Doctor Who

FishyFish

Three left? Woo hoo!

Oh yeah, Utopia is the Jacobi one isn't it?

Yes and whatever you do avoid the TV Times this week. HUGE SPOILER in there.

Its pretty much what I thought was going to happen but lawks its nice to have it confirmed :lol:

Dont read this if you dont want the next 3 episodes spoiled DONT SAY I DIDNT WARN YOU

Jacobi is killed at the end of Utopia, regenerates into John Simm, turns out he didnt even know he was the Master. He then pops off back to 2007 to take his place as Harold Saxon

I reckon that this season we had three middling episodes, then we had four weak episodes, then three cast-iron classics. I really, really hope these last three are good 'uns. The gulf in quality between the high and low points has been startling.

I reckon that this season we had three middling episodes, then we had four weak episodes, then three cast-iron classics. I really, really hope these last three are good 'uns. The gulf in quality between the high and low points has been startling.

Don't see that at all.

There have been no weak episodes this series, if you ask me. Some better than others - taste sees to that - but no Fear Hers this time around. I've thoroughly enjoyed every single episode.

Well, seeing as it's review the season time, mine would go:

Smith & Jones - Good

Shakespeare Code - Poor

Gridlock - Good

Daleks in Manhattan/Evolution of the Daleks - Good

Lazarus Experiment - Very Good

42 - Excellent

Human Nature/Family of Blood - More Excellent

Blink - Most Excellent

I've got a good feeling about the final 3.

It was awful. Especially the sickeningly saccharine last ten minutes or so.

Also I'm just about managing not to look at those spoilers, and thanks for the shout out about the TV Times, cassidy. I've been pleased to see the amount of coverage New Who's been able to get since it began, but when just glancing through a magazine, or even just catching the sight of a cover can reveal significant spoilers (e.g. Dalek Sec's new form) then it pisses me off muchly.

It was awful. Especially the sickeningly saccharine last ten minutes or so.

Also I'm just about managing not to look at those spoilers, and thanks for the shout out about the TV Times, cassidy. I've been pleased to see the amount of coverage New Who's been able to get since it began, but when just glancing through a magazine, or even just catching the sight of a cover can reveal significant spoilers (e.g. Dalek Sec's new form) then it pisses me off muchly.

No probs :lol:

Here's my season so far review

Smith & Jones - Good 4/5

Shakespeare Code - Good 4/5

Gridlock - Cracking stuff 5/5

Daleks in Manhattan/Evolution of the Daleks - Meh 3/5

Lazarus Experiment - Good 4/5

42 - good 4/5

Human Nature/Family of Blood - Excellent 6/5 I had no doubts about this one :lol:

Blink - Excellent 6/5

Well if everyone else is doing it, then I think I might have a go:

Smith & Jones - 4/5

Shakespeare Code - 3/5

Gridlock - 4/5

Daleks in Manhattan - 3/5

Evolution of the Daleks - 2/5

Lazarus Experiment - 4/5

42 - 3/5

Human Nature - 5/5

Family of Blood - 5/5

Blink - 5/5

Although I have a feeling Derek Jacobi's turn could yet push Utopia up from a 4 to a 5.

:lol:

You're not the only one, surely he must be the best actor that they've managed to get to guest appear on the show in these three series? I'm expecting great things (at least from him) next episode, I'm really hoping I won't be disappointed.

Me please. Including Capsule Reviews. Unlucky!

Smith & Jones - 3* Nice juggling of storylines plus almost unique decent Davies 3rd Act.

Shakespeare Code - Didn't see it.

Gridlock - 2*. Overrated if you ask me. Makeup, dodgy effects and social 'comment' reminded me of the rubbish early McCoy eps.

Daleks in Manhattan/Evolution of the Daleks - 2*. Only saw the second one. Wasn't terrifically impressed, although monster in suit was a nice throwback to City of Death.

