Doctor Who

FishyFish

Astrid - Tardis? Nothing came of?

I think that was a red herring by RTD to send us all off track.

I liked the new theme tune, but overly I thought the episode was pretty dire.

The midhsip man's miraculous recovery wound!

The awful "Doctor Ascends Carried by Angels"

The queen! (And Dialogue)

There were good bits (people fleeing London etc), but the bad far outweighed it.

Yeah those were the bad bits (though even the miraculous recovery only fleetingly crossed my mind), but they didn't ruin the episode for me at all. I really really enjoyed it, was a fun romp - laugh out loud in parts, amazed they killed most of the 'good' guys off, then that bit at the end when he couldn't save her ;) All in all was perfect Christmas telly :)

so far the preview of next season left me cold - mainly as Catherine Tate seems to have the shouty cockney thing going on constantly.

Though that I agree with - willing to give her a chance, but I really hope they weren't her best bits.

Clearly. Personally I think they should set all Christmas specials on the planet Zargon, where the Doctor must debate philosophy with the Grand Quaff Falonicus in order to settle a business deal between the races of the Galactic Consortium. Now that's what I call festive!

There are any number of variations on Christmas you could do. Personally I think Doctor Who is best with small, personal stories. My mum complained there was no Christmas Ghost story on this year. Could have tried that. You could do a modern take on Dickens and have a modern morality play. Riff on It's a Wonderful Life. You could use it as an excuse for a multi-doctor special. There is any number of things you could do. Doctor Who has the scope to cover almost anything. Why must it always be the same apocalypse scenario.

Particularly when it is done cack. There were a few good ideas in there, but it was just so badly paced and didn't set up the characters at all well. They kept dying, and I didn't care a bit. Earth being there was pointless and probably weakened the story. The baddie was signposted a mile off, and the whole slo-mo with Astrid was painful. Especially the cut to the close up to the dude's head as he fell. Hnngghh.

When Who is good, it's so very good. This just makes the disappointments worser. Thankfully, the trailer for the new season looks good.

There are any number of variations on Christmas you could do.

I personally thought if the titanic was falling towards some planet in the far future and we got to see how christmas had evolved, or if the titanic was a time cruiser on its maiden voyage into the past and different people had different concepts of christmas, it'd have been a far stronger episode. The way it was handled was, I thought, disappointing in the circumstances.

I actually really like the idea of the titanic as a time cruiser on it's maiden voyage into the past. That would have been amazing.

The biggest problem was the fact it tried to use a number of characters and developed none of them in the slightest. Comedy fat couple, arrogant rich guy, obligatory alien and hapless crewmember could have been the names of the cast and I'd never have noticed.

I also don't see why people are so excited with the trailer for S4 as I saw more reused aliens (and ones that were shit in the 1st place) and Catherine Tate being all cockney and trying to crowbar a comedy line every time she opened her mouth.

The biggest problem was the fact it tried to use a number of characters and developed none of them in the slightest. Comedy fat couple, arrogant rich guy, obligatory alien and hapless crewmember could have been the names of the cast and I'd never have noticed.

I also don't see why people are so excited with the trailer for S4 as I saw more reused aliens (and ones that were shit in the 1st place) and Catherine Tate being all cockney and trying to crowbar a comedy line every time she opened her mouth.

The rich crew member was presumably another ham fisted ransacking of Fang Rock. Funny, that. They did more with a crap light house set than these guys could ever dream of.

Agree about S4, nothing there to get excited about. Even crossed my mind not to bother tuning in.

It was OK, but they really need to run the scripts past someone else first.

The problem may be that the producer, script director and head writer are all the same person. That's a bit of a bugger when he writes a script that's really shit- there's nobody higher up to have the final say on an edit. I think RTD shouldn't be writing all the major episodes of the show, as this does seem to happen a lot of times, though never to this extent.

Like many others here, I thought it was a bit disappointing. Too many underdeveloped characters, a ridiculous setup and lashings of whiffy cheese.

It was pretty bleak in places though - the Doctor failed to save almost everyone. Now if only there had been any reason to actually care about any of those characters as they died, it might have worked, but as it was it was more like a checklist being ticked off. Fat person - check. Little spiky dude - check. Other fat person - check.

I've never been a huge fan of RTD's scripts but this was just embarrassing. Easily the weakest of the three Christmas specials and a low point for the series as a whole.

I'm having to lend my friend "The Kingmaker" after this as apparantly watching it ruined her Christmas. Hopefully listening to one of the best scripts the show's ever produced while brighten her Boxing Day.

ooh your friend is cool, the kingmaker is cool. Obviously not as cool as chimes of midnight but still pretty cool.

in fact thats made me realise how much better an xmas episode of Doctor Who chimes is over Voyage :)

I've got to echo the negative comments here. A decent premise (I've got no problem with the Doctor saving the world at Christmas) but very very poorly executed. The script was poor and the direction was bland at best. Fat couple and alien cyborg didn't care about a bit, terrible pacing through their (thankfully) brief sections but someone really needed to come along and heavily edit that script. I watched the episode with someone who'd never seen an episode of Dr Who before as well and felt really embarrased at the massive lashings of cheese over the whole thing.

As for the trailer for next season, I liked the look of it for the most part, but Catherine Tate did look quite annoying in most of her shots.

