IGNORED

Doctor Who

FishyFish

I'm not having any of this stuff about the Dalek knowing Rose from a previous time. He was interested in her because she wasn't scared of him, and he possibly knew she was a companion of the Doctor.

When other people touched the Dalek, they got hurt, we know that. Rose didn't get hurt. Maybe he knew she was a companion of the Doctor, maybe he was just curious about her being unafraid of him. Either way, he wanted her DNA.

If we're talking canon, he's not curious, he just needs an extra string to his bow. But if we're to believe that he self-destructed at the end of the episode, then it's not canon.

I like to think that he believed that he was the last Dalek, and maybe the torture he's gone through has generated a sense of mercy within him.

One thing I've been wondering... Rose said something about the Dalek looking at her as if it knew her. Relevent? Might we be seeing more of this Dalek?

I thought that was just because the Dalek had extracted Rose's DNA and she was now "part" of the Dalek, hence it demanding her to give the self-extermination order.

Good question too on the Dalek 'self destruct', who was it who asked whether it really exploded or just teleported? Dalek doesn't seem the type of thing to need a self destruct unless it were a mass Dalek 'lemmings wipeout' situation. Good to see a use for the bobble things anyway, they really did well to think of uses for all more seemingly cosmetic designs of the Dalek.

I reckon a Dalek self-destruct would be much more destructive to the surroundings. If a Dalek had to self-destruct, that would mean that it was in trouble/danger from its enemies. By having a Predator-style self-destruct, it could take out its enemies at the same time. Problem with this is, I am not sure why it would need an order from Rose to teleport itself.

I did kinda wonder why the Dalek bothered with the stairs when it could've just floated straight up the centre of the stairwell (it looked wide enough to accommodate it).

Maybe it can only levitate a certain distance above ground?

CJ

Another superb episode. The first encounter between the Doctor and the Dalek was edge-of-the-seat stuff - finally, after 42 years, a scene where the Doctor actually acts like he truly hates their guts.

Favourite line from this week: "Broken... broken... hairdryer..."

Is Todd from Corrie going to be a regular companion, then?

Put simply, that was one of the greatest bits of TV I've ever watched.

Come on...... It was very good, yes, but that's just ridiculous!!!

I thought the first half was way better than the second half. That first scene between Ecclestone and the Dalek truly was exceptional, a fantastic piece of writing and Ecclestone's first real "I can act" moment in the show, I thought.

Didn't think the action sequences really worked. Those soldiers should have seen their electrocution coming a mile off, I knew the Dalek was going to do it as soon as it shot the fire alarm.

What did work for me was the Dalek itself. Joe Aherne and the photography guys shot it really well. Concentrating on extreme close-ups of the blue light made it far more menacing, as when you see a Dalek in mid-to-long shot, it doesn't look particularly frightening at all. Of course, "You would make a good Dalek": Best line of the entire series so far.

Sorry to inject some sobriety into the mix, chaps! It was good, it was great, but.... Wasn't perfect.

Come on...... It was very good, yes, but that's just ridiculous!!!

Maybe. But for me it's very, very close.

I'm trying to think of a British genre series in the last 10-15 years that's been as good as this, that's had such intelligent, layered writing, such convincing performances and been so damn entertaining. The only one I think that comes close is perhaps Ultraviolet, which makes it nice to see Jo Ahearne involved in this Dr Who.

I thought the Cyberman head bit was nearly the best bit. The best bit was clearly the electrocution scene. It's not just an unstoppable death machine - it's a clever unstoppable death machine.

Maybe. But for me it's very, very close.

I'm trying to think of a British genre series in the last 10-15 years that's been as good as this, that's had such intelligent, layered writing, such convincing performances and been so damn entertaining. The only one I think that comes close is perhaps Ultraviolet, which makes it nice to see Jo Ahearne involved in this Dr Who.

If we're comparing it to other exclusively British genre series, I'd agree with you. Hell, had biglime said it was the greatest piece of British TV he'd ever seen, he may have had a point. But he didn't, he said it was the greatest piece of TV he'd ever seen, full-stop. So that includes everything from America. And when you put it up against that opposition, well the comparison just doesn't work.

If we're comparing it to other exclusively British genre series, I'd agree with you. Hell, had biglime said it was the greatest piece of British TV he'd ever seen, he may have had a point. But he didn't, he said it was the greatest piece of TV he'd ever seen, full-stop. So that includes everything from America. And when you put it up against that opposition, well the comparison just doesn't work.

Yes it does. You just like American TV.

Yes it does. You just like American TV.

I do like American TV, that's true. I can think of countless episodes of shows that have been better written, better acted, better paced, better edited and better directed than last night's Who.

That's not to say that it wasn't really good, because it was. But to say it was the best piece of telly ever is just....wrong.

I'm not having any of this stuff about the Dalek knowing Rose from a previous time. He was interested in her because she wasn't scared of him, and he possibly knew she was a companion of the Doctor.

