Doctor Who

FishyFish

But... but... really? Is there? Since when? Barbara Streisand, sure; The Wizard of Oz, absolutely; but science fiction? It just doesn't spell gay to me at all. If anything, I'd generalise science fiction enthusiasts (if I absolutely had to) as being completely asexual rather than rampantly hetero or homosexual. I'd have thought ultra geeky sci-fi fanatics would fantasise about the sex they were never likely to experience as being a bit like that scene in the swimming pool in Cocoon, rather then getting rodgered in the bottom by a wiggly War of the Worlds tentacle.

I'm not saying all Science Fiction fans are gay.

I'm saying there are a lot of gay Science Fiction fans, and Doctor Who has a pretty huge gay following. This isn't a debate. You can leave your gay cliches at the door, thanks. Fucking Barbara fucking Streisand.

I love this thread. Can't really see the idea that Davies production company would somehow manage to buy more than a fingernail of the Doctor Who IP. It's much bigger than that.

I'd have gone along with the idea of a break to put together a new team if it wasn't for the fact that this third series is pissing all over the last one and it's been put together after three years of outrageous deadlines. If the new boss (Please be Paul Abbott, please be Paul Abbott, please be Paul Abbott...) isn't able to keep up the pace then they're screwed before they start, basically.

Anyone hear Freeya on Five Live last night? Quite mumsy.

...besides all which I thought Little Britain was acknowledged as the gayest show full stop. Not that I know one way or the other (can't stand it, don't watch it, find it utterly unfunny).

Anyhow Who, to me, shouldn't be about sex in any way shape or form and that is one of the reasons why the Martha character storyline has been a bit of a washout to me (although I still haven't had the chance to watch this weeks ep yet and wifey said it handled things pretty well so I'm interested to see where it goes). It's gone from being Martha's thrill of the adventure to the hope of a quick snog.

I don't think Dr Who should be sexualised one way or the other and the whole gay quote quota just seems to cheapen it imo (which I know if not everyone's opinion but hey, I am allowed an opinion and some people seemingly like things like tubgirl even) selling Dr Who on the sex angle takes it way away from what I want it to be which is more of a family aimed show that adults can appreciate as well.

Oh come on. So I made a wisecrack about Barbara Streisand and The Wizard of Oz being widely acknowledged as 'gay' - well cock-a-doodle-doo Neil. Just because I'm not gay, you're effectively saying I'm out of order doing that, whilst at the same time it's perfectly okay for you to do precisely the same thing by hailing Doctor Who 'the gayest show on TV'? What a lot of bollocks. How

Not out of order.

Just a crap cliche which has no real basis in reality. Calm down, like.

There's a pretty strong link between gay men and Sci-Fi in general, but with Doctor Who even more so.

Sorry, but thats shit. If you said "There's a pretty strong link between sci-fi and geeks who still live at home with their parents" then I'd be agreeing with you. Or "There's a pretty strong link between sci-fi and people who don't wash that often".

Sorry, but thats shit. If you said "There's a pretty strong link between sci-fi and geeks who still live at home with their parents" then I'd be agreeing with you. Or "There's a pretty strong link between sci-fi and people who don't wash that often".

Thats a load of bollocks too though.

Whilst I dont agree with Keith about sci-fi and homosexuality it certainly is true that Doctor Who has a huge gay following. More so than any other genre show.

For example I go for a piss up with a load of Who fans once a month in Cardiff. Last count, 5 of us are straight and the other 15 are gay.

Thats a load of bollocks too though.

Exactly - it's the cliche of sci-fi fans. Sure, there's some of them who are gay, geeky or still virgins at 39 but sci-fi fans come from all walks of life.

Just out of curiosity, what's the gay appeal to Doctor Who? It's not like Tennant is a gay icon defeating daleks in leather chaps with the bum cut out.

Just out of curiosity, what's the gay appeal to Doctor Who? It's not like Tennant is a gay icon defeating daleks in leather chaps with the bum cut out.

Maybe it's just that he's a hero who isn't a rampant heterosexual. His relationships with women are on a different level which is quite unusual in fiction. Gay men are far more likely to have proper female friends than straight men.

Maybe there isn't any logical reason. There are lots of 'scenes' which bundle up a whole lot of stuff. Why is a particular hair style associated with a particular style of music?

Generalising terribly here. But I'd imagine that most Sci-fi shows tendency to portray more enlightened characters and progressive societies where being different doesn't equate to being "bad" is an appeal to people with alternative lifestyles.

For example I go for a piss up with a load of Who fans once a month in Cardiff. Last count, 5 of us are straight and the other 15 are gay.

:( Sounds more like like a connection between Wales and homosexuality to me...

Little_051031092813208_wideweb__300x375.jpg

I'm calling bollocks the the gay / sf connection too. It's not something I've particularly noticed. Most gay men I've known tend to be gregarious, outgoing, sociable, fashionable types, and would more likely pity someone into geeky stuff. The complete opposite of the quiet, introverted, staying-in type sf fan I've known.

:( Sounds more like like a connection between Wales and homosexuality to me...

Little_051031092813208_wideweb__300x375.jpg

I'm calling bollocks the the gay / sf connection too. It's not something I've particularly noticed. Most gay men I've known tend to be gregarious, outgoing, sociable, fashionable types, and would more likely pity someone into geeky stuff. The complete opposite of the quiet, introverted, staying-in type sf fan I've known.

