Doctor Who

FishyFish

Doctor Who stays at its new regular time of 7.10pm for the transmission of this year’s Doctor lite episode, Blink. The programme is once again sandwiched between The Peoples Quiz and the The National Lottery Draws.

'Doctor Lite'.

Interesting.

That was truly brilliant. Like last week's, it was almost too good...

Do you guys who love Doctor Who so much actually watch other shows? Not including reality TV or DIY/cooking shows but any actual drama or other sci-fi. The superlatives hurled at this show by so many people are quite incredible. I just don't get it. It's okay, and I watch it because, y'know, it's Doctor Who, but I've never once thought "Wow. That's amazing television".

Anyway, yeah, very good for Doctor Who.

And get this: I thought Martha was really good. ^_^

Martha owns Rose. For a start, Piper can't act for toffee while Freema can. It's the little things that count.

By the by, when the little girl kills the headmaster, how was that bitch not executed immediately, eh? I see a little girl walking around with some disintegrating ray that just made someone disappear in front of me, who people have already said is dangerous, and I know she's getting a fucking headshot stat.

Do you guys who love Doctor Who so much actually watch other shows? Not including reality TV or DIY/cooking shows but any actual drama or other sci-fi. The superlatives hurled at this show by so many people are quite incredible. I just don't get it. It's okay, and I watch it because, y'know, it's Doctor Who, but I've never once thought "Wow. That's amazing television".

Well hello there Mr. Patronising!

Personally I've watched just about every sci-fi series worth watching, and some that probably weren't. I've seen all of BSG, Firefly, Farscape, every episode of every Star Trek series and even most of Andromeda and Lexx (which was just amazingly bizarre). I've also seen plenty of other good TV shows, not least The Wire and Life on Mars. I like Doctor Who more than any of those, and yes I considder many episodes of the new series to be very much "amazing television". It's certainly got a lot more heart than any other sci-fi show I've seen.

I'm not attempting to be patronising at all. I'm simply curious. At best, I find it to be an enjoyable way to while away some 43 minutes of my time. At worst, I find it to be appalling.

You watch far more sci-fi than me. Out of that lot, Firefly and BSG are really the only series I've watched in recent years aside from Doctor Who. I find both to be on another level incomparison to Who (yes, wholly different, I know, but just saying).

Anyway, yeah, very good for Doctor Who.

You realise I meant because it throws the rest of this season into sharp relief, right?

Anyway, to answer your question, no I don't watch much other sci fi. Dr Who has some inherent magic that other shows just lack.

By the by, when the little girl kills the headmaster, how was that bitch not executed immediately, eh? I see a little girl walking around with some disintegrating ray that just made someone disappear in front of me, who people have already said is dangerous, and I know she's getting a fucking headshot stat.

Gunning down a child with machine guns and rifles on prime time family TV? Seems obvious why they didn't do it. The ray gun was different. The target just vanishes. A child having lots of projectiles tearing into her flesh is a different level.

that was excellent - and the last 10 minutes was some powerful stuff. Must admit, I had a wee lump in my throat right at the end when Tim was at the memorial service. Seems to me that they may have planned to change the timing of this series to later in the year and this may have co-incided with Rememberance Day. Either way - it was an excellent episode. Showcased DTs acting talents where I was grinning from ear to ear when the tiny bit of the Dr slipped out... also, the sequence showing what John Smiths life would be like if he didn't become the Dr was really moving. Wonder what he was refering to when asking about the children just before he died.

Excellent episode... absoloutely fantastic.

that was excellent - and the last 10 minutes was some powerful stuff. Must admit, I had a wee lump in my throat right at the end when Tim was at the memorial service. Seems to me that they may have planned to change the timing of this series to later in the year and this may have co-incided with Rememberance Day.

It was an excellent episode, and the peope going on about the pacing are wrong wrong wrong - it spent it's time in exactly the right place, the emotional heart of the story, but the "I think we have to fight bit" line was the only bit I didn't get, seeing as how WWI was fought over precisely fuck all.

RE: next week... Does "Doctor lite" actually mean "Doctor-lite"? Presumably, he is not in next week's episode much (maybe just in those TV screens). Have to say that it was one of the best teaser trailers too; not giving anything anything away about the story, but still making you want to tune in next week.

My thought about them not killing the girl in the courtyard. They were just children themselves, barely able to hold their guns and crying over killing the scarecrows. I don't think they had it in them to kill another child, one which some of them may have known.

Just downloaded it and watched it...and OMG.

I wept at the end it was so good. Seeing Tim holding the watch and looking at the doctor was such wonderful tv.

