IGNORED

Doctor Who

FishyFish

My reading was that as the Family had encountered the Doctor at the begining of HN, they were now in the same timeline.

It was 3 months relatively from that date (in both their personal timestreams) when the family would die.

So the family could have traveled all over time looking for the Doctor, but they'd only age (say 2 months) in they're relative timeline. (Think how Martha was gone for 1 night, but she'd been on 4 adventures. Her and the Doctor's personal time lines were together and aged, say 2 weeks).

Now once the family landed in 1914, they rejoined up with the Doctor's timeline (notice they don't ask how long he's been there). They now can't go back 2 weeks earlier, as it would change their own personal timelines and create a paradox*

(Think...the Doctor/Rose saved many peoples lifes with no affect. When they affected Rose's personal time line by saving her dad, problems arrose)

which is the blinovitch limitation effect.....sigh

Yeah we saw them arrive.

Shit! There's my dodgy memory at work again. But I still think my other point stands, time travel seems to be by no means a precise thing in this show (not a criticism, just a statement of fact).

Shit! There's my dodgy memory at work again. But I still think my other point stands, time travel seems to be by no means a precise thing in this show (not a criticism, just a statement of fact).

Well basically if they can't time travel at will then there's no plot hole. If they can then the whole hiding premise doesn't work.

I'm not sure how they found him. If they followed the Tardis (imprecisely) and the Doctor knew they would arrrive but planned on hiding for 3 months then that works. But it makes the Doctor a total bastard for turning up at a populated place\time (which admittedly was hinted at). Of course he could have just stayed in tha Tardis and saved a lot of fuss.

which is the blinovitch limitation effect.....sigh

No...it's the Hexx Effect, :wub:

Yeah. I hope they bring him back.

He was good, but he'd need the whole crew (otherwise how would they get the "of mine" lark). Also...I don't think he'd be as good against the Doctor. He was brilliant because he was against poor, weak, stupid, humans :wacko:

I thought they'd lost it this season with the Gatiss episode being the only one i really enjoyed, and then i watched the last episode this morning and i absolutely loved it. The guy who played Baines was so well done with the right mix of evil and creepy mixed in he just left me wanting to see more of him. Tennant was fantastic and the decision between him choosing a life of human happiness and being the Dr was put together so well and acted with what looked like such ease i was blown away. One quick question, was the mother the demon they found in the pit near the blackhole, because it seemed to suggest that?

I thought they'd lost it this season with the Gatiss episode being the only one i really enjoyed, and then i watched the last episode this morning and i absolutely loved it. The guy who played Baines was so well done with the right mix of evil and creepy mixed in he just left me wanting to see more of him. Tennant was fantastic and the decision between him choosing a life of human happiness and being the Dr was put together so well and acted with what looked like such ease i was blown away. One quick question, was the mother the demon they found in the pit near the blackhole, because it seemed to suggest that?

I was wondering where you'd gone with your comments. ^_^

As for the mother, what makes you think that? Its nowt to do with it. Make sure you catch this Saturdays as well. and remember DON'T BLINK

Thought they where both fantastic, but one thing that’s still puzzling me is Tim, though that may be due to my poor memory and not being able to check back.

In the first Martha bumps into Tim and he has a flashback/forward to her bumping into him and calling out her name, still as a child in what looks like the present day. It actually looked like the first episode as Martha was on her way to work and I seem to recall an incident like that, but I don’t have a copy to check. At the time I did think for some reason he doesn’t age, but then the final scene is of him in what I assume is the present day as an old man. I do wonder if there is something else about him apart from his clairvoyant skills and we’ll be seeing him again at some point, assuming he was there.

How is it messed up by the WWI speech? They've been to the future. They probably have historical records from the future, which would include WWI. So why couldn't they know about it?

Because they said they'd been there looking for The Doctor, which suggests it was after he disappeared.

But this really doesn't matter.

Thought they where both fantastic, but one thing that’s still puzzling me is Tim, though that may be due to my poor memory and not being able to check back.

In the first Martha bumps into Tim and he has a flashback/forward to her bumping into him and calling out her name, still as a child in what looks like the present day. It actually looked like the first episode as Martha was on her way to work and I seem to recall an incident like that, but I don’t have a copy to check. At the time I did think for some reason he doesn’t age, but then the final scene is of him in what I assume is the present day as an old man. I do wonder if there is something else about him apart from his clairvoyant skills and we’ll be seeing him again at some point, assuming he was there.

