Doctor Who

FishyFish

Thought it was an ok episode, with a few standout moments (The "We're Torchwood" 1918 opener was great, and the scene where the 'ghost' nurse stops and then peers back around the corner at Gwen, was very creepy). The whole concept was a massive paradox though. Tommy was only frozen because 2008 Torchwood told 1918 Torchwood to do so, but 2008 Torchwood only knew to do this because Tommy was already in their freezer. :lol:

Also, Tommy seemed awfully attached to Tosh, despite only having known her a few days. In fact, only 90 days have passed for him since he was on the hospital ward. Still, love, eh?

Just watched it and I thought it was a strong episode. Both Who and Torchwood do this small-scale character-driven stuff so much better than they do big alien invasions and CGI. Even Tosh wasn't too bad and doesn't seem quite as wooden as she was in the last series.

Agreed that the last five minutes felt tacked on, though, as if someone in charge had decided there wasn't enough Drama! and decided to add a last-minute "crisis" that was actually less interesting than the whole of the rest of the show. Didn't spoil the episode for me though.

So: series 2 of Torchwood so far for me has been two great episodes, one stinker - which isn't too bad at all really.

I wouldn't be surprised if Torchwood this series turns out to be better than this years Dr Who.

I don't think any TV show will come close to Human Nature-The Family of Blood-Blink-Utopia for a long time, but Torchwood has had a much stronger start this year than last year.

Didn't actually realise this was a Helen Raynor episode - good going, girl!

I wasn't keen on the mind bit at the end. If they can do that they can project themselves anywhere back in time and space surely?

It was explained that that was only possible due to the time rift shinnanigans. Presumably it would normally only work across space.

I don't think any TV show will come close to Human Nature-The Family of Blood-Blink-Utopia for a long time, but Torchwood has had a much stronger start this year than last year.

Didn't actually realise this was a Helen Raynor episode - good going, girl!

change "any TV show" to "any Dr Who show" and I'll agree - but while they were *excellent* - there's been better... all of Life on Mars for example.

It was explained that that was only possible due to the time rift shinnanigans. Presumably it would normally only work across space.

So why didn't they use it last week to contact Jack when the phones were down?

Gah. As much as I :unsure: Captain Jack, I find the show pretty boring. And kinda pointless. I've yet to see a single episode that I would call 'very good.' At best I find it watchable.

But still. Captain Jack :o

... all of Life on Mars for example.

I'd agree with you with series 1, but I don't think series 2 was as strong as the strongest of Who. Especially the final episode, which I hate for several reasons, and retroactively made me like the show less Quantum Leap style. Not that I've ever seen QL.

The whole concept was a massive paradox though. Tommy was only frozen because 2008 Torchwood told 1918 Torchwood to do so, but 2008 Torchwood only knew to do this because Tommy was already in their freezer.

That's not a paradox, it's just a closed time loop. You can do all kinds of ace things with those, like make objects appear out of nowhere. It only becomes a proper paradox when a time loop becomes impossible to close.

Anyway, having just seen that, it was really fucking good. I no longer feel an ominous sense of dread at Helen Raynor's next two episodes of Who.

Just read this on the local news website

The stars are out in Swansea again as the stellar cast of the fourth series of Doctor Who film in the city.

The former central library in Alexandra Road is to take centre stage for the special two-parter, which is based on the secrets of an old abandoned library.

Acclaimed actors Alex Kingston and Colin Salmon join David Tennant and Catherine Tate for the BBC One series, due to be aired in the spring.

Filming has already taken place in Swansea's Brangwyn Hall on Monday, and could be continuing for as long as a fortnight

Acclaimed actors Alex Kingston and Colin Salmon join David Tennant and Catherine Tate

Oh God, I keep forgetting about Catherine Tate. Every time I catch myself looking forward to the next series of Doctor Who, her gurning face springs to mind and all of a sudden I feel all depressed. Even after all this time I can't see it being anything other than a complete disaster.

me too - the series trailer at the end of the Chrimbo special didn't fill me with confidence either. Compare it with the series trailer from the year before... night and day.

Anyway, Torchwood (or Touch Wood as my mate calls it) - excellent this week. Hope it keeps this standard up.

Oh God, I keep forgetting about Catherine Tate. Every time I catch myself looking forward to the next series of Doctor Who, her gurning face springs to mind and all of a sudden I feel all depressed. Even after all this time I can't see it being anything other than a complete disaster.

Mmm, I think I agree. She'd have to be exceptionally good to overcome people's natural hate of her, and on the evidence so far she isn't going to be. I'm prepared to give her the benefit of the doubt, but the doubt is still very, very large.

Steven Moffat wrote a Doctor Who short story about a library, didn't he? Is there any chance this could be based on that? I'd love to read it but it's in an out of print compilation that is expensive, so le sigh.

Continuity Errors, in Decalog 3. It's probably the best Who short story ever written.

Tired? Series 3?

You talk utter crap sometimes.

I actually watched back TSOD/LOTTL today while working. A lot better than I remembered actually. Love that "Here come the drums..." part.

I'll tell you why i'm pissing you off.. I watched the one where Rose gets sucked into the void again today. Doomsday. It was repeated on one of the channels. It was still so good. Of a higher quality than what i've become used to over the course of series 3.

Yeah, good episode. Amazing ending. I'd still take Human Nature or Blink over that though.

You're not pissing me off anymore than usual, either. You just talk rubbish in here sometimes. Like tonight. But then again, I'm sure that's true of most of us.

I'll tell you why i'm pissing you off.. I watched the one where Rose gets sucked into the void again today. Doomsday. It was repeated on one of the channels. It was still so good. Of a higher quality than what i've become used to over the course of series 3.

It was excellent, but better than Human Nature/The Family of Blood? Season 3 was by far the most consistently great series of the lot so far, while season two was the most variable. There was nothing anywhere near as bad as Fear Her for a start.

I thought series 3 was excellent, best so far - but I really REALLY do want to see a bit of travelling through time *and* space. The audience have been with The Doctor for long enough to be ready to meet people on other planets... but likely we'll see even more episodes spent around Lahndahn... and the prospect of having to do it with CT just doesn't fill me with confidence.

We'll see how it pans out.

I just know that RTD won't be able to resist an 'am I bovvered' joke.