The scene with the matron...was really touching, and DT is shining above anything in tv at the moment.

Jessica Stephenson was fantastic as the matron.

Can it get better than this??

It drew in 6.6 million based on overnight figures, which will translate to around 7 million when the final figures come out in two weeks time. Quite good then. Was the most watched show on Saturday, as usual.

Do you guys who love Doctor Who so much actually watch other shows?

Englighten us. What series running right now (and I mean, as we speak) is better than what Doctor Who offered up last night?

I don't really know much about Who novels in general so I was wondering if any resident experts from my favourite thread could clue me in on exactly what I've found here? Any real gems among them? Which should I read first? And where am I going to put them all?

I think Blood Heat, Hummingbird and Goth Opera are fairly well regarded, and Sky Pirates isn't. I haven't actually read any myself though, so could be completely wrong.

Loved the end of the two parter, but noticed something in the end credits which seemed a bit off.

Ron Grainer gets a credit at the end for the theme tune, but there's no credit for Delia Derbyshire whose recording / production of the original music is at least as important as its composition. Seems like an odd omission from a production team who are obviously fairly respectful and reverential towards the original material.

Loved the end of the two parter, but noticed something in the end credits which seemed a bit off.

Ron Grainer gets a credit at the end for the theme tune, but there's no credit for Delia Derbyshire whose recording / production of the original music is at least as important as its composition. Seems like an odd omission from a production team who are obviously fairly respectful and reverential towards the original material.

Ron Grainer is credited because its his composition being used. As good as the recording and production of the original were, they're not being used in this version. YOu could just as easily complain about the lack of credits for past Doctor actors informing Tennant's performance but there's only so much space. ^_^

And THAT'S why I want Doctor Who to be more grown up more often. Fantastic two-parter. The whole scene with John Smith and Jessica Stevenson in the cottage had me welling up. Brilliant writing.

You see, biglime, dark isn't always so bad! The final fate of the Family was awesomely nasty, poetic, and timeless. I do so like that aspect of the Doctor's character when it comes out. Seriously, it was like a different show compared with that amateur hour Dalek/pigmen nonsense earlier in the series.

Loved the short trailer for next week's, too. Them not playing the theme song over the "next time" bit makes it so much better - music set specifically over the trailer makes a big difference. Witness the second half of the season trailer and now the one for Blink. I'm in two minds over Murray Gold still, mind. There were parts of this episode where it was the same over-bombastic rubbish music that he does, but some of the stuff in the quieter moments was great. Anyone else notice his rather nice recurring theme? Drawn it out on a number of occasions now, and it's really good. Simple but effective. The minor key stuff. Had it again near the end of this ep.

The final fate of the Family was awesomely nasty, poetic, and timeless. I do so like that aspect of the Doctor's character when it comes out. Seriously, it was like a different show compared with that amateur hour Dalek/pigmen nonsense earlier in the series.

But that's the brilliance of Doctor Who. One week it's this, the next week that. I loved the Dalek two parter - I loved this two parter. I loved Smith & Jones, 42, The Shakespeare Code. All of them this series, in fact. And they've all been very different. I wouldn't like it to go too far down either route. The balance it's had this series has been perfect.

Anyone else notice his rather nice recurring theme? Drawn it out on a number of occasions now, and it's really good. Simple but effective. The minor key stuff. Had it again near the end of this ep.

I think that's Martha's theme you're talking about - and yes, it's beautiful. ^_^ He mixes it nicely with the Doctor's Gallifreyan (sp) theme too. Rose's theme was in there too, a little bit in the first episode.

But that's the brilliance of Doctor Who. One week it's this, the next week that.

It's not brilliant when one is ace and one is shit. I jest, I know what you're trying to say. You never know quite what you're going to get with Who in terms of tone, which is certainly pretty unique in British telly.

Ron Grainer is credited because its his composition being used. As good as the recording and production of the original were, they're not being used in this version. YOu could just as easily complain about the lack of credits for past Doctor actors informing Tennant's performance but there's only so much space. ^_^

Wikipedia says:

Grainer was amazed at the resulting piece of music and when he heard it, famously asked, "Did I write that?". Derbyshire replied that he mostly had. Unfortunately, the BBC — who wanted to keep members of the Workshop anonymous — prevented Grainer from getting Derbyshire a co-composer credit and a share of the royalties.

I liked this episode a lot too. Shades of Father's Day with John Smith having to sacrifice himself, and the "normal life" thing. I like spotting themes in episodes by the same writers - like, The Empty Child and The Girl In The Fireplace are both about well-meaning robots going wrong with hilarious consequences. Er, fatal, rather.

