Doctor Who

FishyFish

Although the Master seems a bit more ... camp, then I would like.

At the moment I think they've just gone back to the basic idea of what The Master is: The Doctor, but with evil plans. So he's very much in the mould of Tennant's Doctor for the moment, but I'm sure it'll settle down into his own personality.

Radio Times summed it up perfectly.

Bit of a clunker (Futurekind? Utopia? The "plot" of the episode was weak) with some nice moments ("Can't I say hello to anyone") with a really good climax.

I like the doctor's reason for leaving Jack.

Derek Jacobi was ok, John Simm was hard to gauge, but he seemed to be hamming it up nicely and have a grand time chewing the scenery.

Should be interesting....

At the moment I think they've just gone back to the basic idea of what The Master is: The Doctor, but with evil plans. So he's very much in the mould of Tennant's Doctor for the moment, but I'm sure it'll settle down into his own personality.

I can understand that, and I didn't have much of a problem with Simm until he went "End of the universe! Bye-bye!" (and I really liked it when he said "Tough!"). To a certain level I haven't got a problem with that kind of stuff (I liked the thumbs up). But that little 'ding' when he smiled at the end of the trailer? And the music they played when Jacobi was regenerating? Jesus.

On a wholly-positive note, it was great to see Jack back. I thought they handled his return perfectly, all the loose threads tied up and everything explained. And in a thoroughly entertaining matter as well.

Dear BBC,

Why oh why oh why when the Angels held on to the Tardis and it time travelled did the Angels get left behind, but when Captain Jack did he travelled with it even though the Tardis was actively trying to shake him off?

Love,

deKay

xxx

Dear BBC,

Why oh why oh why when the Angels held on to the Tardis and it time travelled did the Angels get left behind, but when Captain Jack did he travelled with it even though the Tardis was actively trying to shake him off?

Love,

deKay

xxx

Captain Jack is "wrong."

Love,

Me.

Having been spoiled on Jack/the Masters return, for me perhaps the biggest reveal of all was the fobwatch. My god, what a clever way to bring back a timelord, after first establishing that the timelord inside the watch is undetectable. There's a guy who's been hearing weird sounds all his life, with a watch he's had just as long.

I also loved the scene with Jack and the Doctor, and some awesome acting from Tennant there. Can't wait to see more of Simm.

My only nag is that futurekind, the rocket, Utopia, were used as such throwaway plot devices. I'd love it if we got to see more of what happens to them next week, but I have a feeling the Doctor will simply fix Jack's time/spacehopper with the sonic next week, and they'll be off to the year of our lord 2007.

Dear BBC,

Love,

deKay

xxx

Also they were more pushing it around then grabbing on.

And more importantly, if the TARDIS trip at that point had been configured so as not to carry any passengers inside it, I wouldn't be surprised if it had a similar effect on anyone grappling to it from the outside.

That was amazing. And I loved John Simm's performance, so haterz can suck it, aite.

I don't really get why the Master was trying to kill off humanity, if he didn't know who he was. Actually even if he did know who he was, why did he do it? Forgive me, I don't know a lot about the Master. It'll be worse for my mate though, this is his first series of Who so I don't think he knows who The Master or Jack are. I'll wager he didn't understand a word. :rolleyes:

My only nag is that futurekind, the rocket, Utopia, were used as such throwaway plot devices. I'd love it if we got to see more of what happens to them next week, but I have a feeling the Doctor will simply fix Jack's time/spacehopper with the sonic next week, and they'll be off to the year of our lord 2007.

I'm betting that the thing he did with the sonic screwdriver to the Tardis was program it to return to him.

My only nag is that futurekind, the rocket, Utopia, were used as such throwaway plot devices. I'd love it if we got to see more of what happens to them next week

I got the feeling they are simply fucked. They may get somewhere, but won't escape the end of the universe.

I couldn't give a toss about Utopia really. I think all that was just a red herring of a plot.

Am I right in thinking this is Captain Jack before Torchwood then? If that's so, the TARDIS arriving at the end of Torchwood - when does that happen in Who, eh?

Having been spoiled on Jack/the Masters return, for me perhaps the biggest reveal of all was the fobwatch. My god, what a clever way to bring back a timelord, after first establishing that the timelord inside the watch is undetectable. There's a guy who's been hearing weird sounds all his life, with a watch he's had just as long.

Was it the Chameleon Arch then? Do I win a prize?

I couldn't give a toss about Utopia really. I think all that was just a red herring of a plot.

Am I right in thinking this is Captain Jack before Torchwood then? If that's so, the TARDIS arriving at the end of Torchwood - when does that happen in Who, eh?

This is Jack post-Torchwood Season 1 (according to RTD).

They couldn't tie it directly into TW as the little kiddies shouldn't be watching it. So when Jack "heard" the TARDIS and the winds blew he acctually ran back for his coat/bag/hand, ran upstairs too it, without anyone seeing.

A wizard did it :)

Andsom - That's what we're meant to assume. You win a hug!

Edit 2 - The episodewas full of lots of stuff for perceptive fans to notice. Anyone note the reference to the 'Silver Devastation'? IIRC that was last mentioned in The End Of The World as the home of... The Face of Boe. Nice how it all fits together.

I don't really get why the Master was trying to kill off humanity, if he didn't know who he was. Actually even if he did know who he was, why did he do it?

I don't think the Professor was trying to kill them or even knew it wouldn't work. He thought it may have a chance of working. It was just The Master, after he came back, who thinks it's all a load of rubbish.

No, it's post Torchwood. Although granted the ending of Torchwood's finale and the beginning of this episode don't really seem to fit together, but I'm pretty sure that's what's happened.

I'd pretty much decided a while back that Jacobi wouldn't be the Master, that it'd just be straight to John Simm, so tonight I was thinking, "Nah"..."Hmmm..wait a sec...", "It bloody well is, you know!" and then I got goosebumps when he said he was The Master. Fucking brilliant! It would only have been bettered had he shrunk the insect woman with his Tissue Compression Eliminator. :)

So, where do you think the Master's TARDIS is hidden? Is it on the planet, and if so, why didn't he use it? Maybe it was safer to just nick the Doctor's?

Did anyone catch Martha say "I recognise that voice." after the regeneration?

Also, I though that Cassandra was the last 'human'? So how come there were more of them at the end of the universe? Did Cassadra just make the assumption?

My only downside tonight was that the insect woman would've been so much better with just the simple addition of a set of prosthetic teeth and some contact lenses. It was the same with the cat people on New Earth. It just rendered her too human. Just a niggle though.

Fantastic start to a three parter. Loved it!

My only real complaint is that there isn't more Jacobi Master, I could've watched him for a whole series.

I was thinking that, I thought his final scenes were absolutely brilliant, probably my favourite scenes from the recent series.

Also, I though that Cassandra was the last 'human'? So how come there were more of them at the end of the universe? Did Cassadra just make the assumption?

She was the last 100% pure human.