Lazarus Experiment - 3* Should have paid more attention to it. Monster CGI was very Lawnmower Man.

42 - 5* Not terrifically Doctor Who-ey - I always think the show's most distinctive when it's a wee bit pastoral and tea is involved in some minor fashion - but for me, the point at which the show stepped up to the plate and proved it doesn't have anything to fear from US shows. Storytelling was exquisite, it had a lot of respect for the audience, and was full of great performances. Even Michelle Collins wasn't terrible.

Human Nature/Family of Blood - 4* Didn't jizz over my tits about it like some of you - I didn't really see the point of the scarecrows or why they had to be scarecrows - but intelligent writing and an amazing final sequence.

Blink - 5* Really starting to take the piss now quality wise. MR James meets Sapphire & Steel. David Tennant beginning to seem like the best doctor ever. Tingles on back of neck with final montage.

We'll see how the final three play out. Pretty confident, basically. Derek Jakobi was in Underworld Fucking 2 though, so he's not exactly Jeff Bridges.

Also, really pleased the twists being discussed don't use my reboot idea for using this unique element of Who mythos. Sounds good tho.

Smith & Jones - 4/5

Shakespeare Code - 4/5

Gridlock - 4.5/5

Daleks in Manhatten - 4/5

Evolution of the Daleks - 4/5

Lazarus Experiment - 4/5

42 - 4.5/5

Human Nature - 5/5

The Family of Blood - 5/5

Blink - 5/5

Every single episode has had a stand-out moment or two for me. I've been thoroughly entertained and - god forbid - moved on a fair few occassions too.

He hasn't seen it yet, he's been in the US so he's only seen up to Human Nature so far. We both thought that was far better than the rest of the season and I've really enjoyed Family of Blood and Blink too so I'm hoping he'll like them.

I thought Blink was REALLY good, actually. Proper scary bad guys and nice interesting time loopiness. Interesting what Moffat was saying in Confidential about how you know you've written a good one when you say "well there's my feature film idea gone then". Or something like that. Blink would have made a great film.

As for my scores:

Smith & Jones - 2/5

Shakespeare Code - 2/5 (would have been more except it really just felt like a rerun of the Dickens one)

Gridlock - 3/5

Daleks in Manhatten - 2/5

Evolution of the Daleks - 1/5

Lazarus Experiment - 3/5 (only cos I thought Mark Gatiss was great)

42 - 1/5

Human Nature - 4.5/5

The Family of Blood - 4.5/5

Blink - 5/5

And a week ago I would have put Human Nature and Family of Blood as 5s, but they weren't quite as great as Blink.

I can't be doing with scoring the episodes, but before Human Nature I'd probably have given everything a 4, except a 3 for the second Dalek episode and 2 for Gridlock. But the last three episodes have recalibrated the scale so you either have to knock a point off each of those and give the last three a 5, or follow Cassidy's lead and give them 6/5 instead.

Basically I think the whole series has been good overall, but the last three episodes have been outstanding.

I can't be doing with scoring the episodes, but before Human Nature I'd probably have given everything a 4, except a 3 for the second Dalek episode and 2 for Gridlock. But the last three episodes have recalibrated the scale so you either have to knock a point off each of those and give the last three a 5, or follow Cassidy's lead and give them 6/5 instead.

Basically I think the whole series has been good overall, but the last three episodes have been outstanding.

I think we're on a roll for best of the 3 new series (in general).

I'm still not sure the "bad wolf" arc and the return of the daleks will be better as an arc :lol:

Smith & Jones - 3/5 liked the silliness of the monsters, thought the intro of Freema was a little trite. Felt epicly inconsequential.

Shakespeare Code - 3/5 Liked Shakespeare as a character, thought the witches were a little dull.

Gridlock - 3/5 (the crab claws just managed to turn it from amazing to occasionally silly).

Daleks in Manhatten - 2/5 goodish start, shame about the cliffhanger at the end of part 1.