On the subject of which, what's the betting that Stephen Moffat's episode will be the best of the series again?

Thirty-two Doctor Who paperbacks (including fourteen New Adventures novels) for a tenner!! :):)

The New Adventures titles are The Dimension Riders, Infinite Requiem, Sky Pirates!, Original Sin, Blood Heat, Love and War, Tragedy Day, Cat's Cradle: Warhead, Blood Harvest, The Left-Handed Hummingbird, Timewyrm: Apocalypse, Timewyrm: Revelation, Timewyrm: Exodus and Timewyrm: Genesys.

I don't really know much about Who novels in general so I was wondering if any resident experts from my favourite thread could clue me in on exactly what I've found here? Any real gems among them? Which should I read first? And where am I going to put them all?

I'll take this one ^_^ and can I just say for a £10 that was a complete bargain. I think Revelation alone would sell for £10

Ok heres what you should read first

Timewyrm:Revelation - Paul Cornell's first novel and responsible for what is known as a paradigm shift in Doctor Who, it is his first novel so his writing skill isnt at its peak yet and he was about 21 but I love it.

Love and War - Paul Cornell again and his second book and IMO this is the novel what showed me what Doctor Who could do, it blew my little mind it did. Granted it was a long time ago and my first ever New Adventure. It features the first real appearance of the 7th Dr as a complete bastard and the introduction to Bernice Summerfield. I was aDoctor Who fan before this book after it I was a DOCTOR WHO FAN

Blood Heat -sequel to Silurians but set in a seperate universe where the Dr didnt save the day.

The Left Handed Hummingbird - Kate Ormans first book and another real cracker, would love to see this one televised . Dr takes acid and what a cracking scene it is, one of my all time faves and I thin I've read it about 7 times altogether

Original Sin - Andy Lane- introduces 2 new companions Roz and Chris Cwej (who I adore) their basically Judges(2000ad) and its basically the Doc's adventures in Mega City 1.

Warhead is a pretty good read, same goes for Dimension Riders and and I personally like Sky Pirates but I'm alone on that one I think.

As for the rest I havent read many Missing Adventures but Goth Opera is good and needs to be read before Blood Harvest IIRC.

Oh and those Decalog books have some great short stories but make it a priority to read Continuity Errors by Steven Moffat (decalog 4 I think) its a cracker

And THAT'S why I want Doctor Who to be more grown up more often. Fantastic two-parter. The whole scene with John Smith and Jessica Stevenson in the cottage had me welling up. Brilliant writing.

You see, biglime, dark isn't always so bad! The final fate of the Family was awesomely nasty, poetic, and timeless. I do so like that aspect of the Doctor's character when it comes out. Seriously, it was like a different show compared with that amateur hour Dalek/pigmen nonsense earlier in the series.

Loved the short trailer for next week's, too. Them not playing the theme song over the "next time" bit makes it so much better - music set specifically over the trailer makes a big difference. Witness the second half of the season trailer and now the one for Blink. I'm in two minds over Murray Gold still, mind. There were parts of this episode where it was the same over-bombastic rubbish music that he does, but some of the stuff in the quieter moments was great. Anyone else notice his rather nice recurring theme? Drawn it out on a number of occasions now, and it's really good. Simple but effective. The minor key stuff. Had it again near the end of this ep.

But Doctor Who ISNT a grown up show

its a family show.. You want dark? That's what Torchwood was made for (even though some mistakenly think it doesnt manage it).

I still reckon my 8th Doctor spinoff show is a good idea...

I'm with Sweetdaddy on both points: it IS a family show so, moments of darkness yes, entire arcs of darkness no thnx.

And yeah, I think that an 8th Doctor series would be a good idea not only because it would add another stream onto the Dr Who stories but also, and more importantly, it would allow the beeb to start spacing the series out a little more, if RTD and DT are right about the burnout thing with the constant shooting over nine months then, surely, spacing it out a little would allow DT to pursue other side projects in the space between series and hopefully see a longer run for his Doctor. Trying to get in a new series and special each year just seems to mean that we'll get a Doctor for a couple of series at best and then it all starts over again. That and I'd love to see a 8th and 10th Doctor team up which could then split into two series.

Then again I wouldn't want the 8th Doctor to be all dark eps either, just another family show that excels for me, thanks.

But Doctor Who ISNT a grown up show

its a family show..

Who says that a family show can't be grown up? Apart from Lucas.

You want dark? That's what Torchwood was made for (even though some mistakenly think it doesnt manage it).

Mistakenly? Torchwood is as grown up as The Chuckle Brothers. (Still like it, mind.)

I like your spin-off idea. McGann was the ace element of a weak TV movie.