IGNORED

Doctor Who

FishyFish

Or does the act of time travelling somehow affect your DNA?

Ooo bonus points for Roadkill there. The Key phrase you should have picked up was Biomass.

Anyway Cassidy opinion was thumbs up.

Loved the whole museum at the start then the whole Cyberman scene. I know thats one scene on the DVD I'll be pausing and zooming in to try to spot everything. I'm sure I spotted an Alien egg and a full alien head.

In answer to stu's question the way I see it was the Dalek made the choice to absorb Rose's DNA once he realised her ties with the Doctor. Maybe Time traveller biomass has more value than normal DNA hence it just burning the other's who touched it.

Was it just me or was there even more warning again that something's rotten in denmark in relation to the Doctor.

Still think their leading us the path with a few things though, like his mention of knowing their all dead. Why would any other renegade Timelord be anywhere near Gallifrey when their at war. I can understand the Doctor getting involved but a certain bearded fellow ;)

I'm sure I spotted an Alien egg and a full alien head.

So did I! I shook the thought off almost immediately, thinking it was just a figment of my imagination, so I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed/imagined it!

Wow, what an episode! For my money it's the best of the new series.

I liked how they got all the jokes out of the way like calling it a Dustbin and Pepperpot. Only for it to go on one long killing spree and using it's ruthless brain to manipulate and kill others. That electrecution bit was pure cold blooded brilliance!

Job well done to all involved!

In answer to stu's question the way I see it was the Dalek made the choice to absorb Rose's DNA once he realised her ties with the Doctor. Maybe Time traveller biomass has more value than normal DNA hence it just burning the other's who touched it.

[sad fanboy geek mode on] Just a wild theory here, but maybe the dalek could sense the link from the tardis that lets rose hear other aliens language as english? [sad fanboy geek mode off].

Also a headsup to say that if you liked that episode then the writer rob shearman has a live chat over on outpost gallifrey tomorrow at 7pm.

Was it just me or was there even more warning again that something's rotten in denmark in relation to the Doctor.

Still think their leading us the path with a few things though, like his mention of knowing their all dead. Why would any other renegade Timelord be anywhere near Gallifrey when their at war. I can understand the Doctor getting involved but a certain bearded fellow ;)

I like how they are making the Doctor seem very reluctant to face up to the time war events, in the first episode he was saying "I fought in those wars" like it was just another adventure, and now he's directly in the frame for the extermination of two races. His selective memory could mean something though - or was this the previous incarnation he refering too?. As for the Dalek group that is rumored for the finale, it seems to point at a re-visit to the Time War in some way, maybe to alter it? I'm still unsure as to why the Doctor is not trying to do anything about it all.

The Master? It would be great if he was at the root of all of this. But who should play him? My vote still goes to Ian Richardson, but has anyone else got any suggestions?

Just to add to all the Cybermen comments; it'd be an absolute crime if the Cybermen didn't get as brilliant an episode as this one when they turn up.

I just hope we don't get all that "Cybermen copied the Borg" crap that's bound to come up. I'd love to see more of the Cybermen as they seem to be the one alien I haven't seen as much while trying to catch up with the Doctors previous to McCoy (thank you UK Gold).

Having watched 'The Keeper of Traken' this morning, it reminded me how much I'd love to see the Master again.

The Master? It would be great if he was at the root of all of this. But who should play him? My vote still goes to Ian Richardson,  but has anyone else got any suggestions?

Ian Richardson would be a brilliant choice, he can pull off that cold calculating persona so well. Derek Jacobi did a decent job voicing him in the Scream of the Shalka webcast.

Heck if they can get the one and only Gary Oldman!

[sad fanboy geek mode on] Just a wild theory here, but maybe the dalek could sense the link from the tardis that lets rose hear other aliens language as english? [sad fanboy geek mode off].

Good call, I was going to mention that 'cos didn't Rose go on a minor rant about it? I need to download some of this shit, er, or buy the DVDs or something.

"You would make a good Dalek" gave me woodgoosebumps.

Ian Richardson would be a brilliant choice, he can pull off that cold calculating persona so well. Derek Jacobi did a decent job voicing him in the Scream of the Shalka webcast.