When other people touched the Dalek, they got hurt, we know that. Rose didn't get hurt. Maybe he knew she was a companion of the Doctor, maybe he was just curious about her being unafraid of him. Either way, he wanted her DNA.

If we're talking canon, he's not curious, he just needs an extra string to his bow. But if we're to believe that he self-destructed at the end of the episode, then it's not canon.

I like to think that he believed that he was the last Dalek, and maybe the torture he's gone through has generated a sense of mercy within him.

Regarding Rose touching the Dalek didnt the Dalek say something about being affected by her DNA because she was a time traveller?

I do like American TV, that's true. I can think of countless episodes of shows that have been better written, better acted, better paced, better edited and better directed than last night's Who.

That's not to say that it wasn't really good, because it was. But to say it was the best piece of telly ever is just....wrong.

He didn't. he said it was ONE of the best he'd ever watched. can't you get it through your head someone might actually believe that without getting so precious about your own favourite shows? not everyone can stomach the pish that the US networks churn out, if youre young and growing up with it then it probably appears brilliant, but that doesn't mean it is & will have the same effect on everyone.

Just finished watching it this morning - had to tape it last night and leave half-way through and it was AGONY! That was easily the best episode of the series so far and definitely one of the most edge-of-your-seat pieces of television I've ever seen.

I thought the Cyberman head bit was nearly the best bit. The best bit was clearly the electrocution scene. It's not just an unstoppable death machine - it's a clever unstoppable death machine.

Yea, I like how they really played up that aspect of the Daleks - I was watching it with my friend this morning and he commented "The Daleks just aren't efficiently designed killing machines". I think he's right to a certain extent - we've always been brought up on athletic, nimble and efficient killers like the Alien or the Terminator, and the Daleks, by comparison, just don't present the same sense of danger.

HAVING SAID THAT...

In last nights episode they did a brilliant job of showcasing the fact that the Dalek is almost impervious to damage, with all its shielding and tank-like properties, and the fact that it could determine a really efficient way to kill using its intellect was very clever too. Also, the swiveling elevating abilities counter-balanced their otherwise antiquated design.

ALSO, the fact that all the bits on them actually did stuff meant that you can use your imagination and think about what else the other things on its body does in other situations, so that's good too.

Definitely the best acted and written episode so far, easily - Ecclestone was on form like he's never been so far in the series. And the bit at the end when it opened up and it was just a lump of mush with an eye was inspired - have they always looked like that? Way, way better than having a little green guy with arms and legs operating pulleys and levers.

I didn't quite understand how her touching it unleashed it when they said one of their men touched it and burst into flames. Anyone got an answer for me?

I think the reason other people were harmed when they touched it was because of a defence mechanism - the Dalek allowed Rose to touch it.

The only weak point of the episode, I thought, was that the Dalek was somehow able to regenerate just by someone touching it... the leap in logic was jsut too much for me.

I'm gonna make my brother watch the repeat tonight - oh, and my friend who previously described the series as rubbish said he thought Dalek was a really good episode.

OH!

I completely forgot to mention, but I thought they way they rationalised the existence of the Daleks was perfect. AFAIK, the Daleks had always just been "evil" and were bad just because, for no real reason. The way the Doctor explained the way they held all other life in contempt as inferior and described it as the ultimate in ethnic cleansing really put a believable spin on things.

OH!

I completely forgot to mention, but I thought they way they rationalised the existence of the Daleks was perfect.  AFAIK, the Daleks had always just been "evil" and were bad just because, for no real reason.  The way the Doctor explained the way they held all other life in contempt as inferior and described it as the ultimate in ethnic cleansing really put a believable spin on things.

Well yeah, that's how Davros rationalised them in Geneis. "When they have dominated and destroyed everything else, then we will have peace. They have the power not of evil, but of good!" :( most amusing

I enjoyed this episode but also found it a bit of a let down too. I am starting to think the show should be called "Rose featuring Dr Who" as Rose seems to get the more important parts of the episodes than the Dr himself. I mean first she turns the Dr into a bit of a pussy and now a Dalek too. Sorry but the Daleks should be the ultimate killing machines that have no pity or guilt, instead when rose touches it it becomes all emotional and starts to doubt its existence.

Also the bullet time effect didnt need to be there, I mean how many times has that been used?

Although I must admit I did enjoy the episode, even with the problems I had with it and I am looking forward to the episodes when the Daleks return in full force.

not everyone can stomach the pish that the US networks churn out, if youre young and growing up with it then it probably appears brilliant, but that doesn't mean it is & will have the same effect on everyone.

Pish like....24? West Wing? Sopranos? Six Feet Under?

Jesus Christ.....

Also the bullet time effect didnt need to be there, I mean how many times has that been used?

As soon as I saw the effect I thought "Uh-oh", but it was actually spot-on, showed off the force field really well.