IGNORED

Doctor Who

FishyFish

Maybe RTD has made is fashionable for gay people to be into Dr Who? (ducks)

No, no, no. If anything, Doctor Who had a larger gay fanbase before it came back.

I really am surprised this is news to people. I thought it was common knowledge that Who had a large gay following. Like ABBA, Eurovision or quiches.

Definitely news to me, but like John says above, it's maybe believable about Dr Who, but not sf in general.

Heh. It's not like the Earth being flat, or the Sun orbiting around the Earth you know. It's not some mad theory that needs approval - it's just one of those things. Lots of gay men seem to like Sci-Fi. I'm not saying why - who even cares why. :unsure:

It's not some mad theory that needs approval - it's just one of those things. Lots of gay men seem to like Sci-Fi. I'm not saying why - who even cares why. :unsure:

That's not quite the same thing. There are lots of gay men, therefore lots of gay men like lots of things.

You seemed to be saying that there was some kind of gay / sf connection - that gay men are more likely to like sf than non gay men. I think that *is* a bit of a mad theory, or one which is worth examining, as it's not exactly common knowledge / a familiar cliche.

If that's not what you're saying, then ignore me.

Right, enough about that. We're just back from the Doctor Who exhibition in Manchester. Was it worth the 4-hour round trip from Nottingham? Possibly not, but then again, the kids unanimously said it was. But they did sleep most of the way so what do they know. Anyway, here's daughter no. 2 fending off a Dalek:

IMG_1157.jpg

And here's daughter no. 1 operating another Dalek:

IMG_1158.jpg

And here's the whole gang with their new friend Boe:

IMG_1154.jpg

Yeah, it was worth it.

You seemed to be saying that there was some kind of gay / sf connection - that gay men are more likely to like sf than non gay men.

That's completely not what I was saying.

I was saying a lot of gay men like Science Fiction. Didn't make any comparison to straight men. That's popped out of your own head, fella. :unsure:

We're just back from the Doctor Who exhibition in Manchester. Was it worth the 4-hour round trip from Nottingham? Possibly not, but then again, the kids unanimously said it was.

Whereabouts in Manc is it?

I went to the Blackpool one last year - £7 - and it was utter shite.

That's completely not what I was saying.

I was saying a lot of gay men like Science Fiction.

But that's just...crazy talk.

A lot of men like science fiction. Full stop. What's gay got to do with it?

Oh, you gays!

No, no, no. If anything, Doctor Who had a larger gay fanbase before it came back.

I really am surprised this is news to people. I thought it was common knowledge that Who had a large gay following. Like ABBA, Eurovision or quiches.

I Like Dr Who, Abba, Eurovision and a nice bacon quiche. I'm in denial, aren't I?

I'll get me lube......

The bottom line (no pun intended) is that your average viewer of Doctor Who doesn't seem to think there's anything remotely gay about the programme...

Are you kidding me? Did you miss the fracas that kicked off because there were two old lesbians in Gridlock? :rolleyes:

all from Blackpool Doctor Who exhibit, mostly classic era stuff

I thought that was pretty shite, myself. Apart from the video replaying all the regenerations. Not worth £7.

Shall we all move on from the whole Doctor Who / science fiction / gay episode now? The bottom line (no pun intended) is that your average viewer of Doctor Who doesn't seem to think there's anything remotely gay about the programme (nor has there ever been), whereas the gay community seem to think it's consistently been the gayest programme on television since 1963. As is so often exclaimed in situations like this, each to their own.

Now, who's looking forward to tomorrow's episode?!

The 'gay community'. ugh. We're not a hive mind you know. I agreed with you earlier. Prior to the new series I can't really see anything particularly gay about Who.

Anyway, I'm really looking forward to tomorrow's ep. I'm just scared it's going to suffer from disappointing-second-halfitis

Now post those pics of you operating the dalek and posing with Bo. Come on we know they exist.

No no, I was strictly on camera and child-wrangling duties! They will insist on running off in different directions. I'm sure they plan it in advance.

Whereabouts in Manc is it?

I went to the Blackpool one last year - £7 - and it was utter shite.

It's at the Museum of Science and Industry, which is near Salford I think. It's next door to where they film Coronation Street, because you could see it out of the window... Sorry I can't be more precise, I don't know Manchester at all.

I went to the Blackpool one donkeys years ago, probably getting on for 30 years ago, and IIRC it was pretty tatty even then. This exhibition is pretty good. For a start everything's pretty new and (mostly) in good nick, and it's all very well displayed. The Cyberman area was very well presented. There were lots of information displays and sound effects and clips booming out all over the place.

No no, I was strictly on camera and child-wrangling duties! They will insist on running off in different directions. I'm sure they plan it in advance.

It's at the Museum of Science and Industry, which is near Salford I think. It's next door to where they film Coronation Street, because you could see it out of the window... Sorry I can't be more precise, I don't know Manchester at all.

They film Corrie near Castlefield, so I guess I kinda know where you mean. How long is it there for?

By the way, has anyone mentioned how ace Murray Gold's music was in Human Nature? Just watched it back while I was on the exercise bike, and he pitches it perfectly.

Jesus, what have I done now? Since when did calling the gay community 'the gay community' become an insult? :rolleyes:

You gays sure are touchy.

We are indeed. And obviously I'm speaking for all my people when I say that. Anyway back to Who, yes?

Ratings data seen by Outpost Gallifrey shows just how well Series Three is doing compared to the average drama on British television.

As well as collating the Appreciation Index, the BBC collects data on how audiences perceived programmes and asks a number of questions.

When asked if they made a special effort to watch, around 80% of the audience said they did, way above the average. Around 70% said they watched with a lot of attention and around 60% said the show felt original and different.

The programme also scored highly on the characters and storyline. It only scored lower than the drama average on whether people thought they learned something new.

Data is also available showing which audience groups rated the programme higher. So far this series females gave a higher mark than males and the programme was enjoyed most by those in the 35-54 age group. The highest regional rating comes from Wales.