Doctor Who

FishyFish

Who ( no pun intended ) owns Dr Who?

the BBC or Russell

I think its the BBC :lol:

Honestly though can you see them cancelling a show which wins Saturday nights every week. Cancelling a show that has returned family viewing to British audiences. Nope me either. I just hope when RTD does leave, which I do think will be at the end of S4, then Steven Moffatt is asked/nay ordered to take over.

S4 writers announced today in DWM

RTD - 4 episodes and Xmas Special

Gareth Roberts (Shakespeare Code) 1 episode

Steven Moffatt (Empty Child/Girl in the Fireplace and Blink) 2 episodes - WOO HOO

Tom Macrae (S2 Cybermen eps) 1 episode Ah well you cant have it all, I'd prefer none

Stephen Greenhorn (Lazarus Experiment) 1 episode

Helen Raynor (Daleks in Manhatten) 2 episodes, I did like her Torchwood stuff

2 Newbies to Doctor Who as well

James Moran - Co writer of Severance and has apparantly written a great ep for Torchwood S2

Keith Temple - Nothing but Casualty and Byker Grove and some drama called Angel Cake

No Paul Cornell for S4 :( But thats down to him working on Primeval S2 and also taking over as lead writer on Excalibur for Marvel.

No Paul Cornell for S4 ;) But thats down to him working on Primeval S2 and also taking over as lead writer on Excalibur for Marvel.

This is actually good news, I thought Primeval was excellent. Martha's Blog certainly feels like it was written by him as well.

This is actually good news, I thought Primeval was excellent. Martha's Blog certainly feels like it was written by him as well.

Good news for Primeval, I think another Cornell for S4 would be wonderful, especially considering the reception Human Nature has had.

I'm still holding out hope for a reworking of Love and War.

Doctor Who is now into Eurovision? That's taking the new campness levels into unchartered territory!

Doctor Who has pretty much always been the gayest show on TV. It surprises me that this is news to people now. Why the hell do you think a team of gay writers and producers were so keen to bring it back?

I really enjoyed this weeks one much more so than the others in the series so far. I even had a wee jump when the scarecrows appeared at a window during the village hall scene. ;) Hope that part two is as good.

Oh and mini-story from media guardian:

http://media.guardian.co.uk/broadcast/stor...2092376,00.html

Doctor Who boss may regenerate

Ben Dowell

Thursday May 31, 2007

MediaGuardian.co.uk

The BBC has insisted that the future of Doctor Who's executive producer, Russell T Davies, "has not yet been decided" in spite of reports today that he will quit the hit show after the next series.

A BBC drama spokeswoman said that Mr Davies has signed up to oversee this year's Doctor Who Christmas special and 2008's fourth series.

However, she added that his involvement with Doctor Who after that has not been confirmed.

"Discussions have not begun so we cannot say if Russell will be involved or not," she said.

A senior BBC Wales drama source told MediaGuardian.co.uk that Mr Davies may be preparing to leave the show.

"Russell has always said that he wouldn't be with the show forever and he has made no secret that the hours are quite exhausting," the insider said.

"But there isn't any way it would be axed even if he left. He loves the show and he does feel that maybe it would benefit from some new blood."

Today's Sun claimed that the show will be axed after the fourth series because of the decision by Mr Davies to quit as executive producer.

The Sun reported that Mr Davies and "senior staff have hatched a plot to hand in a group resignation in summer 2008 and that the show will end after series four".

It quoted a "source" who said that Mr Davies had become fed up over an exhausting workload of 16-hour days nine months a year.

Mr Davies has been the creative driving force behind the Doctor Who revival, which has been a resounding critical and ratings success, and his departure would be a blow for the BBC.

As executive producer he has taken on a "show runner" role, overseeing all creative aspects of the drama and in particular leading the team of Doctor Who writers, as well as scripting individual episodes himself.

The showrunner role is common on long running US TV drama and comedy series, but not often seen in the UK.

However, if Mr Davies does leave Doctor Who, the BBC will want to keep such a popular show going by bringing in a new executive producer to take over his creative responsibilities.

Who ( no pun intended ) owns Dr Who?

the BBC or Russell

Well that's not as straight forward as I initially thought goatie.

Did you all know about this company owned by Phil Collinson, Andy Pryor and RTD - DW Productions Ltd? Made a turnover of 2.8 million last year . . . and indicates that New Who is part owned by these three people alongside the BBC. So if RTD and co left, they would have control over its future . . .

This company was setup in 2004. I have a feeling it was some sort of Golden handshake to get and keep RTD aboard.