No, it's not from the first episode. She bumps into the Doctor doing his tie trick in the first episode, and then the Zovirax guy as she walks into the hospital. But none like that.

It's so sad at the end how he does actually try by asking her to come with him and saying something like "Everything that John Smith is and was, I'm capable of that as well" but that only makes it worse because he would be pretending ^_^

I know ;) But even sadder is the fact John Smith gave up everything for him to exist again, which is sad and also a bit of a relief. As a universe without a Doctor doesnt bare thinking about. For some reason though a lonely Doctor really gets to me, hence me in tears at the final shot of TGIF and choking up in FOB.

Secondly If he's left alone then theres a tendancy for his dark side to come to the fore, which isnt good. He needs us humans to keep him on the straight and narrow.

Secondly If he's left alone then theres a tendancy for his dark side to come to the fore, which isnt good. He needs us humans to keep him on the straight and narrow.

Which is something McCoy and Eccleston gave us in spades, right?

Which is something McCoy and Eccleston gave us in spades, right?

Eccleston was post traumatic stress Doctor IMO and hence his lack of humanity in Rose(which again proves the point of dont leave him on his own) then his reaction in Dalek when faced with one of the creatures responsible for the destruction of his people.

McCoy wasnt on his own though? He's only really dark in Fenric and Rememberance. he's a lot darker in the New Adventures though.

No, it's not from the first episode. She bumps into the Doctor doing his tie trick in the first episode, and then the Zovirax guy as she walks into the hospital. But none like that.

Thanks, that clears that up. I do still wonder about the flash back though as it was Martha running into Tim set in the future.

I never thought Eccleston was that dark. intense yes, dark...?

He just had that gravitas I think that lent itself to the suggestion that he'd gone off brooding in the TARDIS after the Time War. He wasn't necessarily dark but he gave this prime-time family drama a certain adult edge, enough to infer all this 'darkness'. 'Dalek' to my mind really highlighted this, that ferocious outburst when he first confronts his old enemy (oh, for the days when there was just one bloody Dalek) - just wonderful.

EDIT - a typo (or two).

For some reason though a lonely Doctor really gets to me, hence me in tears at the final shot of TGIF and choking up in FOB.

Im sorry but what? None of the shows between Tennant and Eccleston have been anywhere near enough well written to evoke that sort of response. The scripts etc are good for a British show but not THAT good. I recommend you dont watch the likes of Heroes as the shock of seeing how a sci fi show should be done may kill you. ^_^

Edit. Id just like to add that the only episode Ive seen throughout the entire series that is worthy of real praise was The girl through the Mirror. But even then Ive seen better episodes of Star Trek TNG. And I know the BBC is capable of so much more just look at the likes of Life on Mars. Drama wise it wee'd from a great height on Doctor Who. Ho hum, bah humbug etc.

'Dalek' to my mind really highlighted this, that ferocious outburst when he first confronts his old enemy (oh, for the days when there was just one bloody Dalek) just wonderful.

Bloody brilliant, that scene. Hmmm... that or sonic screwdriver/gurning? Not exactly a difficult choice, which is why the latest two-parter was so good.

One thing that did make me laugh on the weekend was when Martha showed him the Sonic screwdriver and asked him if he knew what it was. All that was going through my mind was "you should bloody well know its been in every single damn episode you've ever been in". Its funny how the little things get to you, that screwdriver is one of the worst plot device fixes Ive ever seen. Maybe if Russell and his team leaves we might get someone who will rely on it less and less.

Im sorry but what? None of the shows between Tennant and Eccleston have been anywhere near enough well written to evoke that sort of response. The scripts etc are good for a British show but not THAT good. I recommend you dont watch the likes of Heroes as the shock of seeing how a sci fi show should be done may kill you. ^_^

Such a rude comment to make.

It's all subjective. He's only stating his opinion, albeit in an abrasive way.

The general concensus is pretty far from his point of view, but there's bound to be critics.

Yeah, but he's basically implying that Cassidy is a moron for getting emotional about an episode of Who.

Criticise the show by all means, but lay off having a go at people for enjoying it, that's all I'm saying.