Evolution of the Daleks - -(minus)5/5 utter gibberish from start to finish. A retread of S1 Dalek, a pathetic cop out at the end, an unneccesary weakening of a classic bad guy. Hey! Instead of having an army of terrifying tinpots lets just have one, racked by doubt and lost in time/space. Which, by the way, isn't all that uncommon nowadays. Unless the consensus is that it's being misunderstood or something.

Lazarus Experiment - 2.5/5 good start, shamed by dodgey computer bad guy which made the ep follow a dull, dull path. Some excellent moments in it though.

42 - 4/5. Didn't feel like a Dr Who story per se, but mostly great all the way through, bar the plot holes which didn't really need to be there.

Human Nature - 4/5

The Family of Blood - 4.5/5

Blink - haven't seen it yet, waiting for a free evening but not too late in case it gives me nightmares :lol: (well, that's what wifey said and I'd prefer to watch it together so it's up to her to pick the time).

Overall there's been a lot to like through the series minus the retreading of assistant characteristics leading to lessened impact and plot holes/plot silliness' that shouldn't have made it through the read through stages. It'd be nice to get away from earth for a good period of time in the next series and also to see some forward momentum on the assistant stakes - I'd have loved to see Tim join the crew but there you go. Also it'd be nice to see a little less shouting and screwdrivering and, personally, as the cybermen are my favourite bad guy I'd like to see them back some day soon... Proper ones though, none of this parallel dimennsion malarkey.

unlike series 1 and 2 for me, there hasn't been a single epsiode that I thought was poor. Series 2 was the worst offender with inconsistent quality. Its highs were very high - but its lows (Fear Her!) were awful.

Series 3 has been consistently great and the last 3 episodes in particular have been some of the best telly I've seen in a very long time.

here's my ratings:

Smith & Jones - 3/5

Shakespeare Code - 3/5

Gridlock - 3/5

Daleks in Manhatten - 3/5

Evolution of the Daleks - 4/5

Lazarus Experiment - 3/5

42 - 4/5

Human Nature - 5/5

The Family of Blood - 5/5

Blink - 5/5

I'm not much of a Who fan with only 2-3 episodes per season really standing out and the rest either instantly forgettable or total dross. The quality of the writing has been a lot better this season but there have been episodes that I just didn't click with (42 being a prime example of a failry decent script but nothing that hooked).

Smith & Jones - 3/5

Shakespeare Code - 2/5

Gridlock - 1/5

Daleks in Manhatten - 2/5

Evolution of the Daleks - 1/5

Lazarus Experiment - 3/5

42 - 2/5

Human Nature - 4.5/5

The Family of Blood - 4/5

Blink - 5/5

Well if everyone else is doing it, then I think I might have a go:

Smith & Jones - 4/5

Shakespeare Code - 3/5

Gridlock - 4/5

Daleks in Manhattan - 3/5

Evolution of the Daleks - 2/5

Lazarus Experiment - 4/5

42 - 3/5

Human Nature - 5/5

Family of Blood - 5/5

Blink - 5/5

You are me and I claim my £5

And my go!

Smith & Jones - 4/5 Great opener, much better than New Earth the previous year. Piper gone :lol: Martha in :lol:

Shakespeare Code - 2/5 The witches and word stuff was a bit rubbish. Shakespeare was annoying.

Gridlock - 4/5 Smashing episode. Tennant really hits his stride, finally.

Daleks in Manhatten - 2/5 Oh dear. Bit of a mess and just felt naff.

Evolution of the Daleks - 2/5 A complete mess.

Lazarus Experiment - 4/5 Back on form and Gatiss was great.

42 - 4.5/5 Very good again. Looked fantastic.

Human Nature - 5/5 Stunning. Who, Who, Who.

The Family of Blood - 4/5 A bit patchy in places but with some great work from Tennant and a nice finish.

Blink - 5/5 Superb.