Doctor Who

FishyFish

Or a brilliant one that only you and I watch. Which would you prefer?

To be honest they might both spell the end for Doctor Who for entirely different reasons. I actually think the show is critically important to the BBC now, to the point that if it becomes too populist I'm slightly worried it might be used as an excuse to axe the licence fee. The show seems to me in a nightmare position of having to be both popular and critically acclaimed, and I worry that it might be veering a tad too much in the popular direction. This wouldn't matter if it wasn't on the BBC, but as it is and it is a flagship programme I'd say if series 4 is popular and shit, the future of the show may paradoxically be in just as much jeopardy as if it's not watched very much but fantastic.

To be honest they might both spell the end for Doctor Who for entirely different reasons. I actually think the show is critically important to the BBC now, to the point that if it becomes too populist I'm slightly worried it might be used as an excuse to axe the licence fee. The show seems to me in a nightmare position of having to be both popular and critically acclaimed, and I worry that it might be veering a tad too much in the popular direction. This wouldn't matter if it wasn't on the BBC, but as it is and it is a flagship programme I'd say if series 4 is popular and shit, the future of the show may paradoxically be in just as much jeopardy as if it's not watched very much but fantastic.

The only solution to this paradox is to dump that post in a parallel universe and pretend it never happened.

The only solution to this paradox is to dump that post in a parallel universe and pretend it never happened.

Fiff.

In extremely distantly related to Doctor Who news, John Simm looked extremely embarassed on Jools Holland, so I felt sorry for him. I keep thinking Jools looks a bit like an evil, bloated Sylvester McCoy, which has nothing really to do with the preceeding sentance.

On a lighter note, just got in from a killer Hogmanay party. Did anyone in Scotland see The Doctor wishing people a happy new year just after the bells? On the telly like! I thought that was a nice touch.

Just watched the repeat of VotD. I was a little harsh on it first time around, because I was ill. I thought that was fucking fantastic. Much better than last year's. Real good lot of fun, and I actually felt for poor ol' Astrid as she fell to her 'death'. Top stuff.

I just watched most of the re-run, came in late rather than stopped watching :D. I think it's the best of the three Christmas specials. Astrid's death is reminiscent of Jack's in the film Titanic, when he slips away underwater the image is very similar to that as Astrid falls into the abyss.

There's LOADS of joy in my life and, in most cases when I argue on Who or whatever, I always point out the positives as well as the negatives. Accidentally nowadays I do switch to college tutor more than I'd like and end up deconstructing a bit too much (although that may change next year as I go back to writing more than teaching), but that doesn't stop me having fun with TV and film when funs to be had. The script let down the special and the review put it very nicely, so hey, there's another positive :D

Loads of joy mate, LOADS :)

good good I was worried about you there, happy new year folks

Theft.

The concept's hardly new, a former Who scriptwriter, Douglas Adams, had already explored the idea.

http://www.starshiptitanic.com/

'At the centre of the galaxy, a vast, unknown civilisation is preparing for an event of epic proportions--the launch of the greatest, most gorgeous, most technologically advanced spaceship ever built--the Starship Titanic. Leovinus, the galaxy's most renowned architect and designer of the craft, notices something is not quite right just before the ship is launched: poor workmanship, cybersystems out of control, and robots walking into doors. The maiden voyage goes horribly wrong as the Titanic veers off course and crashes towards Earth.'

I was joking.

Taking the piss out of your rationale, fella. Cos it's nuts.

It's not nuts because it's my own personal view that the more popular something is, the more likely it is to be shite. I hate soaps. I despise Strictly Come Dancing, The X Factor, Big Brother or anything else that thinks humiliating people or the banality of the average life passes as entertainment, yet they are phenomenally popular. If Who was consistently well written (as the originals were) and was also a ratings winner, that'd be nice to know as an aside, but the fact that it's getting more popular the camper and dumber it becomes is nothing to celebrate IMO.

I'm quite looking forward to Torchwood even though I didn't really get on with the first series.

When I watched the re-run of the christmas special it struck me as a bit odd that the Doctor was a bit "meh" about Earth when Astrid was marvelling at being on another planet. He's spent 2 series marvelling at everything we do. Why the change of heart?

Torchwood is a massive hit over there (relatively speaking, in BBC America terms), right?

No idea. I've heard from a couple of USA mates that the "gay" content of the show shocked some people (or got others tuning in due to hype).

But given they've only just finished Season 1 about 6 weeks ago, there must be some reason why they're showing Season 2 so soon after the UK (2 weeks at a guesstimate)

I'm quite looking forward to Torchwood even though I didn't really get on with the first series.

When I watched the re-run of the christmas special it struck me as a bit odd that the Doctor was a bit "meh" about Earth when Astrid was marvelling at being on another planet. He's spent 2 series marvelling at everything we do. Why the change of heart?

I took it that he was rather distracted by the fact he thought something wasn't right. The strangeness of no people being about meant he couldn't join in with the marvelling

Not sure if this has been mentioned before, but just a quick note to say that UKTV Drama is showing the Tom Baker Who's at 12:20pm and 5pm every day, starting with 'Robot' yesterday. I only got into Who via the RTD versions so these are great to see where the phenomenom started. You can see Tennant got a lot of influence from Baker for his style for my money.

Davros Sock Drawer - State of Decay is up there with City of Death and The Invasion if you ask me. It's marvellously focused, with great baddies and a phenomenal third episode...

State of Decay is one of only three OldWho serials I've actually enjoyed rather than being bored rigid by (the other two being City of Death and Revelation of the Daleks). I think it's because it's the only one I've seen which isn't paced so slowly as to turn a youngster like me right off.

EDIT: I should add that I haven't seen much OldWho simply because most of the episodes regarded as classics that I've seen I've found almost unbearably dull and often very shallow. "The Green Death" stands out as being the most boring thing I've ever seen on television, which is quite a feat given it's about giant maggots. I genuinely don't understand how anyone could like it, but again I think that's because I wasn't around for the days of glacial pacing.