.62 million

Tooth and Claw – 9.24 million

School Reunion – 8.31 million

The Girl in the Fireplace – 7.90 million

Rise of the Cybermen – 9.22 million

The Age of Steel – 7.63 million

The Idiot's Lantern – 6.76 million

The Impossible Planet – 6.32 million

Series Two Average (at this stage) - 8.00 million

Series One was massively boosted by Rose hitting 10 million - the only time the series has drawn such a large crowd since it returned, though this was always likely after such a gap away from our screens. If you discount Rose and use episode #9 instead (The Empty Child), the series average is 8.03 million.

So what happend with the Daleks two-parter? There must have been something else pretty big on the telly on those nights that drew the crowds away - I would have thought that Radio Times cover alone would have at least given the audience figures for Daleks in Manhattan a boost... ;)

Nothing on the telly. Both were still easily the most watched shows on Saturday night.

It was the hot weather. Figures for all shows on those two saturdays were down, pretty much across the board, as I understand.

Martha's blog makes very interesting reading this week. Doctor Who does Eurovision! : -

He's lying outside the TARDIS and he's breathing but he's not the Doctor any more. And I'm scared because of what he's done to himself so I'm writing this in case something happens.

It all started after we left the Torajii system. Well I say it all started, it never actually stopped. We just went to so many places and got caught up in so many things. We met shape-changing aliens and people who weren't real and creatures everyone thought were extinct. We went back in time and forward in time and just... it never stopped! So, then we found ourselves back in the TARDIS and the Doctor asked me where I wanted to go next. And I said that I'd like to go somewhere where we could just sit and chat, you know. Like normal people do! So I figured he'd take me to Starbucks or something. But, yeah, this is the Doctor we're talking about...

He took me to this place called the Eye of Orion. It was beautiful. So calm and still and alien but not in a bad way. . He told me that, back in the old days, the Eye of Orion used to be sort of like a holiday resort. But now it's this shrine to the Time War. It was all ruins and grass and mist and just so quiet. We went to a meadow and standing in it was this stone that was about the same height as me. He said it was a war memorial. I asked him why there weren't any names on it and he said it was because too many people had died. I took his hand and we sat down. And we sat there, huddled under a blanket, drinking tea from an old thermos.

And he told me about the Time War. It reminded me of when I was a kid and Granddad told me about what he did during World War Two. It was this huge, big, incomprehensible historical thing that we learnt about at school but for the people who were there, it was their life. It wasn't something they learnt about or knew what had caused it or anything. One minute they were living their lives as normal, the next they were having to kill people and be killed and fight and... I remember my Granddad crying.

The Doctor didn't cry. He just looked so lost and sad. He told me about what happened at Arcadia and he told me about the friends he'd lost. The Time War was just inconceivably big and as he told me about it, I thought how strange it was that us lot on Earth hadn't known about it. And then I realised that it wasn't the first time a war had been going on in my lifetime which I'd not really noticed. And I felt pretty selfish. I've been so worried about my career and about keeping mum away from Annalise and whether I can afford a new jacket and so many other little stupid things when really I should be thanking people like Granddad and the Doctor for just giving me the chance to live.

After a while, he went silent and we just held hands and sat there. And it was perfect. Then he jumped up, looked down at me and said that it was time to have some fun! 'Less angst, more fun!' were his words.

And he took me to Helsinki. To last year's Eurovision contest! I was slightly concerned that he genuinely seemed to enjoy the music and he was embarrassingly excited about the Slovenian entry who had lights on her hand, but it was a brilliant night. We had such a laugh, and I tell you something, he's not a bad mover! We both agreed there was something pretty cool about how only a few years before all these countries had been at war and now they're sending camp men dressed in foil to sing bad songs at some concert.

Anyway, we didn't stay for the results because we both already knew who won - sorry Scooch, that's time travel, you know what's coming. So we left the arena and we were just returning to the TARDIS when we saw this green light glowing from around the corner – and we could hear the sound of someone sniffing! I just assumed it was part of the celebrations but the Doctor went to check anyway. And within seconds, he was bombing back round the corner with his hands over his face. Followed, naturally, by laser fire. He pushed me into the TARDIS and ran in after me, shutting the doors. I asked him what was going on and he told me about this hunting family or something. He'd recognised them cos of the green stuff and the sniffing - but, luckily, they hadn't seen his face, or mine, which meant we had a chance. Problem is they'd be able to trace him because he's the only Time Lord that's left. So, he told me that the only way he could escape from them was to stop being a Time Lord and become human. And that's what he's done. Just like that.

And it all feels like it's happened so quickly. I'm about to leave the TARDIS now. We're in 1913 where he reckons we should be safe. I've got to drag him out to a field and when he wakes up, I've got to say he was in an accident and that we're on our way to his new job. As for me, I've got to be Martha the ever-so-humble maid. A while back, if he'd suggested that I'd have told him where to get off but after everything he's been through? After everything he's done for the rest of us? No, I'll be fine. Yeah, I'll be fine.

Wish me luck.

http://www.myspace.com/marthajonesuk

What does the TARDIS look like in its natural state, assuming it has one?

Who knows? In The Gallifrey Chronicles, it's suggested that the Tardis is actually "effectively infinite" in size, and always growing.