Doctor Who

FishyFish

Maybe I'm being stupid but why are those in the order they are? It's not like they're in order of audience size or anything. According to that, Voyage of the Damned should be third in the list, not first.

Chart postion. So it reflects the proportion of the public watching it.

All this ratings bullshit makes me ill. It's irrelevant. It fucking maddens me. All it means is that Doctor Who guest starring Kylie Minogue is a big draw on Christmas day. It says nothing about the quality of the show. It says nothing about anything.

EDIT: In fact, Ark in Space pt2 is has the highest rating of any Who ever - bloody hell!

Nope, that's an episode of the brilliant 'City of Death' which got over 16 million - but because ITV was just a blank screen at the time due to a strike, it doesn't really count. Especially as, even with 16 million, it was still only at something like No. 20 for the week.

'Ark in Space' is ace, though.

All this ratings bullshit makes me ill. It's irrelevant. It fucking maddens me. All it means is that Doctor Who guest starring Kylie Minogue is a big draw on Christmas day. It says nothing about the quality of the show. It says nothing about anything.

It says nothing about the quality, but it does say something about the security of the show's future. That's pretty obvious. You can be sure, for instance, that if VotD had only pulled in 5 million on Christmas Day, the next yuletide commission would not be a certainty.

I didn't enjoy every episode in the first series, but had they not performed well ratings wise and had the merchandise not taken off, Series Three would never have made it out the door and we wouldn't have enjoyed Human Nature or Blink last year. The need for Doctor Who's mainstream momentum to continue is imperative to those future classic episodes making it to our screens, and ratings are a good signifier of how the show is doing. While VotD was not my favourite Who episode of all time, I did think it was a good piece of entertaining Christmas TV, and I can't help but be pleased that over 13 million people tuned in.

Nope. But what has that got to do with anything? It doesn't mean we can't talk about it, simply because it was expected to do well. And I don't think anyone expected it to do quite that well - it was the second most watched episode of anything on British TV last year.

The confusion starts when people start assuming that this means people are being triumphant about the quality of the episode in question - I enjoyed VotD, but I thought it had plenty of faults. But I don't see what's so terrible about talking about its success in the ratings - these things are obviously important, because had Doctor Who and Kylie Minogue not pulled in a big audience on Christmas Day, it would be a good sign that something was wrong with the series full stop.

Nope. But what has that got to do with anything? It doesn't mean we can't talk about it, simply because it was expected to do well.

I didn't say we shouldn't talk about it. You said that the figures illustrated the shows security (which it does) but the shows security at present has not been put in any doubt at all and it would hardly be put under major scrutiny if a one off special didn't pull in the expected audience. It is the BBCs cashcow both here and abroad and there was never any evidence that this Christmas special was not going to do well.

I didn't say we shouldn't talk about it. You said that the figures illustrated the shows security (which it does) but the shows security at present has not been put in any doubt at all and it would hardly be put under major scrutiny if a one off special didn't pull in the expected audience. It is the BBCs cashcow both here and abroad and there was never any evidence that this Christmas special was not going to do well.

It's all part of the same machine, though. That's my point. Ratings, merchanise, overseas sales. I don't think there's anything wrong with keeping an eye on all these elements.

The reapers were entirely due to to Rose saving her Dad. The Doctor mentions that before Gallifrey went pop, the Time Lords kept the timeline in check by preventing anything like that from happening, except for a few significant exceptions. Without them, the Reapers were essentially nature's way of doing the same thing, "cleaning the wound".

Anyway, as I understand Whoniverse time travel, anything goes unless it causes a paradox.

Gotcha ;)

Nearly finished 'Feast of the Damned' now - it's probably the most gruesome of all the ones I've read so far. The Doctor is overly punny in it though, which is starting to grate.

I'm burning my way through the last few episodes of the Torchwood season one box-set in preparation for Wednesday night. I've just watched Random Shoes again, and bloody hell is it good! I didn't think it was anything special first time around, but this time I had tears in my eyes at one point. It's definitely Torchwood at its best.

Wow. I'd forgotten just how good Out Of Time was as well. Brilliant concept, great acting and a beautiful score. This is why I have such high hopes for the next season, as when Torchwood is at its best, it's bloody awesome.

It's a shame about the pacing, really. It does seem to go on and on to me. The bit with the gassing is still fantastic, though.

Personally I didn't have a problem with the pacing. It never felt like there needed to be any sense of urgency, so it all just seemed to flow at natural pace, giving the characters room to breathe.

And finally, the dodgy plastic used for the Professor Yana, Master and Doctor in Pentallion Space Suit figures last year will not be used for any other figures, and those three figures will eventually be re-released using the regular plastic of the other figures. Glad I held off buying the Yana and Master figures now, although I did manage to snap up what appeared to be the only decent looking example of the dodgy plastic Pentallion Doctor in Britain, which will now probably become a collector's item and make me RICH.

:o

I wondered why they looked so odd and waxy. I bought the Pentalion Doctor the other day, and neither the helmet nor the air tube fit.

EEK!!

Further updates from doctorwhotoys.net earlier today have revealed a MASSIVE season four spoiler:

Series 4 figures should be out around June 2008. Look for a Sontaran Gift Set, 12" Sontaran figure and a Murder Mystery Set out in June. Also a new Radio Controlled Davros S4 figure available in 5" and 12" formats.

:o

;)

I knew this would happening this season - I must have called it about a hundred pages ago. FANTASTIC!!

NOTE: The spoilered text below does discuss the season 4 spoiler mentioned in the text above. You have been warned.

The entry of max in voyage of the damned felt like

a teaser for the arrival of davros, that slight pause before the reveal even though it made no sense,

I began thinking oh my god davros is going to wheel in. Appearing in that ep would've sent the fanboys apoplectic with rage but there was something so teasing about that entrance that lent itself to suggest a wheeled foe. I dunno it must've been related to camera position etc. I want davros to be more evil than ever.

The only problem with all this is that we all know that R "brilliant" T "brilliant, brilliant" D will

spoil the surprise with a radio times cover then kill him off at the end of a two parter for no real reason.

Woo.

Still, looking forward to his return though, makes all sorts of sense with the Dalek(s) as they stand.

Changing the subject a bit (hopefully I'll somehow forget that awesome spoiler), I've just finished re-watching Torchwood season one. It really does have its low points, but it's highs were actually better for me this time around. Cyberwoman, Greeks Bearing Gifts and to a lesser extent Combat were all quite awful, but everything else was good. Random Shoes, Out Of Time, Capatain Jack Harkness and End Of Days were all particularly excellent, and if the second season builds on these successes then we're in for a treat. I can only hope we're not subjected to more episodes centred around Tosh, Ianto or Owen, as while they're all fine as part of an ensemble, they really can't carry the show on their own.

RTD will doubtless ruin it. Davros personifies the evil that humans are capable of. His introduction was a masterstroke given the Daleks had already been around for years, and the justification in Destiny was again a clever twist. This time I'd put money on him having legs. Cos how else could he wear a frock?