Heck if they can get the one and only Gary Oldman!

When Eccles was still attached to series 2 I always wanted a Cracker ROUND 2 and Robert Carlysle be cast as the master. WOuld have been excellent.

Anyone else notice the Dalek was still an evil fucker and only wanted ROSE to ORDER it to kill itslef as it had been sullied by her DNA ;) Lovely touch and did it really destroy itself I wonder?

Amazingly Ace episode.

I found the Dalek well scary, and Elsie, our cat, scarpered up the stairs at full speed when he started exterminating (it was very cute - she'd come into the room very timidly in the first place).

Also, this week I managed to switch off before the spoilers!!! ;)

I assume Rose recharged the Dalek because both of them had travelled in time and had stored up energy from the Time Vortex - presumably this Dalek's ability to absorb time energy is linked with the Daleks R'n'Ding Time travel technology in the Time Wars... I'm sure it's explained by the Blinovitch Limitation Effect.

I think our writing is easily there, and in many places superior to the big US shows, the only thing that the BBC haven't quite got right is the execution, the action sequences in particular are still clunky and badly paced, possibly due to inexperience and budget restraints, but they are getting better. I think they need to give the audience a bit more credit, and give it  more of an edgy and complex tone (US scifi shows have shown this can be done without baffling and alienating the young), they seemed to be aiming a little low with the first couple of episodes but things are definitely picking up as the show progresses. The only other thing I'd say could be improved is the focus on character progression... I still think the relationship between the Doctor and Rose isn't quite there but I can't pin whether it's the writing, editing or delivery that lets this down. In spite of these issues I would now agree this has been the TV event of 2005 and I can't see anything else beating it at what it does.

What I meant was that British TV has finally come up with a decent sci-fi series after years of umming and ahhing and crime travelling.

'The Long Game' next week looked pretty terrible in the trailer to me. Anyone else think so? I was just thinking 'Colin Baker era. Colin Baker era.' throughout the ad.  :(

nope.

Oh and toonfool loved the new dalek it dealt death which was enough ;)

loved the plunger to be honest.

oh and one of the products geocomtex sells is lupus and nocenes.

Wonderful piece of television. Absolutely brilliant episode and had me gripped the entire time. Not a minute of the running time was wasted. Tight as a button and it's definitely up there at the top with my favourite Who stories.

I had a huge grin on my face when the Cyberman head was shown and I don't think it slipped throughout. ;)

Part of me wonders whether the Doctor and Rose will meet that particular Dalek again at some point (at an earlier time in it's history). Maybe they're what caused it to fall through time in the first place?

I wonder what the viewing figures will be?

One thing that was strongly noticeable to me was the striking similarities between this episode and the Big Finish audio "Jubilee" (both written by Rob Shearman) - the whole "last Dalek being tortured and needing a sense of purpose" has been lifted wholesale, as well as the way it forms a bond with the Doctor's companion; I'm even pretty sure that some of the things it says have been repeated too - the stuff about being a soldier in particular.

Fishy

When Eccles was still attached to series 2 I always wanted a Cracker ROUND 2 and Robert Carlysle be cast as the master. WOuld have been excellent.

Anyone else notice the Dalek was still an evil fucker and only wanted ROSE to ORDER it to kill itslef as it had been sullied by her DNA ;) Lovely touch and did it really destroy itself I wonder?

Now that would have been something, but does Carlyle wear a goatee well? :(

Good question too on the Dalek 'self destruct', who was it who asked whether it really exploded or just teleported? Dalek doesn't seem the type of thing to need a self destruct unless it were a mass Dalek 'lemmings wipeout' situation. Good to see a use for the bobble things anyway, they really did well to think of uses for all more seemingly cosmetic designs of the Dalek.

I did kinda wonder why the Dalek bothered with the stairs when it could've just floated straight up the centre of the stairwell (it looked wide enough to accommodate it). Would've ruined the whole breaking of the "Daleks can't climb stairs" mythos bit though I suppose.*

* And, yes, I do know about the earlier Remembrance of the Daleks stair climb before someone points it out.