Doctor Who

FishyFish

All good stuff. Watched it during the week in daily installments. The Zygon costumes are still damn effective, even now. Better than the Slitheen by a country mile.

Watching the old episodes again, it's great to see the little technological anachronisms. Ark in Space featured the entirety of Human history stored on microfilm, while Revenge of the Cybermen had reel-to-reel security tapes on the Nerva Beacon. :lol:

All good stuff. Watched it during the week in daily installments. The Zygon costumes are still damn effective, even now. Better than the Slitheen by a country mile.

Watching the old episodes again, it's great to see the little technological anachronisms. Ark in Space featured the entirety of Human history stored on microfilm, while Revenge of the Cybermen had reel-to-reel security tapes on the Nerva Beacon. :lol:

Some are really great. Pirate Planet really surprised me. I got most on DVD from the last UK Gold run but missed Zygons.

I don't suppose they'll be showing the Dalek ones?

Update on my Eighth Doctor marathon - currently on The Fall of Yqatin. It's really good, partcularly Compassion - I think I'm starting to see why cassidy hates The Ancestor Cell so much because she's become incredbly interesting as a character, very comic book anti hero.

See for me the thing is with the 8th doctor you can either follow the book canon or the big finish canon

Personally I subscribe to the big finish canon but its a matter of personal preference I guess

Cant wait to get a figure of him!

I just prefer reading to listening.

See for me the thing is with the 8th doctor you can either follow the book canon or the big finish canon

Personally I subscribe to the big finish canon but its a matter of personal preference I guess

Theres also the complete dwm comic strip collection! So thats three 8 doctors to follow

Weird but I can't imagine reading a Doctor Who book. My reading tastes are quite highbrow, I guess. Yet I'm quite happy to listen to an audio play. I don't know why that is.

It's spanned generations for me. As a kid it was 130 pages of fun, the equivalent of the radio plays. The modern books are darker and more complex and much longer, but still doable in a day if it's a good one.

I just read and listen to the ones I like and ignore the arcs in both (as they're horrible and overblown to my ears/eyes). What then?

now...? I'm pretty sure they've always been aware of it.

True it was positively massive in late Tom, then Davidson days.

As for what sweetdaddyg, what if you got into the books before the audios even existed then? Which they do predate by a few years :P

Now there's a surprise, a Tosh episode that wasn't tosh! :P

That was an excellent change of pace, and while it wasn't as fun as the first two it still told a solid character based story. Next week's looks like a return to the alien hunting norm too, and it seems the fiancé is finally going to learn the terrible, terrible truth. :(

There's far too much possitivity in here. Isn't anyone going to moan about RTDs gay agenda or something? :(

That episode is getting downloaded tomorrow, so I can watch it again in all its glory. Torchwood's going from strength to strength at the moment. Heck, with the US writers strike in full effect, it's quite possibly the best current drama in the whole world!

Only complaint was that the last bit seemed a bit tacked on - where she had to go into his mind (cue handy alien gizmo for doing just that) and give him the final push. Just seemed like it was because they were running 5 minutes short..

Otherwise - another good solid episode and continues the massive upturn in quality it's had since last year.

I didn't like it....

The story was ok, I guess. But the whole romance thing seemed incredibly forced and rushed at the start. And althought it picked up in the middle, the last five minutes was awful.

And if time started collapsing in on itself, it would affect more than the planet surely. Whouldn't it spread through the universe? They only ever mentioned the need to save the planet. This isn't a nitpick, just something I was thinking about during the boring bits.

Only complaint was that the last bit seemed a bit tacked on - where she had to go into his mind (cue handy alien gizmo for doing just that) and give him the final push. Just seemed like it was because they were running 5 minutes short..

Nah, the writing staff would have figured out that there was little jeopardy in the "get him back" ending, because what happened was already known because of the bit at the start. So, to try to inject a little more excitement they tacked on the "mind" ending, which didn't quite work.

I enjoyed the episode, and the ghosts stuff was as creepy and effective as it always is (how many times have we seen these kind of scares in other shows? But it works...), and the romance was very nice. However, I think that after Helen Raynor turned in her first draft, the rest of the staff zoned in on the fact that there's never any doubt about the outcome. It would have been ballsier to leave it at that and ramp up the emotional intensity of Tosh's loss even further. It's quite a tragic story, after all.

Instead they decided to give us an extra 5 minutes of "it didn't work, oh noes" which, as I said above, wasn't very effective.

(I'm reading a very interesting book called "The Deep Space Nine Companion" at the moment, which goes into shitloads of background detail about the "writers' room's" problems with each episode of that series and their solutions - what did work and what didn't work, why, and what the writers were thinking. This Torchwood situation reminds me of a few of them!)

Why were the orders sealed?

I enjoyed it but it seemed like a missed opportunity. I loved the idea of the bloke living one day per year - that was more interesting than the time loop thing. None of that stuff made any sense.

I wasn't keen on the mind bit at the end. If they can do that they can project themselves anywhere back in time and space surely?