Doctor Who

FishyFish

Meanwhile, Torchwood proving popular on BBC Two: -

Episode Two of Torchwood, Sleeper achieved an overnight rating of 3.4 million viewers, a 14% share of the television audience. The programme was the highest rated for the day on BBC2 and the 18th most watched programme across the channels.

The edited repeat of Episode One, Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang got an audience of 1.1 million and Torchwood Declassified got 1.0 million viewers.

With figures available for the whole of last week, episode one finished as the highest rated programme on BBC2 for the week, beating the second placed Masterchef by 800,000 viewers.

That's not a bad retention rate at all!

It's very good. I don't know why the show's on BBC2, to be honest. They should stick it on BBC1 at 9pm. Amazing how even in this multi-channel age, that would automatically add 2 million viewers who are too thick to use a remote control.

Much better than the first episode. The tiresome innuendo gags were toned down considerably and they tried to actually tell a story this week. Having said that I'm not sure the story really filled the running time all that well but it had encouraging signs. I think this is the first time I haven't wanted to kill all the members of Torchwood.

The writer of last nights episode has a blog too (he wrote the film Severance).

http://jamesmoran.blogspot.com/

Thought last nights was a bit slow to be honest. My ex was visiting and she hadn't seen Torchwood before (and thinks Dr Who is childish). I thought if she saw Torchwood she might be converted to that show at least, as she likes sci-fi in general. But she was bored and wanted me to switch channels halfway through.

My girlfriend made me those the other day as well!

She was pestering me to try them, but I had a bad day so I wasn't too really bothered in anything, though I tried them anyway. You're right, they were pretty horrid, but it's the thought that counts I suppose.

The writer of last nights episode has a blog too (he wrote the film Severance).

http://jamesmoran.blogspot.com/

He's a real-life chum of mine, so I watched TW last night for the first time ever.

Considering the limitations imposed by a programme designed to appeal exclusively to lonely fat girls in faded Red Dwarf t-shirts, he did an pretty good job. Cheesy action with a couple of good gags. I loved the 'phones down' bit.

Torchwood is awful.

People that watch it somehow try and convince themselves that it is a meanigful investment of 40 odd minutes. Compared to the best of the output from the other side of the pond it can't even do ten press ups never mind run a marathon.

It would have been canceled before it was able to broadcast five full epsiodes over in the States then sent over here to the sci fi channel for perpetual repeats.

LET THE SLEDGING BEGIN! ;)

Torchwood is awful.

People that watch it somehow try and convince themselves that it is a meanigful investment of 40 odd minutes. Compared to the best of the output from the other side of the pond it can't even do ten press ups never mind run a marathon.

It would have been canceled before it was able to broadcast five full epsiodes over in the States then sent over here to the sci fi channel for perpetual repeats.

LET THE SLEDGING BEGIN! ;)

But isn't it actually doing quite well in the states?

Well thats me silenced then. ;)

I'm not a fan of it we'll just leave it at that but then again I think the new Dr Who is overrated gubbins most of the time.

I also dont agree that we are somehow living through the second Golden Age of America Televison as certain critics like to infer

Is Dr Who and his explots very popular in the USA?

My ex was visiting and she hadn't seen Torchwood before (and thinks Dr Who is childish). I thought if she saw Torchwood she might be converted to that show at least....

Ha! You thought Torchwood would be seen as being more adult? :D;) In doing the whole 'LOOK AT ME I'M SO ADULT' it always strikes me as pretty infantile from the eps I've seen.

That said I'm trying to persuade wifey to watch an ep (although she'd have hated last nights) to see what she thinks. I did have a bit of a Q and A with the AS level kids today about it (I miss the deconstruction sessions with the BA students they were always loads of scathing fun) but tbh they just thought it wasn't worth talking about which surprised me as they're the core audience I would have thought.

And that also said I did like the Ianto line about the phones being down. I thought the script, at some points, was good from ep 2, just wasn't served well by the actors or the filmakers. I did like the part where the bomb exploded and the mum was thrown into the car by the blast, which was very effective, but then you get to the cheesy bombs in the warehouse bit and it's like it's directed by two (or more) different people who aren't communicating very well. Ultraviolet did all of this so much better with so much less money and backing. sad that they couldn't have got some of the talent from that to have backed up Torchy, but I guess it was easier to pick up the guys and gals who had been sacked from Blue Peter or whatever it was.

Maybe it wants to be enigmatic.

And that also said I did like the Ianto line about the phones being down. I thought the script, at some points, was good from ep 2, just wasn't served well by the actors or the filmakers.

I agree with this. In places I thought the script was really very strong and ahead of almost anything else written for the show so far.

And that also said I did like the Ianto line about the phones being down. I thought the script, at some points, was good from ep 2, just wasn't served well by the actors or the filmakers. I did like the part where the bomb exploded and the mum was thrown into the car by the blast, which was very effective, but then you get to the cheesy bombs in the warehouse bit and it's like it's directed by two (or more) different people who aren't communicating very well. Ultraviolet did all of this so much better with so much less money and backing. sad that they couldn't have got some of the talent from that to have backed up Torchy, but I guess it was easier to pick up the guys and gals who had been sacked from Blue Peter or whatever it was.

Eh?

Torchwood is awful.

LET THE SLEDGING BEGIN! :lol:

They like the "Englishness" of it all, apparently. Ironic, since it's set in Cardiff.

We watched Torchwood episode 2 last night and thought it was pretty good. It's better when it has a proper story to tell, and as everyone's said Ianto is now a completely different (and much better) character. I'm surprised nobody's mentioned his "end of the world" line but perhaps that's because it was on last week's preview. And I agree with c-cat the bomb which threw the woman onto the car bonnet was a great and very effective shot (but over so quickly) as was the other woman walking away from her pram to the sound of screeching tyres.

I just wonder if its two series worth that they are filming in one block. Have 12 eps in spring, followed by the rest in the autumn. It's also handy having that amount done and in the can so if it does get cancelled due to cost or whatever then they still have enough done.

I thought the episode intimated that the aliens couldn't procreate with humans. So how do you explain the mum with the buggy? True, she could have been a "nanny" but she had that stereotypical chav mum look about her!

I just watched it again, and there was no such suggestion. She asks if she can have kids, but neither Gwen or Jack have an answer. Presumably they can though.