Doctor Who

FishyFish

That whole scene was incredibly well written.

As a regular watcher of Doctor Who, a fan of genre television and irregular reader of this thread, I find this statement to be a perfect example of the strange way staunch fans of any sci-fi franchise heap praise on even their most average (or just above average) moments. When these people open their mouths, or touch their keyboards, the English language's most positive phrases are abused and bandied around constantly by the show's loudest advocates, making the show sound like mana from the typewriter gods. It gives the impression that they truly lack critical functions. Very odd. (And it happens a lot specifically in this forum's sprawling thread.)

I thought it was all pretty rubbish as expected. The scene you guys are talking about above wasn't particularly badly written, but it didn't stand out as being anything particularly special either. The scene at the beginning with the blowfish explaining who all the characters were, the fight to Blur's Song 2 and the constant uninspired sexual innuendos every time Jack and John had a conversation were particular low points.

At least this season it looks like they've given up even trying to hide the fact they're ripping off Angel.

I thought the blowfish bit was pretty good...

the kiss with masters was bigrolleyes. See - this stuff worked really well in season 1, when Jack met 'himself' and fell for him. That was good.

The masters bit controversial for controversy's sake - and suffered for it.

Controversial? :unsure:

Like I said earlier, I'd have been surpried if Jack's former partner in crime wasn't also his lover. Would it have been controversial if his partner was female?

hmmm - watched it last night and I'm not sure.

Masters is 'interesting' - but the whole end sequence was really contrived. If I was handcuffed to a psychopath who was about to explode I'd get my buddies to shoot him, chop off his hand and then chuck him in the rift. So that whole sequence annoyed me.

The "do you want to go to a movie" bit annoyed me as well - so spectacularly out of place. I'm not sure I like the way Jack's character has changed. In the first series he was dark and pissed off for being left behind - now he's seen the Doctor and come back, he's more the cheeky chap type who'd be completely incapable of running something like torchwood.

We'll see how it goes but it wasn't as good as the original series opener (although still didn't reach the depths of Cyberwoman)

Masters is 'interesting' - but the whole end sequence was really contrived. If I was handcuffed to a psychopath who was about to explode I'd get my buddies to shoot him, chop off his hand and then chuck him in the rift. So that whole sequence annoyed me.

There was a tiny bit of dialogue that got lost in the horrendous sound mix which said they couldn't chop his hand off or the device would explode. I think it came just as we shouted 'Just chop his hand off!'

I thought the blowfish bit was pretty good...

the kiss with masters was bigrolleyes. See - this stuff worked really well in season 1, when Jack met 'himself' and fell for him. That was good.

I think the only way that scene was controversial was if you just find mano et mano kisses full stop a bit controversial. They were obviously former lovers - made sense to me.

I think their saying "Jack+Ianto = Janto".

It's hip and trendy. Like "Benifer".

Please no.

The first episode of Torchwood, Kiss Kiss Bang Bang scored an Appreciation Index figure of 84. The programme was one of the most appreciated of the day.

The Appreciation Index, or AI, is a measure of how much the audience liked the programme. It is a score out of 100, based on responses from a carefully selected panel. The average score for drama on BBC1 and ITV1 is 77. A score in excess of 85 is regarded as excellent while a score below 60 is poor.

Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang went down rather well then.

One for Boyatsea...

The top ten programmes of 2007 by ratings:

1) EastEnders (25 December 2007) - 14.38m

2) Doctor Who (25 December 2007) - 13.31m

3) Rugby World Cup Final (20 October 2007) - 13.13m

4) Coronation Street (15 January 2007) - 13.08m

5) The Vicar Of Dibley (1 January 2007) - 13.08m

6) The X Factor Results (15 December 2007) - 12.23m

7) Concert For Diana (1 July 2007) - 12.22m

:( Strictly Come Dancing (22 December 2007) - 12.09m

9) Britain's Got Talent (17 June 2007) - 11.58m

10) Match Of The Day Live: England v Croatia (21 November 2007) - 11.19m

Out of the entire decade so far, the same episode currently sits in 38th place. No other episodes make the top 50.

Figures nabbed from Off the Telly.

