Doctor Who

FishyFish

Disappointed with the Voyage of the Damned, RTD just grabbed a few random thoughts and chucked them at the paper to see what would stick... even the references to the previous Christmas episodes couldn't save it.

Some interesting stuff in the trailer though.

EDIT: I should add that I haven't seen much OldWho simply because most of the episodes regarded as classics that I've seen I've found almost unbearably dull and often very shallow. "The Green Death" stands out as being the most boring thing I've ever seen on television, which is quite a feat given it's about giant maggots. I genuinely don't understand how anyone could like it, but again I think that's because I wasn't around for the days of glacial pacing.

I'm not a fan of Jon Pertwee Who in general, and The Green Death is indeed rubbish. The only Pertwee episode I really like is Inferno, which ironically is nicely paced despite being 7 episodes long.

Have you seen Horror of Fang Rock, Robots of Death or Caves of Androzani? All of those zip along quite nicely, and Horror of Fang Rock is still my favourite Who story.

I'm not a fan of Jon Pertwee Who in general, and The Green Death is indeed rubbish. The only Pertwee episode I really like is Inferno, which ironically is nicely paced despite being 7 episodes long.

Pertwee's Doctor is my least favourite by a country mile. It's ironic that despite him looking the part so much, his characterisation is such that to me he doesn't seem like the Doctor at all but some extremely dull man. Who drives a stupid car with "WHO 1" on the number plate and keeps the TARDIS in a fucking office. Urgh, he's genuinely the only one I find utterly irredeemable.

Have you seen Horror of Fang Rock, Robots of Death or Caves of Androzani? All of those zip along quite nicely, and Horror of Fang Rock is still my favourite Who story.

I've seen Caves, and to be honest I can't stand it and find it almost crushingly dull. I really don't like the way Robert Holmes writes; I've no idea why literally all Who Fandom worships him.

A Simon Pegg action figure! Is there going to be one of Jessica Hynes' character as well? I've just realised a nice side-effect of Doctor Who is that it may result in action figures of sci-fied up versions of the entire cast of some niche shows. Anyway, I'm irrationally excited about that. I think I'll buy him and the Colin Baker one then enact them living in a flat in Luton together.

Plus they're going to be releasing a Sycorax Soldier, a Pig Slave, The Editor (from The Long Game), a 'dirty' Dalek (from Dalek) and Donna Noble. No pictures of these yet..

You're not quite at the cutting edge here I'm afraid Jerellis. Good picture of the Sycorax Warrior, Editor etc here:

http://www.doctorwhotoys.net/news.htm

The blurry picture on that site of the new figures on a shelf was taken in the shop I get most of my Who figures from, on The Strand. I went in and asked him about them and he was a bit cagey about how he had them so early. Collectors eh? He told me he immediately buys two of each figure (and action set, helmets etc). One to keep and one to play with. He looked aghast when I said I open mine immediately. :wub:

I've got far too many now, it's ridiculous.

Edit: There was an Editor figure on eBay recently too:

27fd_1.JPG

Pertwee's Doctor is my least favourite by a country mile. It's ironic that despite him looking the part so much, his characterisation is such that to me he doesn't seem like the Doctor at all but some extremely dull man. Who drives a stupid car with "WHO 1" on the number plate and keeps the TARDIS in a fucking office. Urgh, he's genuinely the only one I find utterly irredeemable.

I've seen Caves, and to be honest I can't stand it and find it almost crushingly dull. I really don't like the way Robert Holmes writes; I've no idea why literally all Who Fandom worships him.

Really? I think Caves is quite rivetting when he's trying to save Peri at the end, and the cliffhanger when he's crashing the ship into the planet is awesome.

Horror of Fang Rock is a Terrance Dicks story I think, so maybe you'll like that.

State of Decay is one of only three OldWho serials I've actually enjoyed rather than being bored rigid by (the other two being City of Death and Revelation of the Daleks). I think it's because it's the only one I've seen which isn't paced so slowly as to turn a youngster like me right off.

EDIT: I should add that I haven't seen much OldWho simply because most of the episodes regarded as classics that I've seen I've found almost unbearably dull and often very shallow. "The Green Death" stands out as being the most boring thing I've ever seen on television, which is quite a feat given it's about giant maggots. I genuinely don't understand how anyone could like it, but again I think that's because I wasn't around for the days of glacial pacing.

The Daemons, Robot, Genesis of the Daleks, Pirate Planet, Logopolis are personal faves. Fang Rock like the rest much better as a book.

Really? I think Caves is quite rivetting when he's trying to save Peri at the end, and the cliffhanger when he's crashing the ship into the planet is awesome.

I think it's because I don't care about or believe in any of the supporting characters, and so listening to them talk for ages about their political situation is Not Very Fun. The "But wait! He was actually a robot who just looked exactly the same as the character!" thing is also something grating that I'd imagine any other writer would be mocked for. I do like the first three and last three minutes or so, but that's about it.

Do you like Sci-fi at all...? Or television, for that matter?

Caves is bad because it tells a story about characters that aren't the main characters - is that what you're saying?

Not at all, just that I found the characters in Caves to be extremely dull. I'm sure other people didn't, but hooray, opinions.