Well I have to say without Doctor Who I wouldnt have met these guys who I now class as my best friends, in fact myself and the missus tend to go out a couple of times a month with them now. We have a brilliant time. Although I wasnt happy the first time I got called a fruit fly :)

As for the Pic you posted I dont recall allowing that snap to be taken :(

I'm about to embarass myself in front of proper Dr Who nerds, but I think I've some Dr Who trivia stored in my brain since "my" era of Dr Who which might help here. No idea if its correct or not. I'm not even going to fact check on the internet.

Must be the Alzhiemers kicking in - it always seemed to me Tom Baker never had control of the Tardis

Tom had a randomizer chip installed in the TARDIS when he was being pursued by the Black Guardian for the Key to Time. He figured that if he didn't know where he was going then the Black Guardian wouldn't either

Hands up who wants to see The Doctor have it out with some creeping intruder in the Cloister Room?! :(

The Cloister Room was ejected (with a lot of the rest of the TARDIS) in Castrovalva.

I'm about to embarass myself in front of proper Dr Who nerds, but I think I've some Dr Who trivia stored in my brain since "my" era of Dr Who which might help here. No idea if its correct or not. I'm not even going to fact check on the internet.

Tom had a randomizer chip installed in the TARDIS when he was being pursued by the Black Guardian for the Key to Time. He figured that if he didn't know where he was going then the Black Guardian wouldn't either

The Cloister Room was ejected (with a lot of the rest of the TARDIS) in Castrovalva.

your only embarrasing yourself because you know as much as us. :(

The swimming pool went in Castrovalva as well.

I'm sure there are a lot of unwashed Sci-Fi fans. There are a fair few gay ones too - and a huge amount who love Doctor Who. You can call shit all you like - I know what I know. I think some people think that because I'm saying lots of gay men like Doctor Who, that I'm calling them gay too. I'm not. Lots of families love Doctor Who - indeed, the main reason why it pulls in 6-8 million every week is because it appeals to a huge range of people.

But, as cassidy points out, Doctor Who has a large gay following. Not sure what the problem with that is.

Big shock Ste - some outgoing and sociable types also like a bit of Sci-Fi on the sly.

You know me, at least in a forum sense. I'm gay. I go out. I also like Doctor Who. So doesn't that mean your whole theory comes crashing down to the floor, leaving your entire belief system in tatters? :(

. I think some people think that because I'm saying lots of gay men like Doctor Who, that I'm calling them gay too.

Don't be daft.

I think you're being a bit defensive here.

Ste was disuputing a general link between being gay and liking sci-fi. Nothing more. Of course there are plenty of gay and straight people that like Sci-Fi.

Don't be daft.

I think you're being a bit defensive here.

Me being defensive? I don't know John - I made a suggestion that Doctor Who has a pretty big fanbase, which it does, and suddenly there's a torrent of posts claiming that I'm talking rubbish and it can't possibly be true. Not sure why people have such trouble believing me - maybe it's because they don't want to, because they think their passtime is also the passtime of many a poofter. Who knows? Maybe you're right.

What you're replying to there wasn't my reply to Ste, mind.

Me being defensive? I don't know John - I made a suggestion that Doctor Who has a pretty big fanbase, which it does, and suddenly there's a torrent of posts claiming that I'm talking rubbish and it can't possibly be true.

It wasn't the Doctor who comment it was this

There's a pretty strong link between gay men and Sci-Fi in general

I'm more inclined to believe the Doctor Who thing than the link to Sci Fi in general. But I've nothing to back that up with.

Reminds of going to see 'Touch of Evil' at the Manchester cornerhouse a few years ago to find the cinema was pretty much entirely filled with lesbians. Turns out they came to cheer a brief scene featuring a female 'biker'\hoodlum type. And cheer they did.

Reminds of going to see 'Touch of Evil' at the Manchester cornerhouse a few years ago to find the cinema was pretty much entirely filled with lesbians. Turns out they came to cheer a brief scene featuring a female 'biker'\hoodlum type. And cheer they did.

What a bunch of losers.

On the current talking point, like I've said previously, I've not been too taken with Who this year so I guess that means I still like boobs. PHEW!

I'm more inclined to believe the Doctor Who thing than the link to Sci Fi in general. But I've nothing to back that up with.

Fair enough. Just my experience - that's all I'm going on.

Know a fair number of gay Trek fans, too. Nutters.

Big shock Ste - some outgoing and sociable types also like a bit of Sci-Fi on the sly.

You know me, at least in a forum sense. I'm gay. I go out. I also like Doctor Who. So doesn't that mean your whole theory comes crashing down to the floor, leaving your entire belief system in tatters? :(

I don't really have a theory, as such, I'm just disputing yours. Of course all sorts of people like sf, and all sorts of people are gay, and of course there's a cross over.

What I'm not at all convinced about is your suggestion that there is any kind of gay / sf connection. My experience would suggest that its unlikely that within the set of people who are gay a higher proportion of them are likely to be into sf than in the population in general, or within the set of people who are into sf a higher proportion of them are likely to be gay than in the population in general. I would expect the opposite to be more likely to be true.

But talking about averages in this way doesn't imply anything about individuals.

Maybe RTD has made is fashionable for gay people to be into Dr Who? (ducks)

Maybe RTD has made is fashionable for gay people to be into Dr Who? (ducks)

Sadly you cant blame that one on him, the gayers were interested in Who, before he became involved :( :(

Xena has lots of Lesbian fans for some reason.