They've replaced Spike with Buffy, suddenly no one cares about the ham fisted 'adult' theme as the only reason people had problems with it were because of homophobia. Not that it's a cross between Sex And The City and Red Dwarf, oh no.

I think I'll have an early night with a cup of cocoa and a book.

p.s. I like Red Dwarf.

So does anyone know about the edited version of Torchwood (7pm BBC)? It seems to be the same length so if they're removing 'adult' stuff they must be replacing it with something else. It even might be better for it!

They'll just stick a couple of extra adverts in before and after the show. There won't be "new" bits.

They've replaced Spike with Buffy, suddenly no one cares about the ham fisted 'adult' theme as the only reason people had problems with it were because of homophobia. Not that it's a cross between Sex And The City and Red Dwarf, oh no.

I think I'll have an early night with a cup of cocoa and a book.

p.s. I like Red Dwarf.

I also have no idea what this post means.

Well, people seem to think that other people have a problem with it because of homophobia. However, if you put a woman in there in place of James Masters, it would still be an awful show in the style of Sex and the City, or Charmed, or Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

I really wanted it to be a good show, and ran with it through all of last year. I was going to do the same this year, but I realised I can't stand the type of television it is. I wasn't that big a fan of the X-Files, for example, but it was watchable. It would have been horrendous if Mulder and Scully were constantly going on about shagging characters in the show, and each other. There just simply aren't any good examples of the genre, in my opinion.

Well, people seem to think that other people have a problem with it because of homophobia. However, if you put a woman in there in place of James Masters, it would still be an awful show in the style of Sex and the City, or Charmed, or Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

You only need to watch a great episode of Buffy next to any ep of Torchwood to see the difference in quality. Buffy wasn't always that good, but when it hit a high, it was quite a fucking high.

I think you're doing the listed shows a bit of a disservice there, except possibly for Charmed which I haven't seen and have heard nothing but bad things about. I think the problems with Jack'n'John's horrendous innuendolouges were to do with how forced and tired they seemed and how they seemed in John's case to exist in place of an actual character. I don't think there's any problem with a scene that's based arounf innuendo provided it's done in a clever way, and not in a desperate one.

I'll forgive Torchwood everything if Ianto gets a furious monologue about precisely this later in the series, as he strikes me as the sort of person who'd get annoyed by this sort of thing as well.

I really wanted it to be a good show, and ran with it through all of last year. I was going to do the same this year, but I realised I can't stand the type of television it is. I wasn't that big a fan of the X-Files, for example, but it was watchable. It would have been horrendous if Mulder and Scully were constantly going on about shagging characters in the show, and each other. There just simply aren't any good examples of the genre, in my opinion.

Problem is the show can be good (They Keep Killing Suzie, Out of Time, and Captain JackHarkness last season were really good - brilliant IMO)...it's just a struggle through the rubbish in between.

I think tonight could be important. Last week did suffer with "re-introduction", so let's see how the first "proper" episode feels.

Thirded, still can't decipher that even with the explanation.

Which I sort of get sort of don't. The homophobia retort is as cheap as its inclusion often feels to me, just a ham fisted way of trying to generate a little tittle tattle... Haven't had a chance to see Torchy 1 yet, manic week so all things like simple tv watching (and Torchwood was pretty simple the eps I caught last year) have gone out of the window. I am at the drawing board all of tonight though so may give it a shot... Is ep 1 on freeview catchup at all? I tried it on iplayer but it refuses to work on my mac.

That said it does depend on whether I'm a: getting enough work done and b: in the right sort of mood for it. I keep hearing the abysmal trail on 5live and it's so stilted, unsubtle and vapid (although there is the germ of a good idea in there) that I'm may well get to 9 and see what else is on.

So does anyone know about the edited version of Torchwood (7pm BBC)? It seems to be the same length so if they're removing 'adult' stuff they must be replacing it with something else. It even might be better for it!

Well, this is the first chance i've had to catch Episode 1.

Damn that Russell T Davies and his obsession with homosexuality and the big screen!

I cant take this program seriously. When is the next Alien going to be snogged or fondled?!!

I realise some of you might find it " Beautiful " and good for you if you do.