Thinking about it, it probably is a very good example of what it is, and I shouldn't have criticised it for technical reasons. I just don't really like what it is, which sadly seems to hold true for pretty much all of "serious" Classic Who. I think it's probably to do with the theatre-based conventions of the scripts jarring with me as someone growing up just as scripting was re-inventing itself; while I find a lot about the old show compelling, at the same time I don't think I really click with the way dramas were structured then. I think that's why audio Who appeals so strongly to me; it's written for the most part completely differently but all the things I like about the show are very much there. So that's probably why.

Sticking my neck out again here, and this could end up as a repeat of the convo in here 7 or so months ago, but I listened to the commentaries of Daleks in Manhatten and Evolution of the Daleks last night and.. I fucking love those episodes. Whatever you think about the stories themselves, never have the Daleks ever been shot so well. The script, their movement, the direction - they just look and feel masterly. Superb stuff.

I thought the story as a whole was tat, and that pig guy's make up embarrassing, but I agree about the daleks; I thought they were great fun in it...well, the pepperpot versions, anyhow; not so much the tadger-head.

I far preferred the filming of the Dalek in S1 to the Travesty two parter from memory. The set was better in Travesty but the playfulness of the lighting, every shot of the Dalek looking from one side of a room to another when the camera was close up on the eye pod and the change from chained, hammered dalek back to cool killing machine was (visually) very nicely handled. SImilarly every shot of the blue Wii light start up of the Dalek coming in and out of shadow was just amazing at the time and makes me want to watch that now... Story wise Dalek clobbers Travesty pretty mercilessly as well (although it's not perfect I grant you, but it was fun and the things that fell down weren't deal breakers or vastly important, just things it was a shame weren't done a little better whereas with Travesty it was easier to count the things that weren't as badly done as the rest of the ep).

But hey, opinions eh? Actually I have a few hours at the drawing board today may stick that on in the background while I'm working and see if my dislike for those 2 eps has softened at all...

But hey, opinions eh? Actually I have a few hours at the drawing board today may stick that on in the background while I'm working and see if my dislike for those 2 eps has softened at all...

I dont think I'll be rewatching them in any hurry, same goes for the Cyber 2 parter in S2. The worst thing is sitting down and having a pint with Helen Raynor, I mentioned not a word of my dislike for her tale. It would be rude too though wouldnt it :lol:

... It'd be rude to and I admire your restraint. Only one pint eh? Well done.

Wifey watched it at the time and said at the end of it words to the effect that women shouldn't write Sci fi which I took as being vaguely sexist but to which gender I couldn't quite suss out which. That said my favourite worst book, the one I keep on the shelf to read when I need to smile is Wagontrain to the stars by Diane Carey which is the best example of worst opening paragraph ever (and can be found here under excerpt.)

Don't read or watch enough sci fi to say either way, nor do I care one way or the other, but it was the first thing wifey pointed out which I thought was quite interesting...

She's doing an ep for next series isn't she? Does anyone know which one? Not that I want to dismiss it before it's even written, I'm just interested to see whether Travesty was in or out of form.

She's doing an ep for next series isn't she? Does anyone know which one? Not that I want to dismiss it before it's even written, I'm just interested to see whether Travesty was in or out of form.

To be honest her Torchwood episodes were much better, although the Daleks in the S3 2 parter as has been mentioned very written pretty well. Its just Sausage head and Pigboy that ruin it for me.

I'm not sure if she has a S4 Who episode she defo has some S2 Torchwood coming up though.

Ok... well, I guess we'll see how that one comes out. I knew it was a two parter (that's allegedly been mentioned although that's from the wiki) so had a worry that it might be the

Planet of the Ood

ones so that's something. Is the

Sontarun

one a two pater as well then? I'm not following what the eps are that much but there'll be a few carry over eps next series then..

Wiki says that Planet of the Ood is a one parter; the non-Sontaran non-finale two-parter this year is by Steven Moffat, excitingly. Also, the guy who did Severance has written an episode, which I did not know.

EDIT: Oh, I misread your post, ccat, so never mind. I wasn't expecting

Martha to come back as soon as episode 4. How are they handling that?

I far preferred the filming of the Dalek in S1 to the Travesty two parter from memory. The set was better in Travesty but the playfulness of the lighting, every shot of the Dalek looking from one side of a room to another when the camera was close up on the eye pod and the change from chained, hammered dalek back to cool killing machine was (visually) very nicely handled. SImilarly every shot of the blue Wii light start up of the Dalek coming in and out of shadow was just amazing at the time and makes me want to watch that now... Story wise Dalek clobbers Travesty pretty mercilessly as well (although it's not perfect I grant you, but it was fun and the things that fell down weren't deal breakers or vastly important, just things it was a shame weren't done a little better whereas with Travesty it was easier to count the things that weren't as badly done as the rest of the ep).

I think it you watch back, even if you still hate the story - which I think is leagues ahead of the Cyberman two parter, which I've enjoyed less and less everytime it's been repeated on UK Gold and such - you can't deny that the Daleks themselves look supreme in it. Shot amazingly.