Checking IMDB for Jessica Hynes(Stevenson) Its clear that this production company are involved in New Who. As they get a credited as the production company.

Very interesting I think

Well that's not as straight forward as I initially thought goatie.

Did you all know about this company owned by Phil Collinson, Andy Pryor and RTD - DW Productions Ltd? Made a turnover of 2.8 million last year . . . and indicates that New Who is part owned by these three people alongside the BBC. So if RTD and co left, they would have control over its future . . .

This company was setup in 2004. I have a feeling it was some sort of Golden handshake to get and keep RTD aboard.

Checking IMDB for Jessica Hynes(Stevenson) Its clear that this production company are involved in New Who. As they get a credited as the production company.

Turns out things are not as straight forward as I thought.

I know nothing about this but if it was a situation like, say, 'The Bill' made by Thames for ITV, wouldn't it say 'A DW production for the BBC' at the end of the credits? The fact it says BBC Cardiff tends to suggests it's wholly owned by the BBC. They may have come to some arrangment in the background to pay RTD some of the dosh but it's stll the BBC's property. Maybe.

I really can't see the BBC, in negotiations to bring back Dr Who a few years ago, signing away all the rights like Fox did with George Lucas and Star Wars. What the BBC will lose, if and when RTD quits, is the ideas and production nouse but not the rights to make more Doctor Who. They wouldn't be that daft, would they?

I know nothing about this but it if was a situation like, say, 'The Bill' made by Thames for ITV, wouldn't it say 'A DW production for the BBC' at the end of the credits? The fact it says BBC Cardiff tends to suggests it's wholly owned by the BBC. They may have come to some arrangment in the background to pay RTD some of the dosh but it's stll the BBC's property. Maybe.

I really can't see the BBC, in negotiations to bring back Dr Who a few years ago, signing away all the rights like Fox did with George Lucas and Star Wars. What the BBC will lose, if and when RTD quits, is the ideas and production nouse but not the rights to make more Doctor Who. They wouldn't be that daft, would they?

This is the same BBC that had to be told that it could go ahead with the new series because their film division wasnt making the Who movie anymore and the rights had expired. So I wouldnt count on it.

I've noticed DW productions has never been credited but the company exists and I personally think it means RTD and the others have a say in the show going forward. Anyway the BBC drama spokeswoman in the Media guardian rebuttal is obviously Julie Gardner in disguise and I just think RTD will let Moffatt take over as Show runner and possibly script a few episodes.

I've never really understood this idea. What on Earth was so gay about it? You might as well say Star Wars or Star Trek are gay. Geeky, sure, but gay? Just because it emerges that a gay writer has a particular penchant for a certain programme does not mean that the programme must forever shelter under a big rainbow coloured umbrella. Someone please feel free to explain whatever it is I'm missing here.

I wasn't being entirely serious, you know.

I've never really understood this idea. What on Earth was so gay about it? You might as well say Star Wars or Star Trek are gay. Geeky, sure, but gay? Just because it emerges that a gay writer has a particular penchant for a certain programme does not mean that the programme must forever shelter under a big rainbow coloured umbrella. Someone please feel free to explain whatever it is I'm missing here.

I wasn't being entirely serious, you know.

No I know, it's just that quite a few people have said something similar. I even tried buying a few classic episodes on video on eBay a few months ago and the seller had written **GAY INTEREST** in the titles! I just don't know where the link comes from, that's all...

There's a pretty strong link between gay men and Sci-Fi in general, but with Doctor Who even more so. A lot of gay men like Doctor Who in my experience. Who knows why - could well just be a coincidence. But yes, anyway. A lot of gay men like Eurovision too, so 'Martha' is catering to her audience there, heh.

No I know, it's just that quite a few people have said something similar. I even tried buying a few classic episodes on video on eBay a few months ago and the seller had written **GAY INTEREST** in the titles! I just don't know where the link comes from, that's all...

That is hilarious.

Queer as Folk, probably. Vince had quite an 'interest' in Jon Pertwee.

What did I tell you all about the Sun? Clearly the BBC would want to axe their biggest rated show and highest earning merchandising money spinner... Its perfect business sense.

They could be considering a small break? Say 12 months to build up another team of writers/ producers etc etc. If Tennant was to leave it would be the perfect ending before a break, his death and the clifhangar of who he would come back as.

Wouldn't be the first time there was a long break between regenerations. The period was something like nine months between Tom Bakers last (Logopolis) and Peter Davisons first (Castrovalva).

Just flipped on sky news active and the story about the possible axing is on the spotlight bit.