Were the other Christmas specials the same length because this felt so much longer? I watched it will three kids and none of them liked it either so at least they have some standards. I was mildly looking forward to S4 but Tate's Cockney performance in the trailer was enough to make me not bother with it (over reaction maybe but I really can't stand her).

ooh your friend is cool, the kingmaker is cool. Obviously not as cool as chimes of midnight but still pretty cool.

in fact thats made me realise how much better an xmas episode of Doctor Who chimes is over Voyage :)

Tbh, not only do I think it's better than TCoM, I think the Kingmaker has probably the strongest script of any Doctor Who ever. I find the ending of TCoM a bit cloying and Paul McGann's performance a bit can't-be-arsed, whereas Kingmaker has the best ending of any Doctor Who story ever and Peter Davison is simply amazing in it. That said, I was going to send her the Chimes of Midnight, but then found out I've lost it, as it does indeed shit all over VotD in the Christmas story stakes. There was a rumbling that they were going to adapt it for next year's special, but sadly I think it's an unsubstantiated one.

I didn't realise until today that it wasn't the Titanic, but a spaceship. I mean...

titanic1024pp4.jpg

There was also a game and novel on the same basic idea, <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starship_Titanic" target="_blank">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starship_Titanic</a> and you'll probably find someone else had already done it!

I'm a bit surprised at the almost universal hate this is getting though; it's by no means a classic, but there've been a few episodes I thought were ten times worse that still had a band of followers singing their praises.

They better be good, I just bought both.

Episode 1 of The Kingmaker will make you think it might turn out a bit shit, so persist. The wooden sounding one is supposed to sound like that. Peri and Whatsherface aren't in it that much.

To be honest I'm not sure you'll like The Chimes of Midnight, though, as it is in my opinion a bit overhyped. There's several cracking scenes and twists and bits in it, though.

Circular Time, Spare Parts, Jubilee and The Holy Terror are all widely acclaimed BFs I really enjoyed, especially Circular Time which is beyond amazing. I'm also a massive fan of The Wormery, although it's extremely unpopular for some reason.

In retrospect there were a number of points where lazy scripting reared its head, and I think the concept would have worked far better over a longer running time. All the characters could have done with more development, and it was a bit silly to have so many main characters die in exactly the same way. I still enjoyed it, but it was a long way from RTDs best, let alone the best of the new series as a whole. Bearing in mind the fourty-five minute brilliance of Gridlock, this was a definite must-try-harder.

I'm having to lend my friend "The Kingmaker" after this as apparantly watching it ruined her Christmas.

Oh come on. Ok most of you thought it was bad and I completely disagree, but hey we all have different opinions. But watching this ruined her Christmas?! :)

Oh come on. Ok most of you thought it was bad and I completely disagree, but hey we all have different opinions. But watching this ruined her Christmas?! :)

Apparantly it did, as she'd been really looking forward to it and then she found it so bad it was crushing. If you like Doctor Who and don't like Christmas (I don't know if this is true in her case, admittadly), then anticipation for it could make the day slightly more bearable. Which makes it all the more crushing when it comes on and its a tedious, horrible dirge. But I'm not her, so I don't really know what I can say in response to this, other than she did seem very distressed.

Still, I got the Excelis CDs for Christmas and apparantly Excelis Decays is awful even if you like Sylvester McCoy's acting, and as I can't stand it I'll get back to you come the new year. Perhaps after that I'll think VotD is a work of utter genius.

Were the other Christmas specials the same length because this felt so much longer? I watched it will three kids and none of them liked it either so at least they have some standards. I was mildly looking forward to S4 but Tate's Cockney performance in the trailer was enough to make me not bother with it (over reaction maybe but I really can't stand her).

According to Wikipedia both The Christmas Invasion and The Runaway Bride were 60 minutes, and Voyage of the Damned was 71.

I didn't realise until today that it wasn't the Titanic, but a spaceship. I mean...

titanic1024pp4.jpg

51zmwhtaatlaa240or1.jpg

Surely?

And a Total Existence Failure is a bit more interesting a threat than an exploding thermonuclear engine. :)

Jesus Christ, people will find anything to complain about. It was great fun. It was an obvious attempt to make a christmassy disaster film in the style of Dr Who, and it managed it very well.

I swear, unless the show is full of constant references to Gallifrey and other Old Who references or about philosophy/theoretical physics some people just get all snooty about it. I bet kids (AKA the show's actual target demographic) would love an hour and a half long discussion of Gallifreyan parking violations.

This show was a great knockabout adventure, which is perfect for Christmas.

Jesus Christ, people will find anything to complain about. It was great fun. It was an obvious attempt to make a christmassy disaster film in the style of Dr Who, and it managed it very well.

I swear, unless the show is full of constant references to Gallifrey and other Old Who references or about philosophy/theoretical physics some people just get all snooty about it. I bet kids (AKA the show's actual target demographic) would love an hour and a half long discussion of Gallifreyan parking violations.

Spot on.

I have to admit shrinking in my skin during that Godawful scene where The Doctor walks out of the explosions. It was like they hired Michael Bay to direct it.

Was it rubbish? No. Could it have been so much better? Definitely.

I thought Kylie's casting was a pointless stunt - there was nothing wrong with her performance, but she added nothing to the role which, I think, would've been far more effective with a lesser-known actress. Clive Swift was very good though, and Tennant's performance wasn't overplayed too much.

That bit with Buckingham Palace was a fucking embarrassment though - on par with belching wheelie-bins.

Cobblers. Unquiet Dead, Blink, Girl in the Fireplace, Father's Day, take your pick - the best of the new Who has had nothing to do with the Doctor's history, but they were well written, paced and acted. The best thing about the best episodes is that in spite of being aimed at kids (which the show should be) they display some intelligence. There is nothing good that can be said about last night's episode, it was pure melodrama. Certainly not 'in the style of Dr Who' (although much of S3 seemed to be heading the same way).